collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gary Gardner - Retired  (Read 166775 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: Gary Gardner
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2014, 04:16:01 PM »
It's difficult to look at anything he did at Norwich because they played in three different divisions in three seasons, but I suppose fielding the youngest Villa side in living memory is one of the things that make me feel he'll be more likely to develop our own youth.

Somebody said that he had been to all the U21 and U19 games they had attended so he's obviously interested enough to be watching them as much as possible. I imagine he has individual plans for the most talented one's that he thinks could become first team players. He'll also want to protect them as much as possible. Throwing kids in early can be the making of them but it can also be the end of them. Don't play well and they feel they've missed their chance. Play well and the fan's expectations of them are raised which can be another weight on their shoulders.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2014, 04:17:44 PM »
It's difficult to look at anything he did at Norwich because they played in three different divisions in three seasons, but I suppose fielding the youngest Villa side in living memory is one of the things that make me feel he'll be more likely to develop our own youth.

And as I said, the fact that he hasn't given a single academy player a debut in the PL would suggest that he wont. If he would rather play Matty Lowton, who I rate but struggles massively defensively, at centre back over a very promising centre half in Donacien then I would think he's not overly bothered.  Fair enough he's fielded a very young team but is that not because he's fallen out with almost every senior player at the club and couldn't sign experience from elsewhere?  I don't think that is an indicator of his ability to utilise our excellent youth system.

Grealish will be the acid test as he's done so well while out on loan.  Lambert went on about how the young players needed real experience in games that mattered.  That's exactly what Grealish has got and he's excelled.

Offline eastie

« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2014, 04:30:54 PM »
If grealish is not part of the squad next season I would hope he could be loaned to a championship side and see how he does at that level .
I hear the Fonz excelled for coventry last night - he struggled at blackpool so maybe will need to drop down to league one .
Gardner needs game time now as his contract is ending and he needs to show what he can do .

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2014, 08:57:55 PM »
I think one of the problems we have and why younger players have not been brought into the team is that we never seem to have easy games.  We are just as likely to lose to a bottom club as a top club.  There is such a fine dividing line between losing and winning (or picking up a point).  Lambert has gone into his shell and is playing it safe.  The pressure on him this season is immense as you only have to come on here after we lose to see that.  The safe option is to keep on rotating the same group of players. He does not seem to have the confidence to throw a young player in.  I have always thought if a young player goes into the team with confidence, this carries him through the first 2 or 3 games and then you can judge how he handles it.

In Gardner's case I would start to bring him on as substitute as he could be a straight replacement for a midfield player or a replacement for a forward if we change from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2.  We just need to create a few more points gap between ourselves and the teams at the bottom to give Lambert more confidence to try and evolve the team.  Other than a few games recently, we have looked very stale and just going through the motions.  We lack a spark and it all looks very heavy going.

Offline hartman_1982

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2014, 12:26:55 PM »
Realistically though who would you put in? Donacien is a prospect but he is very young and I think you have to be a little bit more careful throwing in players at the back because one mistake can cost you points. I agree the most promisi is Grealish by a mile though and I expect him to get a real shot to stake a claim for a first team role during pre season.

Gardner needs games. I hope he gets a chance before the end of the season and fills the undoubted potential he showed pre injuries.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2014, 12:48:34 PM »
Carruthers is the one that surprises me. Didn't look out of place in his few appearances under McLeish, and yet not really a sniff since then.

Offline BoskoDjembaSalifou

• BoskoDjembaSalifou
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2014, 01:18:16 PM »
Gone on loan to Sheffield Wednesday. Hope he does well there!

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2014, 01:19:47 PM »
It's make or break for him now.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2014, 01:29:16 PM »
A month to earn himself another chance here and contract.  Over to you, Gary.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2014, 01:30:21 PM »

Has GG been out on loan before or has he never been fit enough for long enough for it to be considered ?

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2014, 01:33:43 PM »
Needs this but more importantly needs to stay fit now and impress there.

It's time to turn all there so called "potentially" great kids into excellent pros who can come in and improve this club.

Offline eastie

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2014, 01:34:42 PM »

Has GG been out on loan before or has he never been fit enough for long enough for it to be considered ?

He was on loan at coventry two years ago but got injured.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:36:35 PM by eastie »

Offline dekko

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2014, 01:36:59 PM »
Hopefully he'll do well and force himself into contention, similar to Albrighton.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2014, 01:51:50 PM »
Yes, Albrighton is a clear example of a player standing at exit with his bags packed only to really work hard and turn his situation around. He has been excellent in the last couple of games and will in all likelihood earn himself a new deal.

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2014, 02:16:15 PM »
Gone on loan to Sheffield Wednesday. Hope he does well there!

Been on a good run results wise! Until last night!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal