collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lambert's Vision for Villa  (Read 40052 times)

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: Lambert's Vision for Villa
« Reply #255 on: January 27, 2014, 10:58:41 AM »
Ha ha Doug Ellis giving up £20million of his limited fortune to buy a player, yeah right. He never did it whilst he was Chairman so I've no reason to think he'd do it when he became President Emeritus.

He became significantly more cash rich when he sold the club, so how would you know for sure?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #256 on: January 27, 2014, 11:15:38 AM »
Ha ha Doug Ellis giving up £20million of his limited fortune to buy a player, yeah right. He never did it whilst he was Chairman so I've no reason to think he'd do it when he became President Emeritus.

He became significantly more cash rich when he sold the club, so how would you know for sure?

Come on. He got about £25 million from his shares and handed back £20 million without telling anyone?

Offline peter w

« Reply #257 on: January 27, 2014, 11:24:15 AM »
He invented the package holiday industry, the bicycle kick, being a dad to kids around the world, played for many professional teams, and now he has invented altruism? Sure Doug, sure.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #258 on: January 27, 2014, 11:32:28 AM »

Come on. He got about £25 million from his shares and handed back £20 million without telling anyone?

What was the old gag about Doug?  Two things he'd never say:-
1.  We've just signed Ronaldo.
2.  We've just signed Ronaldo, but leave me out of the publicity photos.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #259 on: January 27, 2014, 11:39:04 AM »

Perhaps he sold the club for less than it was worth on the understanding Lerner would put would spend more money on team spending?

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #260 on: January 27, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »

Perhaps he sold the club for less than it was worth on the understanding Lerner would put would spend more money on team spending?

Perhaps. Or perhaps it was hardly on the cheap given that Lerner paid well over the share price at the time. It's been claimed that Doug Ellis, after having been paid around £25 million, handed back £20 million to the new owner. Without going into any further details, how likely is that in any business?

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #261 on: January 27, 2014, 11:44:37 AM »

Perhaps. Or perhaps it was hardly on the cheap given that Lerner paid well over the share price at the time. It's been claimed that Doug Ellis, after having been paid around £25 million, handed back £20 million to the new owner. Without going into any further details, how likely is that in any business?

Sounds like Doug is living in some kind of parallel universe then when you put it that way.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #262 on: January 27, 2014, 11:48:28 AM »

Sounds like Doug is living in some kind of parallel universe then when you put it that way.

Yes, I think that's more than likely.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #263 on: January 27, 2014, 11:52:22 AM »
He invented the package holiday industry, the bicycle kick, being a dad to kids around the world, played for many professional teams, and now he has invented altruism? Sure Doug, sure.

he also taught Charlie Chaplin how to fish.....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/doug-ellis-1607396

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #264 on: January 27, 2014, 12:03:22 PM »

Surely, legally as the chairman of the company, Ellis had an obligation to get the best deal possible for all the shareholders, which would have precluded giving Randy 20m off the actual worth of the club?

And, just so we're sure, this Doug Ellis we're discussing, the one we're supposed to believe gave up £20m of his own money / the value of the club (delete as applicable) so we could buy a player with it, is this the same Doug Ellis we spent years lambasting for being tight?

The one who wouldn't fork out for a club masseur? The one who wouldn't sign off the expenses for the chief scout to have a cup of coffee whilst waiting around airports?

Is this the same Doug Ellis?

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #265 on: January 27, 2014, 12:03:44 PM »
It may have been bullshit, but it was great to hear it from the horses mouth, so to speak. It was like being back at one of the old AGMs again. They were pure music hall stuff.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #266 on: January 27, 2014, 12:06:19 PM »
It may have been bullshit, but it was great to hear it from the horses mouth, so to speak. It was like being back at one of the old AGMs again. They were pure music hall stuff.

They were, oh they were. John Ritchie was my favourite.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #267 on: January 27, 2014, 12:29:26 PM »
What £20m loan is this?!

It wasn't a loan, as far as I know. Doug Ellis told me, personally, that he gave Lerner £20m.
To misquote the Liverpool Chairman "what do you think they are smoking over at Ellis Towers?"

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #268 on: January 27, 2014, 01:11:44 PM »
I always thought we bought Stan with the moeny we made out of selling the Serpantine?

How much interest in land do we still own? Is it just the site of Villa Park itself and the leasehold on New Street?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #269 on: January 27, 2014, 01:57:58 PM »
How much interest in land do we still own?

The city is ours.

sorry, couldn't resist.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal