collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gabby's goal celebration.  (Read 3771 times)

Offline eastie

Gabby's goal celebration.
« on: December 30, 2013, 08:14:12 AM »
Quote from: the mirror

By John Cross | 29/12/13 

Gabby Agbonlahor has revealed how Aston Villa players held their own crisis meeting to stop getting dragged into another ­relegation dogfight.

The Villans acted because they were determined to avoid a fifth straight defeat and that was the reason behind the extravagant ­celebration when Agbonlahor scored in Saturday's draw with Swansea, with players running over to the bench to give a very public show of unity.

Villa captain Agbonlahor said: “We are a team. Through the good times and the bad and as long as we stay as a team, then we will be okay.

“That celebration was just to show the staff and the players we are all in it together. We know it’s going to be a fight. But we are up for it.

“There have been frustrating times and we have to keep fighting. We might not be showing the best quality at times but if we give 100 per cent and fight, then we will be fine.

“We wanted to stop losing. You can say we might be disappointed not to win the game, going a goal up but we have to take the positives out of it and take the point. It all goes on the table.

“At the moment, it’s a case of stopping the rot. Picking up points, hopefully in every game we play.

“We drilled it into the team that we must not lose. That was the main thing. We have drilled it into each other over the past two days. It shows good team spirit.

“It was nothing to do with the crowd. It was just us. The last few days was: ‘Response, response.’ That was our motto. It was to show we are a team. When things aren’t going good that we will fight.”

That motto was clearly drilled into the dressing room in the players’ get-togethers. You could see how much it meant to them after Agbonlahor scored – even if the crowd are not buying into any kind of feel-good factor.

Booing has been the soundtrack to Villa’s season. Last season was a relegation dogfight which, according to manager Paul Lambert, was the hardest year of his career.

You were supposed to see signs of improvement this season, especially after owner Randy Lerner spent £18m last summer. Lambert spoke post-match as if this season was a world away from last. But there has not been enough progress for some fans.

At the halfway point, Villa have 20 points and are in 13th place, four points above the relegation zone.

Last season after 19 games they had 18, were 16th and three points above the bottom three.

Progress?

No wonder some fans are getting fed-up.

Especially when Villa did not seem to have much of a game plan, they were pretty flat and nervous against Swansea and, as Lambert put it, are still “a million miles from where they want to be.”

The trouble is Villa will always be measured against the great teams of their past and the restless fans who booed the team off at half time and there was similar frustration at the end are making it tough to play at home.

Lambert said: “The difference from this year to last year, I know what you are saying there, but I feel a huge difference.

“Last year, as Randy said, would be your toughest year ever in football management. He never told me the second one would still gonna be hard. Listen I tell you honestly its a lot more easy to live with than it was last year.

“When you build something and you go right from the roots of it you know it will never be a quick fix, never in a month of Sundays, Thats the challenge of it and something - believe it or not - I actually enjoy.

“I don’t know if he (Lerner) enjoys it. He’s probably like everybody on the roller coaster isn’t he? Throwing up now and again. I speak to him a few times a week. The biggest thing about him is he’s been in sport not just a couple of years he’s been in sport for God knows how long so he understands.”

The visitors were, in their own way, equally frustrating.

Swansea had an astonishing 73 per cent of possession, were the better team and yet only had Roland Lamah’s headed equaliser to show for their superiority.

No-one has matched the five own goals the Swans have had in their favour in the Premier League.

Boss Michael Laudrup said: “Our top scorer in the Premier League is own goal. He’s a good player, if we could sign him and score another five for ten for the season, that would not be bad.

“With the way we play, with the possession, even against the top teams we have more of the ball, but if we can just create a few more chances and have a little higher percentage of goals from those chances I am certain we will get more points in the second half of the season.”

Offline aj2k77

Re: Gabby's goal celebration.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 09:37:08 AM »
''Booing has been the sound track to Villa's season''

More lazy journalists repeating the old mantra, all it is missing is fickle being thrown about aswell. Has booing been the soundtrack to Arsenals season too? I've heard them booed off the pitch on more than one occasion.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 09:59:18 AM »
If they weren't unified there would be a real problem, without Lambert only about 4 of these would be earning Prem League salaries so they should be grateful!

Think the crowd have been remarkably resilient thus far, with the cost of tickets a half time murmur & full time booo from those brave enough to watch the whole game is more than fair game....as said above lazy journalism!

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 10:05:12 AM »
''Booing has been the sound track to Villa's season''

More lazy journalists repeating the old mantra, all it is missing is fickle being thrown about aswell. Has booing been the soundtrack to Arsenals season too? I've heard them booed off the pitch on more than one occasion.

Yep, I thought that was a nonsense thing to write as well.

Offline junxs

• http://www.avfc.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 12:40:41 PM »
Interesting on Goals on Sunday (john Carew on the sofa btw) they mentioned something about the celebration without going into details. They said Gabby tried to show some unity by calling all the players to the bench but Lambert waved them all away..

Offline eastie

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 12:44:44 PM »
Interesting on Goals on Sunday (john Carew on the sofa btw) they mentioned something about the celebration without going into details. They said Gabby tried to show some unity by calling all the players to the bench but Lambert waved them all away..

I wouldn't say he waved them away , he gave the high fives to a couple - it made me smile as Lowton was next one there and lambert lowered his hand then , giving a couple of pats as he ran past .

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 10:30:50 AM »
I wasn't booing I was saying Boo Urns Boo urns..Joking aside I don't agree with Booing at half time, If were that shit just don't say anything but booing at half time surely has a negative affect.

I've had a few lads saying to me who support other teams why do you boo at half time?

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 10:33:57 AM »
The Mirror is full of bullshit day in day out.Anybody who reads it must have a screw lose.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 11:02:03 AM »
The Mirror is full of bullshit day in day out.Anybody who reads it must have a screw lose.

I take the Mirror, which probably proves your point

Offline bertlambshank

• GM : 30.06.2019
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 11:04:49 AM »

When was the last time they wrote an exclusive about the Villa and it turned out to be true?

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 12:54:34 PM »
I wasn't booing I was saying Boo Urns Boo urns..Joking aside I don't agree with Booing at half time, If were that shit just don't say anything but booing at half time surely has a negative affect.

I've had a few lads saying to me who support other teams why do you boo at half time?

I was listening to 5Live on the way to the game on Saturday and West Ham were booed off at half time. They have been a few times this season as they feel Allardyce is beneath them.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 01:29:58 PM »
Are they seriously suggesting that booing a team at half time is something only we do?Loads of clubs fans do it.Man U have been doing it at practically every home game this season
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 01:31:53 PM by VillaAlways »

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 01:43:22 PM »
I remember Villa getting booed onto the pitch before a game in the late 60s / early 70s.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 01:51:04 PM »

When was the last time they wrote an exclusive about the Villa and it turned out to be true?

Loads of times, its the best paper ever for factual articles and in depth reporting on a whole raft of terribly important issues

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 03:25:24 PM »
I remember Villa getting booed onto the pitch before a game in the late 60s / early 70s.

Was it a home game Dave?!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal