collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Pressed off.  (Read 4710 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Pressed off.
« on: December 23, 2013, 01:38:43 AM »

Offline Damo70

Re: Pressed off.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 02:00:13 AM »
Yuletide felicitations to you too Dave. Three points on Boxing Day has now gone from on my Christmas wish list to top of my Christmas wish list.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 07:52:28 AM »
Bit harsh on Bennett, he's barely played has he? Or is that the point?

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 08:00:01 AM »
And Merry bloody Christmas to you :)

Harsh on Bennett who has been out injured but otherwise..yeah. Hopefully our glorious 8-0 victory over Palace will help our moods :)

Offline eastie

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 08:00:39 AM »
Bit harsh on Bennett, he's barely played has he? Or is that the point?

I'd say more true of Lowton than Bennett but the article is a good one .
Merry christmas to you too Dave, enjoy your pieces every Monday morning - always a good read.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 09:01:11 AM »
I don't think the young kids are suffering from complacency Dave. Fortunately, apart from the United game when we just rolled over, the kids have been putting a real shift in. Bring in a couple of experienced players as you suggest and it augers well should we be dragged into another relegation scrap. Loan players of course.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 09:18:43 AM »
Perfectly summed up. As well as the injuries, the players that served him well last season haven't done it for him this season. Westwood couldn't complain if he'd been dropped for the Palace game rather than be suspended.  He was excellent against the Stripeyfilth in the second half but that's about it.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 09:18:58 AM »
Happy Christmas Dave another good read for us.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 09:28:53 AM »
Good article, Dave - and happy Christmas!
I only hope you're right about the signings. It's time, at least in the short term, to abandon "young and hungry" and go for experience and proven ability rather than youthful promise. It's a shame we didn't go for Barry when Everton snapped him up. Imagine him and Lescott in the team.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 09:32:50 AM »
The most critical assessment i have read from you Dave, I hope now that we are seeing the end of the high wage non playing group that money will be made avaieable for suitably experienced players.

Offline glasses

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 10:06:31 AM »
I think you are bang on about the players not seeming to want responsibility for the ball, and the movement off it, and the concept of playing the ball into space. Being of the age I am the best I have seen at playing the ball into space in my time is Barry. Perhaps Merson too, but you need more than one in a team at a time that can make those sort of passes.

I sat in the Lower Witton Lane for the Sunderland game which was a real eye opener for me as I usually sit in Holte. I know it was only one game, and not a great performance, but the movement especially in the centre of midfield if awful. They don't seem to communicate with each other at all either. I could hear the Sunderland players talking , but our lot were very quiet.

I agree with the areas selected for improvement too. I actually think two good central midfielders would possibly be enough to help out the defence and support the attack as at the moment, our centre midfield is just bodies occupying shirts in the middle of the pitch. Delph being the best of those bodies.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 10:13:16 AM »
Barry would've suited us down to the ground as would Lescott.

A big mistake not moving for Barry IMO.

I'd assumed he wouldn't want to come back but after hearing he quite fancied it I'm all he more baffled we passed the opportunity up. It's things like that hat do make me worry about PL and his judgement, far more than his transfer permanent transfer deals and playing style.

If you can't see that the squad would've benefitted from having Gaz Baz around for a few months then I'm lost.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 10:15:19 AM »
The midfield for me are too static. There's no movement, no running at players and no energy. All they seem capable of (other than Delph) are passing it 3 yards to each other. You look at Ross Barkley trying to make things happen in the Everton midfield and that's the kind of thing we need.

Offline eastie

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 10:24:13 AM »
The midfield for me are too static. There's no movement, no running at players and no energy. All they seem capable of (other than Delph) are passing it 3 yards to each other. You look at Ross Barkley trying to make things happen in the Everton midfield and that's the kind of thing we need.

Totally correct - there is a woeful lack of creativity and spark in there - our pass percentages are poor and the vast majority are short 5 yard balls too and for sure we need someone with a bit of urgency .

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 11:08:11 AM »
A good article as ever Dave!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal