collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 10 year Premier League table  (Read 14965 times)

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
Re: 10 year Premier League table
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2013, 06:09:58 PM »
So to sum up - if we take out all the good years, and take away all the teams who are worse than us, we're at the bottom.

If you took out the 3 or so good years we'd be bottom of the ever present table and not 2nd bottom.
Now matter how you try, Dave, you'll struggle to find a positive with this topic.

Yeah, if you take out all the years when we weren't rubbish the table would show us as being rubbish!

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2013, 06:10:43 PM »
Now matter how you try, Dave, you'll struggle to find a positive with this topic.

Is this more of your trademark 'balance'?

And your trademark to pull up anyone who dares criticise the club no matter how dreadful the performance.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2013, 06:12:20 PM »
So to sum up - if we take out all the good years, and take away all the teams who are worse than us, we're at the bottom.

If you took out the 3 or so good years we'd be bottom of the ever present table and not 2nd bottom.

Yeah, if you take out all the years when we weren't rubbish the table would show us as being rubbish!

Even with the few good seasons we're still second bottom of the ever presents, so whatever way we look at it this last decade or so has been poor.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2013, 06:12:24 PM »

And your trademark to pull up anyone who dares criticise the club no matter how dreadful the performance.

What on earth has this thread got to with any individual team performance?!

But you're right, how dare I support the club I support!

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2013, 06:14:59 PM »

What on earth has this thread got to with any individual team performance?!

But you're right, how dare I support the club I support!

Well in that case, how dare I criticise the club I support!
We're not all nodding dogs you know.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2013, 06:24:07 PM »

Even with the few good seasons we're still second bottom of the ever presents, so whatever way we look at it this last decade or so has been poor.

That's a truly meaningless stat, though, isn't it?

Look at it another way. At least we are an ever present.

I don't really see the need to extrapolate something depressing from this table, I really don't.

Don't we have enough depressing shit to moan about (ie this season) without looking for more?

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2013, 06:25:26 PM »
It's a stat which proves something we didn't need statistical proof to know: we've been pretty average for a while.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2013, 06:28:25 PM »
We've been in decline since the year 2000 in my opinion. If that's meaningless, fair enough, but the table that was posted sort of confirms it.
It wasn't me who started the thread by the way.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2013, 06:29:06 PM »
It's a stat which proves something we didn't need statistical proof to know: we've been pretty average for a while.

That's my point.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2013, 06:30:13 PM »

Yet still better than all but 7 other clubs in the land.  And that's exactly how it should be for the Villa - finishing 8th should be classed as distinctly average over the long term.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2013, 06:37:46 PM »

Yet still better than all but 7 other clubs in the land.  And that's exactly how it should be for the Villa - finishing 8th should be classed as distinctly average over the long term.

Well, we should definitely be a top flight club. The whole place is nothing but top level of the world of football. However, we've been pretty close to bare minimum possible in terms of performance needed to stay in the division. Uninspiring, but we haven't done a Leeds or Wednesday or anything that's happened to plenty of big clubs (not as big as us, but big).

Online walsall villain

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2013, 06:47:38 PM »
Never mind the last ten years, we are one of only 7 teams that have never been relegated from the premier league so we can't be that crap can we?
The list is.....
Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester United, and Tottenham Hotspur
So whether you think we are almost the worst of the 9 ever presents in 10 years or the worst of the above seven, my perspective is that it's quite a record even though none of us are happy with this years position or what's happened in last few seasons.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2013, 07:00:41 PM »
We've been in decline since the year 2000 in my opinion. If that's meaningless, fair enough, but the table that was posted sort of confirms it.

We may have been in decline since 2000 but we are still in the Premier League 13 years later. Not that great a decline then seeing as we were haven't finished in the top four since Taylor MKI.

There are many clubs who would take our decline over theirs.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2013, 07:48:24 PM »
Little managed a top 4 finish is 96 I think, but it was before the CL places went that far. Typical!! As for the way this thread has gone, pointless like the table itself.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2013, 07:59:56 PM »

We may have been in decline since 2000 but we are still in the Premier League 13 years later. Not that great a decline then seeing as we were haven't finished in the top four since Taylor MKI.

There are many clubs who would take our decline over theirs.

Yes we are still in the PL after all these years but Lerner and co are taking serious risks with our Premier League status. When was the last time we were this bad for so long? Mid 80s? Maybe even further back.
Atkinson and Little got us in the top 4 by the way.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:01:35 PM by saunders_heroes »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal