collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by brontebilly
[Today at 01:49:23 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by simon ward 50
[Today at 01:43:06 PM]

Pre-season 2024/25 by Somniloquism
[Today at 01:40:42 PM]

NSWE Investment by FrankyH
[Today at 01:25:27 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by dalians umbrella
[Today at 01:06:15 PM]

Villa songs on Alexa by Louzie0
[Today at 12:16:54 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by WarszaVillan
[Today at 12:15:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Standard of player  (Read 5420 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Standard of player
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2013, 07:42:17 PM »
Lambert has to be judged on his signings and had got the ones this summer woefully wrong apart from Okore, but lets not re-write history here.

Guzan (Lambert signed him) is easily a top 10 in the league keeper and proves it weekly.
Lowton - is a good player and will return to form. He is learning, and needs experience round him
Vlaar - good leader, solid this term, no coincidence that when he is out we struggle
Okore - Looked a really solid player before the injury. Very unlucky to have got the injury, and will be a very good signing long term.
Westwood - I know he has had a tough time this season, but he is a good player. He keeps the ball, reads the game well and is really highly thought of.
Benteke - not much needs saying.

Beyond that, Bacuna, Bennett and Kozak are in the iffy category.

The biggest issue is that this lot need some experience heads around them to help them. In the middle of the park if you put a genuine number 10 who will come and take the ball and make you play in the opposition half, then Westwood and Benteke suddenly look very different as they are both helped no end. Another centre half comes in and the flexibility to got 3-5-2 in games is opened up. A genuine defensive midfielder comes in and covers the back 4 and the full backs are not as exposed - in the 4-3-3 a number 10 and a couple of wide players that can beat the opposition and supply the forwards and we are transformed. The problem is the likes of Tonev, Luna, KEA, Baker etc are not good enough and the injuries to the likes of Vlaar, Okore etc are killing us. We have got decent players, but they need decent players with them to bring them back up a level or 6.

You have captured what I'd say here.
Lambert has been unlucky with the injuries - Okore, Bennett, Vlaar and Benteke have been missed for different reasons - but that's what happens, and we've been a little naive in some positions with the lack of cover (defensively, particularly).

The key point you make is that we have to bring in some experience to take the pressure off the players who need time to develop (Barry and Huddlestone are two that got away in the summer, as examples) - Lescott and de Bruyne might be good loan acquisitions.

January will see us gain very few points unless we act quickly.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2013, 07:58:49 PM »

But its not just about the players, the biggest problem i have with PL is the tactics, and the coaching.

Yesterday was a great example of a club philosophy.There was a moment in the 2nd half, when the crowd were very supportive, the players responded, and tried to close the Swansea players down quicker, and further up the pitch.The Swansea players, because of their coaching, tactics, managers belief, knocked it around for 7 or 8 good one touch passes, and they were out of trouble counter-attacking us.It was quite impressive, and something i have seen from a Villa team under PL.

The lack of movement of the ball, the lack of support for the player on the ball, the lack of encouragement on and off the pitch, are the problems i have with PL, in some ways the actual players are irrelevant, you have a system, a style of play, you bring in players you think can play that system, and dispense with those who can't.What is PLs system, or style of play?I don't know, but i've seen no evidence of great tactician on the sidelines, going back to the Bradford game last year, hoof it and hope.Swindon under Hoddle had some right donkeys, but he produced a style of play that got them into the top league.

PL worries me, i think he is out of his depth, and hes done nothing to convince me otherwise.

Offline levico

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2013, 08:03:59 PM »

But its not just about the players, the biggest problem i have with PL is the tactics, and the coaching.

Yesterday was a great example of a club philosophy.There was a moment in the 2nd half, when the crowd were very supportive, the players responded, and tried to close the Swansea players down quicker, and further up the pitch.The Swansea players, because of their coaching, tactics, managers belief, knocked it around for 7 or 8 good one touch passes, and they were out of trouble counter-attacking us.It was quite impressive, and something i have seen from a Villa team under PL.

The lack of movement of the ball, the lack of support for the player on the ball, the lack of encouragement on and off the pitch, are the problems i have with PL, in some ways the actual players are irrelevant, you have a system, a style of play, you bring in players you think can play that system, and dispense with those who can't.What is PLs system, or style of play?I don't know, but i've seen no evidence of great tactician on the sidelines, going back to the Bradford game last year, hoof it and hope.Swindon under Hoddle had some right donkeys, but he produced a style of play that got them into the top league.

PL worries me, i think he is out of his depth, and hes done nothing to convince me otherwise.

This, this and this again.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2013, 10:00:40 PM »
I think we have some good players. Weimann, Westwood & Lowton to name a few.

However, a distinct lack of confidence is reducing these players to standards well below what not only what we expect, but I also think what they expect of themselves.

No player wants the ball, which means that nobody is available to pass it to. It's a massive confidence issue. Over time, these players have shown they're capable of passing it, but lack of confidence is reducing them to looking very poor.

For a number of reasons, the players have no confidence whatsoever, but, with confidence, I think there's a good team there.

Whether Lambert is the one to drag them up an regain their confidence is another question...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 10:03:23 PM by Can Bent Be Bettered!?!? »

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2013, 10:55:05 PM »

Yesterday was a great example of a club philosophy.There was a moment in the 2nd half, when the crowd were very supportive, the players responded, and tried to close the Swansea players down quicker, and further up the pitch.

I noticed that, but it fizzled out as soon as it started. It is the job of the Captain to maintain that effort for 90 minutes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal