collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Based on what youve seen in the Summer who would you keep who would showthe door  (Read 23435 times)

Offline Loxton01

So weve seen a number of the players for a good period this season so who cuts the mustard and who has to go.

Goalkeepers

Keep both

Defenders

Luna - without doubt one of the worst defenders I have seen  - has to go
Bennett - one last chance once he gets fit - last legs

Lowton - Keep but needs a rocket
Herd - Utility player keep

Okore - Showed Glimpses keep
Vlaar - Keep
Baker - Keep

Clark - not good enough for me and hasnt progressed - Go

Midfielders

El Ahmadi - Keep just some good games some bad - last chance saloon
Westwood - See lowton comment

Sylla - tries but isnt good enough at this level - Go

Gardner - deserves a chance - go out on loan - Keep

Delph - Keep

Albrighton - Keep - we have nothing like him needs confidence

Tonev - Oh dear oh dear - what do you do with him - not good enough - Go

Bacuna - Can progress  - Keep

Forwards

Benteke - Keep
Gabby - Keep
Kozak - Keep

Helenius - Loan out needs game time

Bowery - Must go - not good enough

Weimann - Kick up the arse required

What a real poor quality squad we really have. We need 4-5 of them out and then reinvest in experience and quality
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 10:32:47 AM by Loxton01 »

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
The only one i'd let go at this moment in time is Bowery.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
Hard to argue with most of that, although I'd swap the Clark and Baker ones around.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
Luna, El Ahmadi and Bowery.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
Hard to argue with most of that, although I'd swap the Clark and Baker ones around.

Agreed and I think that would be the case.  Lambert has a high opinion of Clark I think.

Online ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
Keep

Guzan - solid keeper

Okore - looks a quality player
Vlaar - makes a huge difference to the team when available
Clark - squad player, improving
Bennett - squad player, has potential and still young enough to improve
Lowton - keep, but buy another decent right back to compete.

Westwood - squad player, tidy player but needs better players around him
Delph - improving all the time
NZogbia - quality player

Benteke - hopefully not a one season wonder
Gabby - part of the furniture
Bent - need to reintegrate him
Bakuna - squad player

loan out

Helenius, Gardner, Grealish, Donacian

Dump

Baker, Luna, Hutton, KEA, Weimann, Steer
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 06:01:11 PM by ASHTONVILLA »

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
I think Luna needs to be given into next season. He's had a couple of niggly injuries here and there but I don't think he's a bad as people make out. He's just taking time to find his feet.

Offline eastie

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
I wonder how many Tony Moon t shirts the club shop has shifted recently?

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
All seems sane except for your assessments of Baker and Clark, and I can only assume you've got them mixed up. 'Doing a Baker' is giving the ball away with a square ball in your own half at least once a match. He's really terrible, and Clark has spent his season trying to mop up Baker's mistakes.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019

The bloke has evidently been identified as the weak link by every team we have played lately (when he's been fit) as he has had the run around nearly every match by the opposition's right side attacker. Needs to step up if he's not to be shipped out but I think we need to give him a little longer - as someone said earlier he has had one or two niggly injuries which can't have helped.

Online nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
All seems sane except for your assessments of Baker and Clark, and I can only assume you've got them mixed up. 'Doing a Baker' is giving the ball away with a square ball in your own half at least once a match. He's really terrible, and Clark has spent his season trying to mop up Baker's mistakes.

Yes, agreed. Baker is an old fashioned stopper in the Brendan Ormsby mould but has zero ability on the ball and his tackling is still as reckless as it was when he first came into the side.

Luna is just the worst left back I've ever seen in the shirt. Embarrassingly weak and targeted by every team we play.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
A bit harsh on Clark there, OP. 

Think he's been better this season.  Baker has had a rough patch, and prob shouldn't have featured in so many games this season and last. 

But I maintain he'll be better for it longterm.

I'd go with Luna, KEA, Bennett, Bowery, Bent, N'Zog and Herd.

Might be tough on Herd, that.   I actually liked the look of him as a reserve fullback, but when he comes in at centre half (and that's where Lambert seems to favour him) we invariably turn to shite. It's not just down to him by any means, but it's happened too often to be a coincidence now. 

I'd be tempted to move Weimann on too, if we received a suitable offer.  He still has a future at this level, but -like Bannan- he might benefit from a change of scenery.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013

The bloke has evidently been identified as the weak link by every team we have played lately (when he's been fit) as he has had the run around nearly every match by the opposition's right side attacker. Needs to step up if he's not to be shipped out but I think we need to give him a little longer - as someone said earlier he has had one or two niggly injuries which can't have helped.

He's also had a fullback running into his area without a lot of assistance, he's been left 2 on 1 a lot this season.  I don't think he's as bad as has been made out and I think if we weren't giving away 60% possession every game he'd look better as well.

I'd let Bowery go, I don't think he'll ever be good enough, I'd let KEA go because at his age he needs to be contributing regularly and giving us some stability in there.  Hutton, Given, Bent and Nzogbia are all available if we can get rid of them as well.  I'd be tempted to let Herd go as well.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Priority to go

Luna, Bennett, Hutton, Given, Bent, Kea, Bowery, Baker, Delfouneso

Time running out on

Albrighton, Gardner, Tonev, Nzogbia, Herd

Need serious improvement before end of season

Lowton, Weimann, Westwood, Sylla

despite albrighton's recent improvement, he is at an age where he needs regular football and I cant see him getting it at a decent Villa side. Herd and Gardner need to get out of the club to progress. we should be fair to all three and let them leave for low fees.

the addition of quality players to the squad might lift a few of them out of their stupor but really that squad isnt anywhere near what a club like Villa should have available

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal