collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:59:21 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 07:52:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gary Gardner - Retired  (Read 166953 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: Gary Gardner
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2014, 05:08:41 PM »
I haven't seen him play much as I don't watch the under 21's, but the only thing he has ever done in the first XI is miss a sitter at Wolves.

Pretty harsh. Wasn't it his shot that Schwarzer failed to hold, allowing Weimann to get a last minute winner against Fulham in McLeish's season? The last win we got which effectively kept us up.
I also remember him coming on at Newcastle when we lost 2-1 (Robbie Keane for us) when he galvanised the midfield and was unlucky not to score an equaliser.

The boy has got a lot going for him. I can't remember us having a player picked for England U-21's when he's not even playing for his club/on loan.

Correct. Weimann and Gardner both came on as late subs, Gardner had a pop that Schwarzer couldn't hold onto and Weimann followed it up to tap in.

He's not exactly set the world on fire but between his serious injuries and the manager's that he played under, that's hardly surprising. I would hate to see us casually release him and then see him start to live up to his potential somewhere else. We could just as easily have been in the same position with Delph and imagine if he was putting in these performances with one of our rivals. He needs to be playing regular football again to see if he can live up to the hype.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 05:12:22 PM »
Could he fill Westwood's shoes for a game or two? I think Westwood could do with being out of the team for a week or two.

Offline eastie

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2014, 05:23:41 PM »
I think he needs a run of games as we need to see how well he has recovered from a bad injury - hopefully he will find form and earn a new deal as he showed great potential before his injuries.

Offline richardhubbard

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2014, 06:06:12 PM »
I know he has been injured, but is he any good, I never seen him play , barring i think v Man united 2011-12

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2014, 08:22:47 PM »
When I saw him in the few first team appearances he made, I thought he seemed off the pace. Also he did not appear to have much natural speed himself although I suppose this can be overcome with awareness etc. Stan wasn't the quickest round the pitch was he?

Online frank black

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2014, 08:41:32 PM »
I am guessing here, but I would think that Gardener's last deal was negotiated during more speculative times at VP.

Is he worth a similar deal?
Is he worth a pay rise?

I would suggest we can put his and Albrighton's wages to more effective use with a good first team replacement. Unless of course he is in fact the dogs doodahs, which based upon the appearances I have witnessed have no idea.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2014, 09:02:49 PM »
So he has made 18 appearances for the club, many a substitute and people are writing him off.  For a young player who has had his career disrupted by two serious injuries, how can people conclude he is not good enough.  With that sort of judgement you should be Premier League managers.

He needs to be brought into the team through the rest of this season and not stuck out wide as he was when McLeish was here.  If he could develop on the potential he showed earlier in his career he could be the central midfield player we have been lacking.  I would extend his contract by 2 years and, if needs be, sending out on loan at the beginning of next season.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2014, 09:08:42 PM »
He needs a loan spell I think. He's coming back from injury and is still a young player so I don't think it is right that we throw him into the bearpit of the Premiership especially as he's only likely to be making sub appearances. A spell at a Championship team where he will make regular starts will do him the power of good.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2014, 09:15:27 PM »
he's 21. delph had the same injuries at his age, and look at him now. i doubt gardner is on big money, and he'll want to prove himself at villa.

Delph had one big advantage over Gardner in that he played a lot whilst at Leeds.  I fear that the whole 10,000 rule will hamper Gardner:  In the years where he really needed to be playing to stay ahead of his peers he's suffered horrific injuries. 

I'd offer him another deal, 2 years on the same terms (guessing 5k a week) and send him away on loan for a whole season.  He won't improve playing sporadic reserve/u21 matches.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2014, 09:41:57 PM »
Have we gone past the date when we can loan him out to a lower league club?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2014, 09:45:39 PM »
No we can tell Walsall that they "have lot of injuries" and need a loan player.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2014, 10:21:44 PM »
I am guessing here, but I would think that Gardener's last deal was negotiated during more speculative times at VP.

Is he worth a pay rise?

I would suggest we can put his and Albrighton's wages to more effective use with a good first team replacement. Unless of course he is in fact the dogs doodahs, which based upon the appearances I have witnessed have no idea.

Would he (the same applies to Albrighton) be prepared to take a pay cut if they're on more than their current status merits? I would imagine that they probably would.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2014, 09:24:42 AM »

Is he worth a pay rise?

Would he (the same applies to Albrighton) be prepared to take a pay cut if they're on more than their current status merits? I would imagine that they probably would.

I would imagine even with a possible wage cut, he would still earn more at VP than anywhere else, given that he would still be a bit of a risk for the new club.

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2014, 09:40:56 AM »
I think a few have already said it he needs to go on loan and get some games under his belt!

Offline BoskoDjembaSalifou

• BoskoDjembaSalifou
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2014, 12:21:17 PM »
I really hope we give Gardner a new deal. The injuries have prevented him from showing us what he can do. He's only 21!

I think time is up for Albrighton though. He's 24 now and I don't think he'll ever be a Premier League regular.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal