collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Half-season report card  (Read 5008 times)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Half-season report card
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 09:42:53 AM »
Very good - Guzan, Vlaar
Good - Delph
Good but not with enough frequency - Gabby
Nothing like good enough - everyone else.

In spite of his blip I'd have Benteke in the very good bracket.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 12:13:48 PM »
D+

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 12:22:54 PM »

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2013, 12:32:32 PM »
Proud history shite future.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 12:34:01 PM »
Proud history, bright future, murky present.

Offline supertom

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2013, 12:38:30 PM »
Good- Guzan, Vlaar, Delph.
Much improved- Clark
Okay- Gabby, Kojak
Let down- Benteke, Westwood, Lowton, Weimann

Not good enough and never will be- KEA, Bacuna, Luna, Bowery, Baker, Tonev, Westwood, Lowton, Helenius, and Lambert.

Poorest side I've ever known and the most tactically clueless manager. McLeish was awful at times but he had a game plan at the very least. It was fuck ugly but it was a plan that was going relatively comfortably until injuries.
Lambert winds the players up and then releases them out the tunnel hoping for the best.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2013, 12:45:47 PM »
Lets face it for the last few years we've lurched from shambles to absolute garbage. We are not being run well, you can't run a Premier League team on the cheap for the most part. We need a change at the club, because our plans are not working and these cheap players we are buying are just not good enough.

Offline supertom

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 12:48:27 PM »
Lets face it for the last few years we've lurched from shambles to absolute garbage. We are not being run well, you can't run a Premier League team on the cheap for the most part. We need a change at the club, because our plans are not working and these cheap players we are buying are just not good enough.
Yep, change of tac definitely required. If Randy can't afford to put anything more into the side to get better players in, he has to look to sell because he'll sure as shite not make any money off us in the Championship.
Likewise Lambert needs to be looking at better quality. That's if he keeps his job, which in all honesty, I don't think he should. Hopeless. He's just way out of his depth.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2013, 01:38:26 PM »
well Its loooking like keep Guzan and Vlaar and sell the rest   ;)

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2013, 01:40:04 PM »
with only CB getting any decent money

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2013, 01:45:29 PM »
Guzan: has perhaps not been quite as good as last season but still generally excellent and well worth his place. A-

Baker: looks ok alongside Vlaar, not so much alongside Clark. Out of his depth at full-back and doesn't seem to be improving. C-

Bennett: I assume he's injured. Had forgotten about him until I consulted the back of the programme for the purposes of this post. Didn't impress when he was in the team. C-

Vlaar: has been much improved this term and we're hugely-better when he plays. If only he wasn't always injured. B+

Okore: looked ok before, inevitably, getting injured. I worry that he might be too short for centre-half and might eventual end up playing at right back. C

Clark: sadly, I don't think he's ever going to be good enough. Just about tolerable alongside Vlaar, hideous otherwise. C-

Bacuna: still learning at this level but has, occasionally, looked a liability in defence. Generally better going forwards but seems to have suffered a bit of a knock in confidence. A genuine threat at set pieces who we all hope gets the chance to thrive further forward. C+

El Ahmadi: I don't mind him as much as some and think he's improved this year. Still should only be squad-filler material though. C+

Helenius: has looked ok but nothing more. I'm not sure he'll ever amount to a top striker as he lacks half a yard of pace. C-

Weimann: one of the biggest disappointments. His goal scoring seems to have dried up and, worse, he sometimes goes missing. D

Agbonlabor: excellent work rate out wide albeit at the expense of a decent scoring record. B-

Albrighton: has shown some of the promise that got us excited when he broke through under Houllier what seems like decades ago. B

Steer: kept a clean sheet against Rotherham and I've forgotten all Spurs' goals so can't remember if he was at fault for any of them. I'll play safe and say C.

Luna: the initial impression seemed to be that he was poor defensively and good going forwards. Since then, his attacking play has faded. That said, he's been unlucky with injuries and I'm not writing him off yet. Especially if he can learn how to take a legitimate throw-in. C

Westwood: Albion goal aside, one of the biggest disappointments. Simply hasn't developed and has, if anything, got worse. D

Delph. Not always as effective as last season but has had weaker support around him. Still easily our best midfielder and the person that gave him 1/10 must be watching a different team. B+

Herd: I still don't know what position he plays but he's tried his best when he's been called upon. C

Sylla: one of the best performers in the run-in last year, another who has gone backwards. D+

Benteke: started brilliantly, got injured, came back shite. Seems to be lacking confidence. We desperately need him to rediscover his form and I think he will. C

Bowery: hasn't let us down when called upon but hasn't done anything special either. C. I mean, sorry got mixed up, utterly fantastic star, easily better than Ronaldo, Messi and Ibrahimovic combined. I just hope we can hold on to him with vultures like Barcelona and Real apparently set to swoop. A+++++++++

Tonev: another one I wouldn't completely give up as he has shown the odd glimpse. Sadly this has been pretty rare and his shooting is woeful. D

Kozak: looks ok, nothing more. Tries hard though and has scored a few. B-

Lowton: another who seems to have regressed. C-

Robertson: looked ok during his brief appearance. Wouldn't be fair to award a grade on the basis of a few minutes though. N/A

Lambert: disappointing. The results haven't got any better but the performances are getting worse. The defence is slightly better but the attack looks utterly-toothless when Benteke's out or lacking form and we are desperately lacking creativity. Most of our chances come from counter-attacks or long hoofs. Should be under pressure to save his job although I'd give him till after the Sunderland game. D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 01:48:29 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2013, 02:16:37 PM »
Proud history, bright future, murky present.
Unless we get an owner who knows how to run a football club and a manager who knows how to manage properly it will be a long time before we see that bright future...

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2013, 10:57:32 PM »
Sorry, but don't see the big fuss over Delph when he misses so many games through suspension.

What one so far?

Best player by a mile this season with possible exceptions of vlaar and Guzan

Giving him a 1 out of ten discredits your whole post! Damn it even the whole thread. 

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2013, 08:53:02 AM »
If he's staying we desperately need to add quality to the squad.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2013, 10:43:35 PM »
I can't believe anyone's given baker and Clark the same score. No way.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal