collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Carew on BTSport  (Read 9243 times)

Offline bodkins14

Re: John Carew on BTSport
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2014, 10:46:25 AM »
Not only did he say Villa was his club he also said he would have gone back and played for nothing

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2014, 10:53:34 AM »
When he was on fire (always preferred that chant), we were a very , very good side. Too often though he couldn't be bothered, which was a shame. On his day, nobody could handle him.

Offline SO Villa

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2014, 10:55:07 AM »
Dion Dublin strikes me as someone who would rather be known as a Manchester Utd player, and his views on us seem to be a bit ill informed.

Totally disagree.

I saw him doing punditry once on a Villa match and after the game they asked Dublin something, he replied, and whoever the studio douchebag was said "But you're biased, they're your team", to which he replied "Of course I am biased, I've got 5 and a half years of bias in me".

I think he's a terrible pundit - he can hardly string a coherent sentence together.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2014, 11:02:59 AM »
Dion Dublin strikes me as someone who would rather be known as a Manchester Utd player, and his views on us seem to be a bit ill informed.

Totally disagree.

I saw him doing punditry once on a Villa match and after the game they asked Dublin something, he replied, and whoever the studio douchebag was said "But you're biased, they're your team", to which he replied "Of course I am biased, I've got 5 and a half years of bias in me".

I think he's a terrible pundit - he can hardly string a coherent sentence together.

Nope

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2014, 12:17:50 PM »
When he was on fire (always preferred that chant),

"Get yer tits out for Carew" was also one of the Holte's more original chants.

Offline supertom

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2014, 01:21:27 PM »
I love Big John. Fucking brilliant player. On his day unplayable. I think to some extent we just needed that decent third striking option that  O Neill never got right. Big John wasn't a player who could last 90 minutes or play 50 times a season at his best. You needed to rotate him better. There's no doubting that we saw the best of Carew and for someone so nomadic, he stayed her for 4 pretty good years. Houllier coming in was the death knell for him sadly. Their previous history always meant he'd struggle under Gerard.

But honestly, look back over his villa goals montage on youtube and then try and think how many finer compilations you could find from other Villa strikers. Not many. Some of his goals were world class, and often out of absolutely nothing. Great rapport with the fans and  outside of Norway, he's not been more loved at a club than he was here.

Lets face it though, if Carew was consistent he'd never have been at the Villa in a million years, he'd have been at Real Madrid.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2014, 01:25:33 PM »
I love Big John. Fucking brilliant player. On his day unplayable. I think to some extent we just needed that decent third striking option that  O Neill never got right. Big John wasn't a player who could last 90 minutes or play 50 times a season at his best. You needed to rotate him better. There's no doubting that we saw the best of Carew and for someone so nomadic, he stayed her for 4 pretty good years. Houllier coming in was the death knell for him sadly. Their previous history always meant he'd struggle under Gerard.

But honestly, look back over his villa goals montage on youtube and then try and think how many finer compilations you could find from other Villa strikers. Not many. Some of his goals were world class, and often out of absolutely nothing. Great rapport with the fans and  outside of Norway, he's not been more loved at a club than he was here.

Lets face it though, if Carew was consistent he'd never have been at the Villa in a million years, he'd have been at Real Madrid.

Agreed.

Offline Singapore Villa

• GM : 09.06.2019
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2014, 02:25:46 PM »
I just watched a montage on YouTube of Carew's Villa goals and there were some belters.  Very good finisher with his head.  Also, just realised how many of them were created by Young, Milner and Barry!

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2014, 05:08:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure he scored a couple of "worldies" for Valencia against Real Madrid, much to our excitement when we were looking over his past work just before he joined.

Re saying he would have gone back to Villa and played for nothing. That's nice revisionism and all but I'd rather he have just tried a bit harder when he played for us but as has been said above, that's probably the biggest single thing that stopped him being a "worldy" himself.

*Sorry, that word infiltrated our lexicon circa 2013 and it's hard to shift the bastid.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2014, 05:20:13 PM »
Main thought watching those Carew goals is that we scored shed loads of goals from set pieces under O'Neill

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2014, 05:38:39 PM »
Main thought watching those Carew goals is that we scored shed loads of goals from set pieces under O'Neill

I don't know if my memory is playing tricks but, didn't the media have sly digs at us about the amount of goals we scored from set pieces as opposed to from open play? 

It was as though they thought it wasn't fair.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2014, 10:54:35 PM »
I heard big John on Talk shite last week and he said that once he had left the Villa is enthusiasm for the game had left him.

He only spoke positively about the club and the fans.
It looked to me like he lost his enthusiasm for the game before he left the villa.

Not a particularly unique opinion, but on his day he was unplayable, he was just a little too inconsistent.

Good at VP. Not so good away from home

Two things he did know. Three, in fact.

1. How to celebrate a goal.
2. A photo opportunity when he saw one.
3. How to celebrate a goal against Small Heath with the Holte End.

He had his faults, but Christ, thinking back to it, it makes the current time seem even more boring.

All time classic. In 100 years time when stadiums are full of virtual fans our great grand children will remind people of moments like this.

Great picture - even some of the noses I know said it was a good celebration.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2014, 10:57:50 PM »
I think he may have only scored one but one game v Bolton we won 4/5-1 he absolutely battered Knight and Cahill and those pair are no pushovers physically.

Offline peter w

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2014, 11:13:25 PM »
"Good to see that Villa aligned pundits are growing in number."

Needs to be. Theres way too many Liverpool on there at the moment.

I was talking to someone about this the other day and he pointed out that villa are very well represented in punditry across the channels

Collymore
Southgate
Townsend
Saunders
Yorke
Keown
Merson
McInally

And McMahon.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2014, 11:28:50 PM »

I don't know if my memory is playing tricks but, didn't the media have sly digs at us about the amount of goals we scored from set pieces as opposed to from open play? 

It was as though they thought it wasn't fair.

It wasn't just in the media. There was a Manx accountant on here who seemed to think they didn't count.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal