collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 09:42:19 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by LeeB
[Today at 09:38:02 AM]

FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mistakes and missed opportunities  (Read 25451 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: Mistakes and missed opportunities
« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2014, 08:26:29 AM »
I'm sure I read in a book( could have been one of yours Dave) that we played Arsenal in a cup game and who ever lost there manager was going and both teams were going after the same manager. We won and Arsenal brought George Graham in, we stuck with Turner :(

It wasn't as clear-cut as that but it was the League Cup quarter final replay 1986. We won at Highbury and afterwards Turner was asked if he would have been sacked had we lost; his denial was about the least convincing you could imagine. Don Howe left Arsenal a few weeks later and it doesn't take much to imagine us sacking Turner if we'd lost and going for Graham.   

Wasn't it Barry Davies?
"If you had lost the game would you have lost your job"?
"No".
"Are you sure"?
"No".

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2014, 08:28:52 AM »
Typical Villa as well, beat Arsenal away and then get knocked out - over two legs!!- by Oxford United of all people in the next round!!

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2014, 10:00:18 AM »
With QPR in the final.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #138 on: January 16, 2014, 10:05:01 AM »
With QPR in the final.

Yes, I'd forgotten about that, just makes it even worse!

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #139 on: January 16, 2014, 10:15:44 AM »
With QPR in the final.

Yes, I'd forgotten about that, just makes it even worse!

Yep - never convinced we would have beaten Liverpool in 1984 (had we got past Everton) as they were very strong but I have little doubt we would have turned over Rangers who were awful that day.

Offline Fred

« Reply #140 on: January 16, 2014, 01:25:03 PM »
Signing Cascariono instead of Sheringham.
Not paying the extra 250k Wolves wanted for us to buy Robbie Keane then selling Oakes to Wolves a month later for 250k.
Buying utter tossers like Steve Hodge and (I didn't know where Bham was)Unsworth.
The desperate Odreary days !!!!

I am sure when i read JG's book he said he did not want Keane.

Plenty of missed chances and mistakes but still    Love the Villa !!!

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2014, 07:37:48 AM »
Typical Villa as well, beat Arsenal away and then get knocked out - over two legs!!- by Oxford United of all people in the next round!!
That away leg was one of the crappest games I have ever been to, not helped by the plebs we took that day.

Offline FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #142 on: January 17, 2014, 07:57:02 AM »
I'm sure I read in a book( could have been one of yours Dave) that we played Arsenal in a cup game and who ever lost there manager was going and both teams were going after the same manager. We won and Arsenal brought George Graham in, we stuck with Turner :(

It wasn't as clear-cut as that but it was the League Cup quarter final replay 1986. We won at Highbury and afterwards Turner was asked if he would have been sacked had we lost; his denial was about the least convincing you could imagine. Don Howe left Arsenal a few weeks later and it doesn't take much to imagine us sacking Turner if we'd lost and going for Graham.   

Didn't Turner say he was 5 minutes from the sack in an ill tempered FA Cup tie v Pompey. Was that earlier that season? Stainrod wound them up and one of them kicked him. Birch or Kerr got a late equaliser.

Same season. It pissed down and we got a late equaliser.

Didn't go to that game,but remember watching  atv or bbc the night after.If I remember correctly Turner had a big black leather SS trench coat on and the rain on his face could have almost been tears.

Offline FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #143 on: January 17, 2014, 07:57:52 AM »
That away leg was one of the crappest games I have ever been to, not helped by the plebs we took that day.

The fans or the team ?

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #144 on: January 17, 2014, 03:12:49 PM »

The fans or the team ?
Or the police officers?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal