collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Pressed off.  (Read 4711 times)

Offline kippaxvilla2

Re: Pressed off.
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 11:33:30 AM »
Barry would've suited us down to the ground as would Lescott.

A big mistake not moving for Barry IMO.

I'd assumed he wouldn't want to come back but after hearing he quite fancied it I'm all he more baffled we passed the opportunity up. It's things like that hat do make me worry about PL and his judgement, far more than his transfer permanent transfer deals and playing style.

If you can't see that the squad would've benefitted from having Gaz Baz around for a few months then I'm lost.

Without wishing to sound derogatory it is now a well established principle that Villa will not pay exorbitant wages particularly for players theoretically passed their prime.  However much I disagree with it.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2013, 11:59:44 AM »
I doubt he'd have wanted to join us. Everton are just better than us at the moment. Plus they're in the North-West so he wouldn't have to bother uprooting his family.

Other than past affection, I can't see any reason why he'd turn Everton down for us. I doubt past affection counts for too much.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2013, 12:00:46 PM »
Has anyone said officially that Barry wanted to join us, or is it one of those stories that become accepted fact?

Offline eastie

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 12:02:28 PM »
I doubt he'd have wanted to join us. Everton are just better than us at the moment. Plus they're in the North-West so he wouldn't have to bother uprooting his family.

Other than past affection, I can't see any reason why he'd turn Everton down for us. I doubt past affection counts for too much.

I saw him quoted as not wanting to leave the north-west as he didn't want his kids changing school , he also mentioned that arsenal had contact with him in the summer but he never mentioned villa .

Everton loanee Gareth Barry has revealed he nearly joined Arsenal instead during the summer transfer window.

Barry has proved to be a revelation for the Toffees since arriving from Manchester City on a season-long loan, helping the club enjoy a push towards the top four.

But the 32-year-old has admitted that he nearly ended up at Arsenal instead, with Arsene Wenger keen on him before Mathieu Flamini re-joined the club.

‘There was contact with Arsenal over the summer,’ explained Barry.

MORE: Arsenal chase exciting Belgium striker Michy Batshuayi

Barry would like to stay at Everton in a permanent deal (Picture: Getty)
‘They were interested, but I think they went down the road with Flamini who was training with them, and I joined Everton instead.’

The move to Merseyside looks like being a smart one for Barry, with growing suggestions that Roberto Martinez will make the deal permanent in the summer.

And the England international says that is something he would welcome.

‘I’m really enjoying it and I’m as excited now as when I signed because I’ve got a feel for the club,’ he added.

‘I’m enjoying working under the manager and the coaching staff here, the training is fantastic and the style of play the manager wants us to play is really enjoyable.

‘I’m really excited for the rest of the season.’

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 12:05:42 PM by eastie »

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 12:12:06 PM »
Has anyone said officially that Barry wanted to join us, or is it one of those stories that become accepted fact?

Become accepted fact in my case as I read it on here.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 12:14:07 PM »
Barry would've suited us down to the ground as would Lescott.

A big mistake not moving for Barry IMO.

I'd assumed he wouldn't want to come back but after hearing he quite fancied it I'm all he more baffled we passed the opportunity up. It's things like that hat do make me worry about PL and his judgement, far more than his transfer permanent transfer deals and playing style.

If you can't see that the squad would've benefitted from having Gaz Baz around for a few months then I'm lost.

Without wishing to sound derogatory it is now a well established principle that Villa will not pay exorbitant wages particularly for players theoretically passed their prime.  However much I disagree with it.

Which rules out all the sorts of players we can realistically get and desperately need.

I agree it very frustrating.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 04:29:17 PM »

I think I read on here that a poster who chatted with him at the game in honour of Stan at Halesowen said GB would love to be back but he was 10 years too old, or something close to that. So hardly official.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 08:12:01 PM »
I clearly remember hearing on the radio whilst driving home from work in the summer that Barry had been offered to Villa on loan, he was up for it, but Lambert said no. This was Talksport however so I accept it could be bollocks.

It was mid summer though and weeks before he joined Everton right at the end of the window. So IF it was true it wouldn't have needed to come down to him choosing us or Everton as we could have signed him before they showed interest, which I assume arose due them receiving big money for Felaini.

Offline supertom

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 08:19:30 PM »
I was going more on the assumption that we were offered Barry (along with a lot of other clubs) but declined to make any sort of formal approach. Yes by the end he probably would still have ended up at Everton. That we seemed to nix the idea altogether is probably what annoys a lot of people. Largely in retrospect of course. Many thought he was past it and not sure how many expected him to get back to the level he's playing at for Everton at the moment.

But certainly, I would hope Lambert now realises we're crying out for a bit of experience in the side, and definitely more quality.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2013, 11:35:52 PM »
Merry Christmas Dave!! Thanks for the great articles that (perversely) manage to lift my gloom following another cack performance or poor result. Have a good one :-)

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2013, 11:53:05 PM »
Great article again Dave.
Bit harsh on Bennett, and Lowton and Sylla have disappointed as much as Westwood.

We go again - with Kozak as our leader!

Merry Christmas mate.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2013, 12:30:44 AM »
Agree with all of your key points Dave. You in particular nailed it for me with the comment about what kind of players we should sign more of.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal