collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:24:14 AM]

FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gary Gardner - Retired  (Read 166966 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Gary Gardner
« Reply #405 on: August 09, 2016, 01:08:24 PM »
He can't pass, he can't tackle, he can't shoot, he isn't creative.

He could do all of those things, whether he still can I'm beginning to doubt now. He didn't look entirely fit on Sunday which is a bit disturbing as this should have been the fittest he's been for a few years.

It will be pretty sad if he doesn't fulfill his potential here.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #406 on: August 09, 2016, 06:44:12 PM »
Gary certainly looked off the pace of the game on Sunday. I'd play him against Luton tomorrow night. He needs matches.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #407 on: August 09, 2016, 06:58:33 PM »
Gary certainly looked off the pace of the game on Sunday. I'd play him against Luton tomorrow night. He needs matches.

While I think the biggest problem is not being in game shape at the moment.. he has absolutely no presence. He never dropped deep to get the ball and distribute it up the pitch. He never turned a defender, he never made a penetrating pass, he never dribbled into space, didn't break up play. We need a midfielder (especially if they are going to be paired with Westwood) that is going to turn and attack. That is capable of shooting in and around the box.

He had absolutely no offensive prowess. First game of the season he should be raring to go. Not only was I not impressed but I didn't see a single glimpse of promise. Tshibola comes on a puts him to shame and the kid has been at the club for a fortnight.

I think RDM made a big mistake with that starting midfield.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #408 on: August 09, 2016, 07:04:50 PM »

While I think the biggest problem is not being in game shape at the moment.. he has absolutely no presence. He never dropped deep to get the ball and distribute it up the pitch. He never turned a defender, he never made a penetrating pass, he never dribbled into space, didn't break up play. We need a midfielder (especially if they are going to be paired with Westwood) that is going to turn and attack. That is capable of shooting in and around the box.

He had absolutely no offensive prowess. First game of the season he should be raring to go. Not only was I not impressed but I didn't see a single glimpse of promise. Tshibola comes on a puts him to shame and the kid has been at the club for a fortnight.

I think RDM made a big mistake with that starting midfield.

Can't argue with any of that but because Gary's one of our own and been desperately unlucky with long term injuries I think we all want to see him given a run of games that gives him the chance to nail down a first team place and prove his career isn't over at this level.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #409 on: August 09, 2016, 07:08:18 PM »
Joe Bennett looks like his gone, so how does Gardner who in a Villa shirt has actually done less than Bennett , hold on??

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #410 on: August 09, 2016, 07:23:20 PM »

he needs matches?

bugger me he played 20 odd times for forest last season and has had pre season

if something looks like shit, smells like shit and tastes  like shit then it usually is shit

this time next year rodney

Online Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #411 on: August 09, 2016, 07:40:53 PM »
Maybe he just had a bad game against Sheffield Wednesday, I was critical of him after it but I'd like to see him a few more times. Someone on here pointed out that a lack of confidence can make a player seem poorer than they are too.

I think it was the foul he conceded near half way by dragging their player down from behind that got me. Made me grimace.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #412 on: August 09, 2016, 07:45:40 PM »

he needs matches?

if something looks like shit, smells like shit and tastes  like shit then it usually is shit

Er, actually it could be my wife's Swedish meatballs, and no, that's not a euphemism.

Offline willenhall villa

« Reply #413 on: August 09, 2016, 07:47:48 PM »
I think we may be going down the road of making our minds up to early again on players.

He's played his first league game in god knows how many years and because it wasn't the best suddenly he's the worst of the two Gardner brothers.

I saw him play for Forest and he was more commending that what he was the other day. Time and a little patience.
If we do sign the midfielder the Dr Tony has said we may be signing before Saturday, it may be the player that Gary can hopefully play alongside. The thing for e is that with Ayew playing behind Gestede our midfield can sometimes be very congested and no real out ball.
Hopefully this will change this season.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #414 on: August 09, 2016, 07:53:24 PM »
Can't shoot? He's got one of the best shots from long range in this division as he's shown with Forest in the past two seasons.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #415 on: August 09, 2016, 07:59:18 PM »
He buried one beautifully from a Green cut back at Cambridge. He can shoot.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #416 on: August 09, 2016, 08:49:47 PM »
He buried one beautifully from a Green cut back at Cambridge. He can shoot.

all well and good but his got the speed of a sloth

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #417 on: August 09, 2016, 08:52:31 PM »

he needs matches?

Er, actually it could be my wife's Swedish meatballs, and no, that's not a euphemism.

i prefer her dumplings  :o

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #418 on: August 09, 2016, 08:56:34 PM »

he needs matches?

Very doughy with an odd taste and texture. Her tenderloin is melts in the mouth.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #419 on: August 09, 2016, 09:00:33 PM »

he needs matches?

Very doughy with an odd taste and texture. Her tenderloin is melts in the mouth.

You're both making me giggle while I'm trying to hide on the bog at work. Pack it in please.

Good editing Tayls. Her tenderloin was merely 'passable' two minutes ago. Is she looking over your shoulder?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:03:03 PM by Percy McCarthy »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal