collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lambert's Vision for Villa  (Read 40051 times)

Offline eastie

Re: Lambert's Vision for Villa
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2013, 12:27:16 PM »
I can remember there was a similar article on here when McLeish was in charge where he was talking about building for the future,we were all given the impession Lerner was right behind him.He was sacked a week or so later.

Yes, he said it was a total shock as he'd spoken with randy every week and how supportive he was and never had an inkling the sack was coming  until the very day  it came.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2013, 12:28:09 PM »
But I'm not comparing to Christmas last year, we had another 5 months as a team after that point. In that 5 months after Christmas we were much better with the ball than we are now. We might turn it around again, but I'd suggest another pretty desperate December is not a sign of progression.

Offline eastie

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2013, 12:28:49 PM »
I can remember there was a similar article on here when McLeish was in charge where he was talking about building for the future,we were all given the impession Lerner was right behind him.He was sacked a week or so later.

I think the fans played a huge part in that. We made it clear we didn't want him, which left Lerner with no choice.

I think that was the case before he came too  but mr lerner still appointed him .

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2013, 12:31:09 PM »
This is football post 1992 and nobody is interested in a future beyond the next yellow ticker bar.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2013, 12:31:50 PM »
I think he's right to reiterate "the plan", "the project", "the vision" mantra. I would like him however to also state that he recognises that the plan isn't working as planned and what he will be doing to tweak the plan to realise the vision.

Offline eastie

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2013, 12:32:12 PM »
All this 'vision for the future' would be fine if we looked like we were progressing. I could believe at the end of last season, but at the moment we're going backwards.

This time last year we conceded 15 goals without reply in three matches.  So far this season we've conceded 25 in total, only 3 more than Man Utd.

Yes, we've got some problems to sort, but to suggest that we're going backwards when one of the major problems of last year has been largely resolved is overly negative.

If you think our performances have moved forward from the end of last season, then I'd say you're being overly positive.

Comparing our performances over Christmas this year to our performances over Christmas last year I'd say we're a million miles ahead.  I'm absolutely convinced the team at the moment, even in their current run of poor form, wouldn't ship 8 (eight) goals at Chelsea, nor would they get turned over at home by Wigan.

Is the team performing as well as it did towards the end of last season?  No, of course not, but given it's largely the same group of players, what's to say they won't turn things around again this season like they did last?

So it's ok for you to compare the team with a year ago but it's not ok for pwa to compare the team with 7 months ago?

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2013, 12:34:42 PM »

Yes, he said it was a total shock as he'd spoken with randy every week and how supportive he was and never had an inkling the sack was coming  until the very day  it came.

I don't believe that though, he must have had an inking his days were numbered. Everyone who was at Norwich away knew he was gone, so if he didn't then he was very naïve.

Offline achilles

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2013, 12:36:50 PM »
Well currently he has another 18 months to complete this project of his, so half-way through his project it certainly doesn't look like its going to plan?

Offline eastie

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2013, 12:37:32 PM »

I don't believe that though, he must have had an inking his days were numbered. Everyone who was at Norwich away knew he was gone, so if he didn't then he was very naïve.

Possibly but wasn't that only a day earlier?  All the noises from randy and faulkner before his sacking were supportive - i personally think his job is safe but people tell me randy was quite ruthless at times with the browns coaches .

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2013, 12:44:56 PM »
All this 'vision for the future' would be fine if we looked like we were progressing. I could believe at the end of last season, but at the moment we're going backwards.

This time last year we conceded 15 goals without reply in three matches.  So far this season we've conceded 25 in total, only 3 more than Man Utd.

Yes, we've got some problems to sort, but to suggest that we're going backwards when one of the major problems of last year has been largely resolved is overly negative.

If you think our performances have moved forward from the end of last season, then I'd say you're being overly positive.

Comparing our performances over Christmas this year to our performances over Christmas last year I'd say we're a million miles ahead.  I'm absolutely convinced the team at the moment, even in their current run of poor form, wouldn't ship 8 (eight) goals at Chelsea, nor would they get turned over at home by Wigan.

Is the team performing as well as it did towards the end of last season?  No, of course not, but given it's largely the same group of players, what's to say they won't turn things around again this season like they did last?

So it's ok for you to compare the team with a year ago but it's not ok for pwa to compare the team with 7 months ago?

I never said that.

I'm merely pointing out that the same group of players have shown they are capable of both good and bad runs of form and suggesting that because they're currently in a bad run of form means the club is 'going backwards' is nonsense.

Online nigel

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2013, 12:50:19 PM »

Certainly not supporting him, but, I've always thought that the fans got AMcL the sack.
If he'd had had the support of the fans, or at least a majority, he'd have been kept on.
The way he was treated from day one made his job untenable by the end of the season, Lerner had no choice.

Lambert is in a different boat altogether.
There are still many of us who are hanging on to the belief that the club are on the right road, albeit a very rocky one at the moment.
As optimistic as I am, though, I've slipped somewhat from the end of last season.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2013, 12:51:21 PM »

Possibly but wasn't that only a day earlier?  All the noises from randy and faulkner before his sacking were supportive - i personally think his job is safe but people tell me randy was quite ruthless at times with the browns coaches .

You could argue it was obvious after the Bolton home game as well. I called it when we played Wigan away and drew 0-0.

Who are these people telling you Randy is ruthless? You're not getting transatlantic phones calls again are you?

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2013, 12:54:24 PM »

Crystal Palace were one of the worst Premiership sides I've ever seen, and they beat us at home. Anyone who thinks we've improved since last season clearly didn't watch that game.

And the argument that "we wouldn't lose 8-0 to Chelsea this season" can be tempered by the assertion that we won't beat anyone 6-1 at home this season either.

The lack of improvement in the team is also mirrored by the players. Lowton, Westwood and Benteke area ll shadows of the players they were last season.

Offline eastie

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2013, 12:58:20 PM »
Vlaar, Clark and Delph have noticeably improved.
Lowton, benteke, Weimann, Westwood, sylla , have all failed to reproduce last seasons form.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2013, 12:59:21 PM »

I never said that.

I'm merely pointing out that the same group of players have shown they are capable of both good and bad runs of form and suggesting that because they're currently in a bad run of form means the club is 'going backwards' is nonsense.

That's the key bit for me.  Are we a decent side going through some poor form or are we a poor side who previously enjoyed some good form?  The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal