collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Formation and Stick to It  (Read 3783 times)

Offline Loxton01

Formation and Stick to It
« on: January 17, 2014, 01:23:26 PM »
Following the signing of Bertrand and Holt it made me think about Formations for the rest of the season and how we can get the best out of the players we have for me this is what I would do

HOME

Guzan

Lowton                    Vlaar                                Clark or Baker                   Bertrand

Albrighton                           Delph                      Sylla                              Gabby

Benteke                   Holt

We have to be more direct at home get the ball up front earlier. I would play both Holt and Benteke and get crosses into the box provided by Albrighton Gabby and also Lowton and Bertrand. Delph and Sylla to be combative and solid in the middle of the park breaking up play and then distributing wide.

Lowton and Bertrand to bomb on whilst Gabby and Albrighton do have defensive qualities. Albrighton could be replaced by Bacuna but Albrighton delivers better balls into the Final Third

Away

Guzan

Lowton                             Vlaar                                     Clark/ Baker                    Bertrand

Delph                      Westwood

Bacuna or the new no 10

Weimann                                                                                      Gabby

Benteke

I think away from Home we stick to what is serving us well. Hopefully the new no 10 can come in and link up the play

What does everyone else think

Offline bobdylan

Re: Formation and Stick to It
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 01:45:08 PM »
Baker and Sylla would no be near the first 11 for me and I hink our lack of a no. 10 is more pronounced at home rather than away.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 01:47:41 PM »
The only drawback with this is that you can't stick to a formation for the rest of the season when people keep getting injured.

Offline hartman_1982

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 01:50:34 PM »
Sylla shouldn't be close to a starting XI and surely the magical number 10 in required more at home than away?

Offline dekko

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 01:54:15 PM »
I disagree with needing to be more direct at home, or getting the ball forward quicker.  In fact, I think part of the problem at home is that instead of attempting any kind of build-up play our first instinct is to lump it up to the strikers regardless of how many defenders are on them or if they have any support from midfield.

Offline Tuco Salamanca

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 03:15:52 PM »
I really hope Holt is a last resort sub to compensate for PL's inability to tactically influence a game rather than a genuine option from the start.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 04:01:53 PM »
Sylla shouldn't be close to a starting XI and surely the magical number 10 in required more at home than away?

Exactly!  Isn't this the point of the no. 10?  When we're away we can continue to play counter attack.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 04:04:31 PM »
One thing is for sure Lambert will not stick to a formation. I think that is one of his strengths actually. He will mix things up.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 04:46:46 PM »
I really don't rate Wiemann I'm afraid. Effort and endeavour are admiral qualities, but when you've got poor technique and composure you're really no much better than a dog chasing a balloon.

Offline levico

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 05:07:39 PM »
I really hope Holt is a last resort sub to compensate for PL's inability to tactically influence a game rather than a genuine option from the start.

Absolutely - so much for the 'we've only signed him to cover for Kozak'. Surely we're not factoring him into our first team plans in this way?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 05:11:07 PM »
I really don't rate Wiemann I'm afraid. Effort and endeavour are admiral qualities, but when you've got poor technique and composure you're really no much better than a dog chasing a balloon.
And yet, no one was saying last season that Weimann lacked technique or composure. So, he either got very lucky last season or he is suffering a loss of form this.
Some of finishes last season were classy - Liverpool away and ManUre at home, as two examples.

I think he will come back, as a support striker. His good form last season coincided with Benteke's form ...

Offline class_of_82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 06:03:23 PM »
At home 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 away, also and I will possibly get slagged for this but I would turn Delph into a left back ,he is good in the tackle can get forward etc and I think we should build from the back. That would free up the centre midfield for sylla and bacuna I think that we need to be more fluent In midfield and those two need be to given a chance.
Also it will be a kick up the arse for those that think they are a shoe in for regular first team action. Honestly think lambert is going to stumble on a team that can compete (god I hope so)

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 06:27:40 PM »
This 4-4-2 at home mentality is part of the problem, not the solution. When we had brilliant midfielders under MON he stuck them in a 4-4-2 and we were always outnumbered and outmaneuvered in midfield - what is likely to happen with the standard we have now? You have to have some form of three in midfield, whether it's two holding and one number ten/second striker in a 4-2-3-1 thing or a 4-3-3 or even a 3-5-2, you have to compete for sheer numbers in midfield. 4-4-2 is a two-banks-of-four absorb-and-counter system, so play it away if anything.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what formation we play so long as we keep our dreadful longball tactics. 4-4-2 wouldn't help if we were trying to pass the ball, but given how direct we go you could have a midfield of 5 Zidanes and we still wouldn't play properly the way we're going. And the last thing which should ever, ever happen is Benteke AND Holt in a 4-4-2. If we inflict this on the league we might as well give up.

Offline class_of_82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 06:50:38 PM »
 Montbert
coach

GM : Jan, 2013

« Reply #12 on: Today at 06:27:40 PM »
This 4-4-2 at home mentality is part of the problem, not the solution. When we had brilliant midfielders under MON he stuck them in a 4-4-2 and we were always outnumbered and outmaneuvered in midfield - what is likely to happen with the standard we have now? You have to have some form of three in midfield, whether it's two holding and one number ten/second striker in a 4-2-3-1 thing or a 4-3-3 or even a 3-5-2, you have to compete for sheer numbers in midfield. 4-4-2 is a two-banks-of-four absorb-and-counter system, so play it away if anything.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter what formation we play so long as we keep our dreadful longball tactics. 4-4-2 wouldn't help if we were trying to pass the ball, but given how direct we go you could have a midfield of 5 Zidanes and we still wouldn't play properly the way we're going. And the last thing which should ever, ever happen is Benteke AND Holt in a 4-4-2. If we inflict this on the league we might as well give up.

I know it was not aimed at me but I think we need to be solid before we can progress and that means 4-4-2 at home ,playing weimann in a 3 man attack just don't work ,away yes cause he gets the room but at home the game passes him by. so until we get a quality 10 we have to be solid. But just want to see our players comfortable on the ball and be switched on more. Am I asking for to much

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 06:56:17 PM »
Wasn't aimed at you Perry Barr Pet, you're right, but let's see what you've said there. I think that we're anything but solid with the 4-4-2, and it's much less likely to make us comfortable on the ball. In fact, with the 4-4-2 we're either solid or uncomfortable on the ball, because either we sit back with the two lines of four and counterattack (like we attempt to do now) or we try to attack along the floor with 4-4-2 and get completely outnumbered in the midfield against practically everyone.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal