collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Myth of our youth policy  (Read 22364 times)

Offline richardhubbard

The Myth of our youth policy
« on: December 31, 2013, 05:01:38 PM »
I had great hopes of over 5-10 years of our youth policy but not many really have stood out after length of time.

Looking back

Ridgewell done ok with his career
Davis same for him
Whittingham is a good championship player
Moore brothers disappeared
Myhill done ok as a keeper
Baker looks average
Bannan has slipped away
Albrighton and Gardner never shown full promise
Hogg knocking around in the championship

Only 3 that made a real impression is Cahill and we know what happened there, Gabby how could have done more and Clark who appears to have kicked on this season.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: The Myth of our youth policy
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 05:07:08 PM »
I wonder how many other clubs have more products of their academy playing in the top two divisions than we do?

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 05:09:27 PM »
Southampton are probably the best for producing a very good standard of quality youth players.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 05:10:16 PM »
We've currently got Clark, Baker, Gabby and Weimann holding down a place in a premier league side. Are there many other premiership teams with four (5 if you include Herd) in their match day 17?

Offline richardhubbard

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 05:12:14 PM »
I meant high quality players Clampy. Agree we have volume but high quality.

Gabby and Clark I agree

Baker and Weinmann looks like championship players this season

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 05:12:35 PM »
I put it on here before but, when we played at Chelsea in the Youth Cup Final, there was an article in the Telegraph saying that this was the biggest game that most of that Chelsea team would ever play in. There was very little chance that many of them would ever get to play for the first team. A new one of ours may get a chance soon. Have to wait and see.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 05:13:36 PM »
It's not producing players that's the problem, it's recognising which of them is worth the hype.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 05:14:15 PM »
Ah ha, the hardy old perennial comes out for the new year! It's probably a huge generalisation, but I've always thought we've produced a lot of decent youth players who've gone on to be of a reasonable standard with a number of different clubs, including of course ourselves, but all too rarely have we produced the real gem who goes on to be a top player.it does seem, though perhaps it's only perception, that teams like West Ham and Southampton do the latter much more successfully than we do?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 05:20:20 PM by richard moore »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 05:14:26 PM »
We've currently got Clark, Baker, Gabby and Weimann holding down a place in a premier league side. Are there many other premiership teams with four (5 if you include Herd) in their match day 17?

6 if you include Albrighton.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 05:14:51 PM »

Gabby and Clark I agree

Yes but they still came through our youth set up and that's something to be positive about. Let's not knock something this club is very good at for the sake of it.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 05:17:53 PM »

Gabby and Clark I agree

Yes but they still came through our youth set up and that's something to be positive about. Let's not knock something this club is very good at for the sake of it.

Well said. With the central defence so weak, we may have to tap our resources tomorrow.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 05:44:41 PM »
I think its something to be proud of. To produce the four or five who are in our team, plus Cahill,Ridgewell,Davis who are all well established Premier League players is something that not many teams an boast.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 05:44:43 PM »
I'll still contend that our kids get brought through too quickly. When you have a solid first team squad then breaking into that echelon should be reserved for the best of the reserves or academy. Too often our kids come through, shine briefly before fading all too quickly. We have had far too much success at youth and reserve level not to have created some really too star players and with the exception of a select few we haven't. Not to say it hasn't been a success as many players have gone on to have good careers, but we haven't created that real gem that everyone wants.

Offline black pearl of inchicore

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 05:47:34 PM »

6 if you include Albrighton.

FFS what football are you watching.....Gabby is about the only one who would get a look in at other EPL clubs. The rest are pile of championship players at best. When we had a few decent looking prospects a few years ago i.e.   Ridgewell, Davis, Cahill    Villa couldn't wait to sell them. How long does it take to make this current lot.." footballers"...i'm looking at them for the last 3 years and the future ain't Too Bright.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 05:47:40 PM »
You're right TV, the cut backs of the past few seasons has meant too many have played when out of form or fatigued, the turn of the year last season was an example of that. And lacking quality experienced players, like Petrov has harmed some of them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal