collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:08:40 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:06:25 PM]

Diego Carlos by KevinGage
[Today at 09:42:35 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:40:37 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Gareth
[Today at 09:40:00 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:21 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by algy
[Today at 09:18:36 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by AV84
[Today at 09:01:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: View From the Opposition - WBA fan  (Read 29696 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: View From the Opposition - WBA fan
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 10:47:50 PM »
1. The game at the Hawthorns finished 2-2. What was your assessment of the game?

We were awful first half and while Long's touch for his first goal was world class we just didn't turn up.  Second half was a completely different story however and Steve Clarke looked like he didn't have a clue what to do when Lambert made the triple substitution.

2. WBA recently sacked Steve Clarke and appointed Pepe Mel. What were your thoughts on Clarke's sacking and the appointment of Pepe Mel?

Harsh on Clarke but there were signs (like the Villa game) that he was being found lacking.  I thought he deserved more time though.  I'd literally never heard of Pepe Mel.  He seems to have picked up English quickly?  Best I can offer you.

3. Paul Lambert has been receiving some criticism from supporters. Is he still the right man for AVFC?

Yep, but only because no one can think of anyone better! (oh, and changing managers every season is hardly a recipe for success)

4. Villa have signed Grant Holt and Ryan Bertrand. What are your opinions on these additions?

Bertrand looked good on his debut but it's early days.  Holt looked mediocre on his debut but it's early days.  I can understand the logic for both but we still haven't got the creative midfielder we've needed since Milner left.

5. Are there any other positions which need strengthening during January?

See above.  We're genuinely desperate!

6. Anelka has been in the headlines for the wrong reasons. What have you made of the situation? Does he warrant a suspension and for how long?

The guy's a prick.  Always has been and always will be.  This is just another in a long line of selfish and moronic acts.

7. If you were to form a side using Albion/Villa players - what would the side be?

Villa strikers, mostly Olbiyun midfield, mix of both in defence and Guzan in goal.

8. Which side shall win the league & which three sides shall be relegated?

Man City.  Don't care as long as it's not the Villa.

9. What side is Paul Lambert likely to choose for our encounter?

There are some certs - Guzan, Vlaar, Delph, Westwood, Benteke, Wiemann, Agbonlahor.  The others will be a mix of Bacuna, Lowton, Bertrand, Luna, Sylla, El Ahmadi, and Albrighton.

10. And finally, score predictions.

1-1

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 11:16:17 PM »
The west brom players id have would be, in order: Morrison, berahino, mulumbu, olsson, amalfitano. Morrison most likely to be first choice. Maybe mulumbu too

Foster is good but we don't  need him. I'd have had Shane long at villa too.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 11:20:37 PM »
1.) Great game. The three at once subs was risky but fun. Lambert taking his shirt off at the same time was a great moment. I thought in the first half you lot would destroy us. At the end it was a fair draw.

2.) I thought Clarke did a decent job, but Mel seems like a clear upgrade in my opinion. If we end up changing manager I hope we get a similar manager to mel. Good job.

3.) Yes he is. Miserable bastard at times but he is tactically smart and has an eye for a bargain. I wish he boosted our midfield though.

4.) TBD. We shall see. Both had decent starts. Lambert seems to like to collect strikers like Pokemon though.

5.) Midfield, midfield, midfield.

6.) No opinion really, I dont understand it tbh. Just happy one of your players is no longer an option for our game.

7.) I would take Lugano, Yacob and maybe Mulumbu from you lot. The rest I wold have our squad.

8.) Dont care, and dont care so long as its not Villa.

9.) The team will be our usual suspects. The formation though could be a surprise. He might even go with 3/5 at the back again.

10.) Dont know. Beauty of derby games, everything goes out the window.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 12:44:13 AM »
1. The game at the Hawthorns finished 2-2. What was your assessment of the game?

Horrifying first half where you got Zlatan Ibrahimovic to where an impressive Shane Long mask. Second half we came back and you wilted. Great Westwood goal.

2. WBA recently sacked Steve Clarke and appointed Pepe Mel. What were your thoughts on Clarke's sacking and the appointment of Pepe Mel?

Maybe harsh, but I'm impressed with Mel P and his previous records, and the change in the way you played against Everton was really instantaneous. Annoyingly.

3. Paul Lambert has been receiving some criticism from supporters. Is he still the right man for AVFC?

Well, people say he needs to be given time, but see above for how quickly you can see the signs of a new manager stamping their way of playing on teams. If he really was going to be the guy to get us playing top stuff, we'd have seen a f**k of a lot more evidence by now IMO. However, as Paulie said, we don't really have a choice but to hope he is the right man.

4. Villa have signed Grant Holt and Ryan Bertrand. What are your opinions on these additions?

No problems with the signings there. Holt is short term Benteke-cover while Kozak is injured and I'm sure he'll do fine, while Bertrand is clearly a step up on the other left backs available.

It's attacking midfield, stoopid.

6. Anelka has been in the headlines for the wrong reasons. What have you made of the situation? Does he warrant a suspension and for how long?

This is a weird one. I don't like the French way of banning someone like Dieudonné, no matter how reprehensible their views are, because banning things like racism only gives them a horrible underground glamour, whereas it's much better to humiliate them in the open. However, football is perfectly entitled to disallow its participants from expressing apparent sympathy with such views on the pitch, as Zoopla are entitled to end a sponsorship deal they don't feel comfortable with (providing, of course, that they break no contracts). They can suspend him for as long as they want.

7. If you were to form a side using Albion/Villa players - what would the side be?

Aston Villa Football Club.

I'd love Arsenal to win, but the dictator-owned oil arseholes at City will probably get it in the end. As for relegation, who the hell knows, though if West Ham keep Allardyce for too long I'd be stunned if they stay up.

Guzan; Bacuna, Vlaar, Clark, Bertrand; Delph, Westwood, Hoolahan (obvs); Weimann, Benteke, Agbonlahor.

One fucking million - nil. To Villa.

Offline peter w

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 08:18:40 AM »

Youi went to pieces

Haven't given it a thought.

Yes

Holt was an odd one but gives us a different option up top. Bertrand is a definite improvement on what we have at left-back.

Yes

Not really bothered.

Don't really know many of your players. Amalfitano seems decent. Berhaino is a prospect. Is Morrison still playing for you?

Man City

Cardiff
West Ham
Sunderland

Guzan

Lowton
Vlaar
Clark
Bertrand

KEA
Westwood
Delph

Gabby
Benteke
Weimann

1-1

Online ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 09:13:23 AM »
Hi, folks.

Again, if you could complete the questionnaire beneath it would be much appreciated - the finished article will then be provided in this topic early next week.

Missed the first goal as the stewards took so long searching us. We were crap until we made the double substitution, then all us until the last 10 minutes.
Seemed harsh sacking Clarke, he'd done a pretty good job. Think your chairman needs to actually spend some money for once. Pepe Mel did well with Betis, will see if he can work well in a different country.
Hmm, hopefully. Did well getting rid of the dead wood from our squad (Ireland in particular). Think we need more experience, particularly in midfield and a centre-back would be useful.
Bertrand should be good, have liked him for a while. Holt, adds cheating and experience, but not amazed by him.
Centre-Back, defensive midfield and an attacking midfielder. I'm hopeful that our full-backs will look better with some cover in defensive midfield.
I think he definitely deserves a suspension, if only to prove to him that he has done something wrong. I think more than 5 games would be harsh though.
Guzan, Olsson, Vlaar, Bertrand, Lowton, Mulumbu, Delph, Bacuna, Agbonlahor, Amalfitano, Benteke
Man City probably, with Chelsea in second. Christ, anyone of about 12 crap sides. Palace always go down, Cardiff and Norwich. No idea how Swansea are below us.
Guzan, Vlaar, Clark, Bertrand, Lowton or Bacuna, Delph, Westwood, El Ahmadi, Agbonlahor, Weimann, Benteke
I'll go for 1-1, as we're shite at home
Thank you.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 09:42:08 AM »

I thought we were desperately poor right up until we brought on three subs. You could almost hear the collective filling of the pants going around the ground and I think that fear transferred to your players too. You got a little deeper and it almost became inevitable that we would pull it back.

I think it’s a poor decision to sack Clarke. I don't think you had being doing too badly given the quality of squad and level of outlay. It's pretty tight in the bottom half and a win can move you clear. The length of time it took to appoint a successor was something of a shambles.

Yes he is. Things are not great, especially at home, but the club has a plan and by hook or crook, it appears to be working. If the home form was as good as the away form, we would be above Man United. It's got to be sorted out as it's been poor for way too long.

Holt is cover for Kozak who has broken his leg. He is not the player I would have signed, but I think a lot of it is down to his presence and experience. We're far too nice a side and Holt will hopefully inject some much needed nastiness into our young squad.

Bertrand looks a quality player. Early days, but I hope we sign him permanently.

Our midfield is in desperate need of one or two more players. A proper ball winning midfielder and a play maker are a must. I think this would have a real positive impact on our home form.

I think so yes. There is no place in football for any of that anti-Semitic nonsense. The anti-establishment line does not wash with me, coming from a millionaire who drives a £250,000 sports car.

If all our players were fit, then I would probably include Mulumbu and Morrison in our midfield and I would take Olsen into the squad too.

I will be very surprised if Man City do not win the league. I think Sunderland, Cardiff and Palace will go down.

Fitness of Gabby permitting, the same one he picked at Liverpool, unless we sign some new players in between now and the game.

I think we will win this one, by how many is anybody's guess though.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 09:44:53 AM by Ads »

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 10:49:45 AM »
As usual, a complete class response from our Louzie0 there.
Class girly, complete class. 8) 8)

It's always nice to be appreciated. Thanks, DanL!

ahh..get a room you two...;)

Offline supertom

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 11:00:12 AM »
I thought we were getting murdered in the first half and were lucky to get in at half time at 2-0. We made it far too easy for you though and Shane Long looked as good as he'll ever look. Second half we were resolute and came back well.

I felt he deserved more time, though results throughout 2013 were poor. The new guy? No idea. He's either going to do very well or be a complete disaster. I'd not be surprised to see the Baggies fighting for their lives come the final game.
Not sure to be honest. We've been mostly very poor this season but we're sitting reasonably comfortably despite that. Much depends on what happens in the remainder of the season. We need to make a couple more decent signings and start playing more like we did against Liverpool.
Holt seemed a strange signing but he's just a loan to cover the injured Kozak. He's got a bit of nous which we've been lacking. Bertrand is a decent young player and his debut was promising. I'd love to see him here next season.
Midfield. It's been our problem area for years now. We never replaced Milner sufficiently, or later, Stan Petrov. We keep debating about the mythical number 10 playmaker we need, but just as much we need quality players in the middle who can pass the ball and influence games better.
He's well past it. It was a ridiculous signing to bring him in. He's come purely for a last pay day and has been trouble ever since. Aside from a couple of games he's delivered chuff all on the pitch. You should cut your losses on Le Sulk.
Guzan, Bertrand, Vlaar, Olssen, Lowton, Delph, Malumbu, Brunt, Gabby, Benteke, Amalfitano.
I'd prefer Arsenal, but I think City will have the legs. West Ham, Cardiff, Sunderland.
If possible the same 11 that started against Liverpool. Although he may put Holt in there for some additional physical presence.
2-0 Villa.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 11:02:46 AM »

tl;dr version = Anelka. c***!

Otherwise, read on for more about the gesture.

I can understand people not really understanding the Anelka gesture but peter w, maybe you should be bothered because anyone who manipulates people, words, objects and gestures the way Dieudonné does is sinister at least and potentially dangerous. What happens in France can affect what happens in the UK, as history as often shown.

The "quenelle" gesture is particularly pernicious because it is named after an innocent delicacy famous in French gastronomy. He could have named it "the Nazi salute revisited so we won't get nicked for doing it". It's akin to Jim Davidson sticking his arm out and calling it the Spotted Dick. Doing "the Spotted Dick" catches on among the EDL-inclined and it becomes a subversive de facto anti-Semitic gesture. Then, ol' Nick Nick writes a song called "ShoahPapaya" and sings it at every gig holding a papaya. The songs becomes an anti-Jew anthem, but you can't be done for it because you are actually singing about a piece of fruit, aren't you (Dieudonné was singing Shoananas which is a portmanteau word mad of Shoah and ananas (pineapple in French).

This might seem funny but since Dieudonné has been doing all this if I were to wander around in public holding a pineapple today, I would probably get all sorts of looks (or a kicking) because it would probably be interpreted as racist/anti-Semitic. Dieudonné has taken common nouns such as "pineapple" and "quenelle" (a fancy type of dumpling speciality, if you like) and infused them with a new sinister meaning.

Montbert, the French government often piles in and manages things their "way". I'm not sure banning his shows are the best response (and the legal arguments are of the "potential breach of the peace, blah, blah type. And, I'm sure not everybody who goes to see Dieudonné's shows are raving neo-nazis. Nevertheless, those who defend Dieudonné, saying it's just a bit of a laugh should have a look at the photos on the site I link to below. I certainly believe the "quenelle" and the "pineapple" should not be encouraged.

Have a look at the website, see a) who is doing the quenelle and b) where they are doing it* and ask yourself this: should Anelka have done it on his particular stage?

Website: for those who think the quenelle is not anti-semitic (in French but you only need to know that the words juif, juive, juiverie mean Jew, Jewess and Jewish quarter and "four" means oven).

* The one taken in front of the school in Toulouse where Mohammed Merah gunned down a father and his three kids is particularly distasteful (well, actually there are loads, take your pick).

Sorry for hijacking the Smethwick questionnaire.

3-1 to Aston Villa.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 11:06:02 AM by Bad English »

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 11:13:51 AM »
Those photo's seem pretty convincing to me what the arm gesture means

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2014, 12:12:02 PM »
Hi, folks.

Again, if you could complete the questionnaire beneath it would be much appreciated - the finished article will then be provided in this topic early next week.

Game of 2 halves. Albion should have been out of sight mind.

Quite harsh though losing that bloke to the FA probably a big gap to fill. No idea re Mel. Then again the UK based options were limited

As others state we have little choice. Villa is not an easy job under normal circumstances and we are not under such circumstances. The fact he isn't McLeish is no longer enough.

Holt. Meh - sends out bad signal to Helenius and Bowery. Bertrand Good. Very Good in fact.

Conservatively at least 3.

He should have apologised immediately when the connatations became clear. Yep suspension is in order. No great loss. To anyone

Mid table

Man Cit-eh. 3 from 11. Porbably Cardiff + Fulham + A.N. Other

The one v Liverpool team if all available

3-1
Thank you.

Offline freethinker

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 02:08:16 PM »
Thanks for your post Bad English - very informative. I can honestly say I didn't know anything about this 'gesture' before Anelka did it.

Those photos are quite shocking (the wanker doing it next to a waxwork model of Anne Frank particularly annoyed me). What surprises me is how widespread anti-Jewish sentiment seems to be in France, and by the looks of it not just amongst people of Arab descent. Whilst I often hear people in England criticising the Israeli government, it is thankfully rare to encounter anti-Jewish sentiment like that displayed in those photos.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 02:15:48 PM by freethinker »

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 02:12:35 PM »
Thanks for the post Bad English - very informative. I can honestly say I didn't know anything about this 'gesture' before Anelka did it.

Those photos are quite shocking (the wanker doing it next to a waxwork model of Anne Frank particularly annoyed me). What surprises me is how widespread anti-Jewish sentiment seems to be in France, and by the looks of it not just amongst people of Arab descent. Whilst I often hear people in England criticising the Isreali government, it is thankfully rare to encounter anti-Jewish sentiment like that displayed in those photos.

The saddest thing about those photos is how many of them are young. Like, really young, 20s and down. Anti-Semitism is the one prejudice the rise of which has an apocalyptic feel about it - people get riled about Bulgarians, or Romanians, or Poles, or Irish, or Caribbeans or whatever, but anti-Jewish prejudice has a paranoid psychotic character, a conspiratorial nutbag element.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 03:24:36 PM »
We can all now await the WBA troll getting arsey after the game again, this poster has previous.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal