collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What A Good Article.  (Read 12470 times)

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
Re: What A Good Article.
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 06:18:57 PM »
Because it reads like the thoughts and analysis of someone who has actually watched us, which makes a change from most of the guff floating about.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 06:24:43 PM »
If watching us and stating the obvious makes for a good article then there's 30,000 waiting to be written.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 06:27:06 PM »
The difference is that most articles about Villa fan frustration invoke (or at least evoke) the F-word. The article falls apart because it's too vague and doesn't actually demonstrate attentiveness to the Stephen Ireland situation, but it's nice not to be told that we have to watch rubbish and not moan because of some previous reputation we have as fans.

Anyway, Stuart James of the Guardian has already done this article in much greater depth, with much greater knowledge and research and much clearer detail.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 06:41:55 PM »
In such circumstances, there is often a rush to condemn the angry or a reference to the short-termism of the mindset of many. Where Villa are concerned, however, such comments are utterly misplaced.

This is the club with the eighth highest average attendance in England but they are the lowest scorers at home in all four divisions.

Villa Park has witnessed a mere seven goals at the right end this season. Only three of them have come in the last three-and-a-half months. The bare facts are that Villa have only won seven of 29 home league games in Lambert’s reign.

And yet the tipping point may have come in the FA Cup. Lambert may not have realised it but Villa is a historic club with old-fashioned priorities.

The above part there marks a departure from usual vomit about our low standing at the time of McLeish's departure, 'the project' and similar nonsense.   It also doesn't try to hold paying spectators accountable in some way, which shouldn't be worthy of praise in normal circumstances.   But makes a refreshing change, as far as we're concerned.

Thankfully, weird (and slightly desperate) comparisons with Borussia Dortmund seem to occur less frequently now. Unlike us, Borussia Dortmund have something approximating a midfield and do actually try to use the ball. 

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 07:01:03 PM »
Can someone please tell me what's so good about it? We aren't as good as we'd like, home form  s crap and the fans aren't happy. It's a few hundred words of stating the obvious.

It's good if it supports your point of view.  Others will view it as an article put together by somebody that has more space than the usual Red Tops four paragraphs and has space to report the obvious.  It is hardly in depth analysis of the club's current position.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2014, 07:11:20 PM »
It was quite decent till he vaguely suggested we should've kept Stephen fucking Ireland.

Picking out a No10 who can't get picked for Stoke's first eleven is a poor argument really.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2014, 08:16:21 PM »
States the obvious, repeats the false accusation lambert didnt try to win the FA cup game, suggests Stephen Ireland could have been the answer to our troubles and ends with the astonishing conclusion that is we keep losing games Villa fans will get annoyed.

I dub the article, shit. Not good. Shit.

You are welcome  :)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2014, 08:27:53 PM »
It was quite decent till he vaguely suggested we should've kept Stephen fucking Ireland.

Picking out a No10 who can't get picked for Stoke's first eleven is a poor argument really.

They still want him permanently though.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2014, 08:38:15 PM »

They still want him permanently though.

Why they want him comes down to their manager but i've watched him a number of times while on loan and i have to say in all honesty he is still shit.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2014, 10:24:20 PM »
Some of it is stating the obvious, (but it needs saying as it may not be obvious to non-Villa fans) but the main thrust of the article,  that Lambert not taking the cup games seriously enough will alienate the fans,  seems just wrong.  Despite what he said Lambert sent out a strong enough team for the cup game.  For me that wasn't the issue.  The real issues are the lack of obvious coaching, the lack of PL level ability in the squad, and the piss poor tactics which saw us outplayed, not for the first time, by a team leagues below us.  That's a more serious and deep rooted problem than not taking a cup game seriously enough.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2014, 10:33:49 PM »
Some of it is stating the obvious, (but it needs saying as it may not be obvious to non-Villa fans) but the main thrust of the article,  that Lambert not taking the cup games seriously enough will alienate the fans,  seems just wrong.  Despite what he said Lambert sent out a strong enough team for the cup game.  For me that wasn't the issue.  The real issues are the lack of obvious coaching, the lack of PL level ability in the squad, and the piss poor tactics which saw us outplayed, not for the first time, by a team leagues below us.  That's a more serious and deep rooted problem than not taking a cup game seriously enough.

I think it's true, he probably did alienate a few people with that.

To be honest, though, I thought the whole thing was blown up out of all proportion, it really was. He hardly said anything of any real import, or anything we don't hear from several other managers on a regular basis.

Like you said, the real, actual problem with the FA Cup was the fact that we looked awful against a League One side and got convincingly beaten.

Offline supertom

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2014, 10:38:57 PM »
Possibly the point regarding Ireland is that Lambert has tried and failed already to fit a number 10 into his Villa sides. He tried with Ireland and it didn't work. He tried with N'Zogbia and while he produced his best form in a Villa shirt (well, one month of playing fairly average), in terms of shape and balance, again, it didn't work.
So even if we manage to tie up the Hoolahan deal come the 31st, there then comes the small matter of altering our system once again, and trying to find a balance that works.
I don't think a number 10 will be the miracle cure we're all hoping for, unless we happen to sign an extremely good player, and another 2-3 good players alongside him.

The one advantage of course with Hoolahan is that he's a former Lambert player, whereas Ireland and N'Zogbia were mercs he had inherited. Talent to burn but not the application, fitness or mentality required.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 11:11:22 PM »
I know more than him. Firstly the match is MNF !! he should know his facts! so doesnt even knnow when the villa are playing!
You are obviously taking the piss? The article is written for Monday's newspaper. Reporters always write the day before but you read it the next day when you buy the paper.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2014, 11:12:27 PM »
If watching us and stating the obvious makes for a good article then there's 30,000 waiting to be written.
This.

Online Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2014, 11:16:55 PM »
I know more than him. Firstly the match is MNF !! he should know his facts! so doesnt even knnow when the villa are playing!
You are obviously taking the piss? The article is written for Monday's newspaper. Reporters always write the day before but you read it the next day when you buy the paper.
We don't usually get to read journalists' comments before the day, though, to be fair. I read that article and my reaction was to check the BBC website, as I thought it had been changed and I'd missed it! I know, I know.  In my defence, Sunday, not awake.

For the record, agree with DW and ciggies.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 11:19:29 PM by Louzie0 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal