collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Des Little
[Today at 08:12:27 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 08:11:31 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by rob_bridge
[Today at 08:10:44 PM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Steve67
[Today at 08:10:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by dave.woodhall
[Today at 08:10:18 PM]

Re: Diego Carlos by rob_bridge
[Today at 08:05:25 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 08:03:24 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 08:02:09 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul Lambert on Randy Lerner .  (Read 19980 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: Paul Lambert on Randy Lerner .
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2013, 03:09:26 PM »
It's interesting how often Chairmen sack their managers without having a plan in place as to who is going to replace them either. I get pissed off with fans calling for the sack and then not having an answer for who they would give the job to, let alone the guy running the football club.

Offline eastie

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2013, 03:13:07 PM »
It's interesting how often Chairmen sack their managers without having a plan in place as to who is going to replace them either. I get pissed off with fans calling for the sack and then not having an answer for who they would give the job to, let alone the guy running the football club.

Yes you would think it makes sense for a chairman to know who he wants to bring in rather than sack a manager and leave a club rudderless for weeks , some clubs do make very quick appointments but a lot don't seem to have anyone in mind.

Offline supertom

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2013, 03:43:24 PM »
Occasionally they have a plan of who they'll get it but it doesn't quite transpire. We openly courted Martinez before McLeish, and OGS before getting Lambert.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2013, 03:45:49 PM »
I'm not sure we openly courted either, from what I understand we encouraged both to meet with us under no guarantee that they'd be offered the job.  Randy seems to want to meet with someone before he makes a decision.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2013, 03:49:41 PM »
I'm not sure we openly courted either, from what I understand we encouraged both to meet with us under no guarantee that they'd be offered the job.  Randy seems to want to meet with someone before he makes a decision.

We wanted Solskjaer.

Offline supertom

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2013, 03:54:21 PM »

We wanted Solskjær.

I also cling on to the faint hope that Randy at the very least wanted Martinez over McLeish. We were sadly very publicly rejected though. Saying that I think it was a year too soon for Martinez.

Online ez

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2013, 03:59:35 PM »

Very true. Another one is when people say give Lambert time but never say how much.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2013, 04:00:09 PM »

We wanted Solskjær.

Almost certainly, and Lerner had met with him as we know so it went passed the point I mentioned, I think that one was an odd situation where he'd have been our manager but for some pretty dubious tactics by his chairman at Molde.  So I'll concede on that one but I still think we'd have spoken to other people before it happened, and may well have already done so.  To me openly courted suggests they were the first and only target and we weren't considering anyone else, which i don't think is the case.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2013, 04:15:10 PM »
Solakjaer was their first choice, of that I'm certain.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2013, 04:15:21 PM »

Martinez was clearly plan A. Mcliesh was a fuck it he will do appointment.

We wanted Solskjær.

I also cling on to the faint hope that Randy at the very least wanted Martinez over McLeish. We were sadly very publicly rejected though. Saying that I think it was a year too soon for Martinez.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2013, 04:36:34 PM »

And there's something in me which still thinks he'd have been better. No evidence or anything really, just what he says about the game seems to chime more with what I think (which means precisely f**k-nothing, of course).

However, considering everything, Lambert hasn't done all that badly. Not a fun spell right now, but there is hope in a way there wasn't before.

Offline eastie

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2013, 04:42:53 PM »

If lambert did go and I doubt he will unless a very bad run of results are ahead , would you think Randy would make another attempt for solksjaer ?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2013, 04:43:39 PM »
However, considering everything, Lambert hasn't done all that badly. Not a fun spell right now, but there is hope in a way there wasn't before.

That for me is the key.  For DOL's entire reign, towards the end of MON, all of Le Gaffeur, and all of TSM's reign I had the feeling that what I was watching was the best we'd get under the manager at that time and that it was only going to get worse, or at best, stay the same.  Initially under MON there was an optimism about the place that we were going in the right direction.  Whilst I really don't like losing to the likes of Stoke and playing as badly as we did in the Sunderland home game I've got a similar feeling when Randy arrived and MON took over - I actually feel optimistic that things are going to get better.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2013, 04:45:22 PM »

If lambert did go and I doubt he will unless a very bad run of results are ahead , would you think Randy would make another attempt for solksjaer ?

No idea.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2013, 05:01:29 PM »

And there's something in me which still thinks he'd have been better. No evidence or anything really, just what he says about the game seems to chime more with what I think (which means precisely f**k-nothing, of course).

I agree, I always thought solskjaer would have been a great appointment and his was the only name we were heavily linked with that I considered genuinely exciting.  I do think Lambert has done ok though, I know a lot of things have been frustrating but I really believe that last season was an absolute requirement to get ourselves in a position to start progressing and I think without the injuries that have really knocked us this season we'd be 5-6 points better off and no one would be seriously questioning Lambert.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal