collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What A Good Article.  (Read 12457 times)

Offline kippaxvilla2

What A Good Article.
« on: January 12, 2014, 03:31:45 PM »
Richard Jolly

English football correspondent

Maybe the mutiny in the Midlands was a one-off event. Perhaps it is the start of a full-scale revolt. Tonight may tell whether Paul Lambert has lost the loyalty of Aston Villa’s long-suffering supporters.

Fans tore up tickets and threw them at their manager after last Saturday’s 2-1 defeat to Sheffield United in the FA Cup.

In such circumstances, there is often a rush to condemn the angry or a reference to the short-termism of the mindset of many. Where Villa are concerned, however, such comments are utterly misplaced.

This is the club with the eighth highest average attendance in England but they are the lowest scorers at home in all four divisions.

Villa Park has witnessed a mere seven goals at the right end this season. Only three of them have come in the last three-and-a-half months. The bare facts are that Villa have only won seven of 29 home league games in Lambert’s reign.

And yet the tipping point may have come in the FA Cup. Lambert may not have realised it but Villa is a historic club with old-fashioned priorities.

Despite the primacy of the Premier League, the knockout competitions matter to supporters. Martin O’Neill’s relationship with the fans was never the same after his 2009 decision to jettison the Uefa Cup by taking a severely weakened team to CSKA Moscow.

Gerard Houllier, fearful of relegation two years later, took a similar approach in an FA Cup fifth-round tie at Manchester City. Villa stayed up, but Houllier’s popularity ratings plummeted.

Lambert’s suggestion the FA Cup was a competition top-flight managers could do without “if they were being honest” seemed borne out by Villa’s subsequent elimination to League One strugglers Sheffield United. It mattered not that he made fewer changes than most of his Premier League counterparts; the performance had its own unfortunate eloquence.

“We got knocked out,” he admitted. “There’s no getting away from that.”

Patience has been afforded – fans recognised how wretched Villa were under Alex McLeish and recognised that a revival could take time – but now there are legitimate questions where the transition Lambert invariably talks about will take them.

The high point of the campaign occurred against today’s visitors, Arsenal, a 3-1 opening-day demolition that brought a display of dissent towards Arsene Wenger.

It suggested a young side on the verge of a breakthrough. Instead, they have regressed. Villa were embroiled in a relegation struggle last season and, while they spent much of November and December in the upper half of the division, could face another this year.

It is a probability if their home form does not improve and, reluctant as Lambert is to accept it, it is no coincidence that a counter-attacking team struggles when there is an onus on them to seize the initiative.

It may suit them to face Arsenal. “You’ve got to play without the ball a lot of the time,” said Lambert. Villa do that anyway.

They had a mere 27 per cent of possession in the last home league game, against Swansea City, a lamentable low that illustrates their inability to keep the ball.

After the defeat to Sheffield United, Lambert talked about trying to sign a No 10 – his former Norwich City charge Wes Hoolahan appears the preferred target – without mentioning the one he discarded, in Stephen Ireland.

His preference for buying comparatively unknown players means other bigger names have been discarded. Yet Antonio Luna, Aleksandar Tonev, Joe Bennett, Jordan Bowery, Nicklas Helenius and Yacouba Sylla are all his signings; few, if any, look good enough for the Premier League yet.

Christian Benteke was his great transfer-market triumph but he has gone 12 games without a goal. Andreas Weimann, the other accomplished finisher in his squad, has not scored in his last 14.

They had camouflaged the lack of creativity in the rest of the team. Now their droughts are a symptom of it. Unless either ends his wait, the chances are the unrest will fester.

The Villa public have been short-changed. One way or another, there is likely to be payback.

Offline levico

Re: What A Good Article.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 03:36:24 PM »
Knows his stuff this guy.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 03:36:37 PM »
Fcukin right there's going to be payback unless things improve.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 03:45:13 PM »
Seens pretty much on the money that article.

Offline mozza

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 03:52:29 PM »
Depressing stuff but all true

Offline villa kicks

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 04:08:31 PM »
I know more than him. Firstly the match is MNF !! he should know his facts! so doesnt even knnow when the villa are playing!
we already all know this some people are easily impressed . i m an individual and no upstart i can  state with confidence  the tactics need to be addressed !!

Richard Jolly

Maybe the mutiny in the Midlands was a one-off event. Perhaps it is the start of a full-scale revolt. Tonight may tell whether Paul Lambert has lost the loyalty of Aston Villa’s long-suffering supporters.

The high point of the campaign occurred against today’s visitors, Arsenal, a 3-1 opening-day demolition that brought a display of dissent towards Arsene Wenger.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 04:14:23 PM by villa kicks »

Offline The Adventurer

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 04:10:52 PM »
That guy has hit the nail firmly on the head. The honeymoon period is well & truly over!

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 04:22:05 PM »
The only part I'd disagree with is the insinuation we should have kept Ireland, we all know he's worth less on the pitch than off it.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 04:30:45 PM »
I know more than him. Firstly the match is MNF !! he should know his facts! so doesnt even knnow when the villa are playing!
we already all know this some people are easily impressed . i m an individual and no upstart i can  state with confidence  the tactics need to be addressed !!

Richard Jolly

Richard Jolly

Richard Jolly

Richard Jolly

The publication is based in the United Arab Emirates as they are 4 hours ahead of the UK I'm guessing it is meant for tomorrow's editions.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 04:32:52 PM »
Not sure what went wrong with the quotathon.

Offline tom jennings III

• GM : 30.04.2015
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 04:34:50 PM »
I love a good quadruple quotation. Have to agree with the article, wish I didn't but I don't see brighter days around the corner any time soon unfortunately.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 05:01:10 PM »
Good piece. This line made me chuckle:

“You’ve got to play without the ball a lot of the time,” said Lambert. Villa do that anyway.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 06:12:51 PM »

Richard Jolly

True.  But in defence of that writer, he doesn't sail the good ship LSD as often as you do VK.

Most accurate article I've seen written about us for years.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 06:14:55 PM »
Can someone please tell me what's so good about it? We aren't as good as we'd like, home form  s crap and the fans aren't happy. It's a few hundred words of stating the obvious.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 06:18:02 PM »
It was quite decent till he vaguely suggested we should've kept Stephen fucking Ireland.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal