collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Based on what youve seen in the Summer who would you keep who would showthe door  (Read 23459 times)

Offline nigel

Have to say that Baker seems to have taken a backward step this season.
I still think he will prove to be an excellent centre back

Offline edgysatsuma89

Incredibly kind on Baker and KEA there.

Offline hartman_1982

Have to say that Baker seems to have taken a backward step this season.
I still think he will prove to be an excellent centre back

Disagree completely. At no point has he shown any sign of being able to read the game, far too James Collinsesque in his last ditch tackling and his positioning is poor. You can't fault his heart and commitment and I expect him to be a solid lower league player but he doesn't have the extra quality required at the top.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
I wouldn't bother keeping Baker, KEA, Bennett, Bowery or Herd of those around the first team squad at the moment.

Offline supertom

I'd get rid of them all and then buy Sheffied Utd's entire squad. ;)

Offline peter w

I agree with paul e's comments regarding Luna. One on one he's generally been okay, but he's not been helped at all by Weimann (usually) who tends to leave Luna very exposed. look at Vlaar this season as compared to last season - a totally different player who looks every much the 1st choice international he has become.

I think Clark is close to being player of the season and I've been highly critical of him so I'd keep him. Baker is a favourite of mine but is a liability with the ball, so he can go.

KEA is not good enough and produces little so he can go. As can Herd. Versatile but not good enough.

Bowery really hasn't developed so unless he's going to be loaned out to help him develop - he's still young - then sell him.

Make a decision how to use Bacuna also. Because he and Lowton do not seem to compliment each other. Lowton has been below par this season but I think he's a better player. bacuna, a couple of free-kicks apart really hasn't shown that much to suggest he should be ahead of Lowton.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Bowery doesn't offer much for me, he could go.

Baker is a liability and never a top flight player for me.

KEA, he has popped up with a few goals and assists, more so than Westwood, but I feel he contributes little.

Weiman, based on his form thus far, has been absolutely abysmal.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
To add, I wouldn't get rid of Andi, but he needs to sort himself out.

Looking at the other three though and the way they are used (Bowery being a wide attacking option), you cannot help but see the issue as clear as day when you consider the three we have been linked with; Lescott, Defour and Hoolahoop.

There just isn't anywhere near enough quality in the squad beyond the likes of Gabby, Benteke, Vlaar and Delph. Having those three players, or players of their ilk, to choose from would give this mid-table outfit the boost we need to kick on.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
I agree with paul e's comments regarding Luna. One on one he's generally been okay, but he's not been helped at all by Weimann (usually) who tends to leave Luna very exposed.

Weimann normally operates on the right side, so as poor as he's been I don't think we can really lay that one at his door.

Over exposed FBs was a key feature in our poor run last season, which was eventually solved when we signed Sylla and he and Delph operated wide of Westwood in a three, giving them a decent starting position to get across and help out the FBs.  Playing Westwood and KEA together has negated that, as it pushes the thrid midfielder, usually Delph, further forward and the two of them are narrower, leaving a larger gap to the space where they can cover and neither is the most mobile either.

For most teams who play 4-3-3 the wide attackers offer the cover as they're more natural widemen who would be equally comfortable as traditional wingers in a 4-4-2.  We use converted central strikers, which even when putting a shift in, hurts us defensively. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:30:32 PM by Concrete John »

Offline HolteEnder96

• Keep The Claret and Blue Flag Flying High
El Ahmadi - One of the worst players I have ever seen, does very little besides jog around and lose the ball
Tonev - Must go, cannot shoot, cannot cross, just no end prooduct
Bacuna - Wretched at defending, other than 3-4 free kicks a season I cannot see him bringing much more
may sound harsh, but will any of these players progress us? in my eyes no chance

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Bacuna's no RB, but overall I think he's done Ok and wouldn't be looking to sell him on.  In fact, I'd like to see him play more often in the midfield.

Offline dekko

Keep the keepers

Luna - Not impressed, dont think he'll ever be good enough BUT I always think that foreign signings need to be given at least a full season to adjust to the league. Keep for now.
Bennett - Terrible for most of last season, but there was enough there during the run in to make me think he'll be ok.  Keep (but get a better LB to be first choice).

Clark - Keep
Vlaar - Definently keep
Okore - See above
Baker - I like his commitment, i like his bravery, but I dont think hes good enough for the prem.  Regretfully get rid.

Lowton - Keep, but needs a kick up the arse
Bacuna - Keep, I really like this guy, just dont use him as a right back!
Herd- Useful utility player, but not long term.  Sell him if we get a bid, let his contract run down if we don't.

KEA - Not nearly as bad as his reputation suggests, but still not that good.  Get rid
Westwood - See Lowton
Delph - Keep
Sylla - Dunno
Gardner - Give him another (short term) contract to see if he can prove himself.  If we let him go you just know he'll do a Cahill.
Albrighton - Not convinced he'll ever be brilliant, but he's got something nobody else in our squad has, so for now keep
Tonev - See Luna

Helenius - Keep
Bowery - Get rid
Weimann - See Lowton/Westwood (although im losing patience with the lad)
Agbonlahor - Knighthood
Benteke - Keep
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:12:39 PM by dekko »

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
The only player I'd keep for certain is Guzan. The rest can man-up a bit or do one.

Edit: Sorry, I'd joyously keep Gabby too.

Offline BoskoDjembaSalifou

• BoskoDjembaSalifou
I'd keep Guzan, Vlaar, Okore, Delph and Benteke as part of the starting eleven. Lowton, Clark, Gardner, Helenius, Agbonlahor and Weimann as part of the squad. Not particularly bothered about the rest.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
i'm mostly with Dekko, I'm not quite ready to get rid of baker though, I think he can be a decent 4th choice for now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal