collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2019/20 by Vill I An
[Today at 02:52:43 AM]

Re: International Football by cdbullyweefan
[Today at 12:05:37 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2019/20 by cdbullyweefan
[November 14, 2019, 11:54:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2019/20 by Risso
[November 14, 2019, 11:51:10 PM]

[November 14, 2019, 11:44:58 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2019/20 by Risso
[November 14, 2019, 11:41:26 PM]

[November 14, 2019, 11:27:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2019/20 by Toronto Villa
[November 14, 2019, 11:11:15 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The All-New Patronise The Plucky Little Neighbours Thread.  (Read 310308 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: The All-New Patronise The Plucky Little Neighbours Thread.
« Reply #2700 on: October 22, 2019, 09:18:06 PM »
I note the BBC mentioned Albion applauded for their fan who died in Bulgaria last week and rightly so. I feel desperately sorry for his family. Had they been playing Villa I feel certain we would have joined in.

That said it requires reminding that when the whole country joined in with the supporting of our 19th minute applause for Petrov that season, only one club didnít and many booíd.

The Manure fans didn't respect the 19th minute for Petrov. I was a season ticket holder in the lower North stand at that time and close to the away fans.

A few clubs didn't join in but only one booed.

Offline cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 17.01.2020
« Reply #2701 on: October 22, 2019, 10:47:12 PM »
I think a lot of the clubs that didn't join in didn't know about it. Albion were the only club I can think of that definitely knew about it and went out of their way to take the piss. I seem to recall them shouting and gesticulating all the way through it in the stand next to our end at The Hawthorns, while one of their own fans was having a heart attack during said minute and being carried out. I hope he was okay, their other fans seemed more interested in Villa than they were in him.

Offline KRS

« Reply #2702 on: October 22, 2019, 10:57:11 PM »
Havenít been following the Championship at all but noticed the Stripy Filth are top of the league at the moment. After 13 games there are just 6pts separating the top 9 teams so itís all very close at the top still (3 of those teams have a game in hand and play tomorrow). Itís a long season so plenty of time for them to slip down the league.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #2703 on: October 22, 2019, 10:57:32 PM »
While at the same time calling us hypocrites because he'd been getting a bit of stick previously, because saying a player hasn't played well obviously means you want him to die.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #2704 on: October 23, 2019, 05:02:37 PM »
I tipped Albion to win the league at the start of the season and they have plenty of goals in the side. But they need to tighten up at the back.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #2705 on: October 25, 2019, 11:15:07 PM »
Yes, disrespecting Stan is okay, but woe betide you if you don't join in at the right time for Justice For Jeff.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2706 on: October 28, 2019, 04:34:06 PM »
I think a lot of the clubs that didn't join in didn't know about it. Albion were the only club I can think of that definitely knew about it and went out of their way to take the piss. I seem to recall them shouting and gesticulating all the way through it in the stand next to our end at The Hawthorns, while one of their own fans was having a heart attack during said minute and being carried out. I hope he was okay, their other fans seemed more interested in Villa than they were in him.

In fairness, they're own greatest fan was happy to take the piss out of their own legend as the grip of his illness was taking hold. So they're at least consistantly a bunch of wankers.

Offline cdbullyweefan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 17.01.2020
« Reply #2707 on: October 28, 2019, 06:41:11 PM »
I've seen that point raised on here before but I don't think that's a fair assessment, to be honest. I think Skinner idolised him and wanted him on the show in any capacity, not in a piss-taking one. I don't think it was widely known that he was suffering from dementia, Astle may not have even known himself. I've never heard any member of the Astle family criticise Skinner and they made him godfather to JA's granddaughter. That certainly suggests they have no animosity. I'd imagine members of his family loved seeing him on the telly. So, while I'm usually happy to join in with any baiting of the local obsessives, I disagree on this occasion.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 07:03:35 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline Damo70

« Reply #2708 on: October 28, 2019, 06:52:05 PM »
I would agree that Skinner had no idea of Jeff Astle's condition and just wanted to work with his idol. And to be fair Astle probably earned a welcome few quid out of it. I actually played indoor cricket with Frank Skinner once at the Bickenhill indoor cricket place as he was a a friend of one of my team mates. I think they worked together at the same college. I was just introduced to him as 'Chris' which is his real name. A couple of years later I recognised him when he popped up on TV in 'Packet Of Three'.

Offline Ads

• GM : 26.03.2020
« Reply #2709 on: October 28, 2019, 07:14:21 PM »
Halesowen college wasn't it?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #2710 on: October 28, 2019, 07:35:00 PM »

My indoor cricket team mate was my manageress at works partner Tim and to the best of my recollection I think Tim and Chris/Frank worked together at a college in Selly Oak. But I am going back the best part of thirty years.

Offline nigel

« Reply #2711 on: October 29, 2019, 08:02:17 AM »

My indoor cricket team mate was my manageress at works partner Tim and to the best of my recollection I think Tim and Chris/Frank worked together at a college in Selly Oak. But I am going back the best part of thirty years.

Possibly the old Bournville College, I think that was classed as Selly Oak, albeit BVT. Saying that, there are a lot of small colleges scattered in that area. I donít suppose it really matters, though

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #2712 on: October 29, 2019, 04:44:25 PM »
I would agree that Skinner had no idea of Jeff Astle's condition and just wanted to work with his idol. And to be fair Astle probably earned a welcome few quid out of it. I actually played indoor cricket with Frank Skinner once at the Bickenhill indoor cricket place as he was a a friend of one of my team mates. I think they worked together at the same college. I was just introduced to him as 'Chris' which is his real name. A couple of years later I recognised him when he popped up on TV in 'Packet Of Three'.

Even then it seemed that Astle was being laughed at, rather than with. They could have had him doing something vaguely serious and pundity instead of getting him dressed up and made to look an idiot.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #2713 on: October 29, 2019, 06:11:03 PM »

A mate of mine was taught English by Skinner - or whatever his name is - at Halesowen college