collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul Lambert on Randy Lerner .  (Read 19846 times)

Offline eastie

Paul Lambert on Randy Lerner .
« on: December 22, 2013, 01:09:34 PM »
Quote from: official site

Paul Lambert has hailed Randy Lerner as the best chairman he's worked under.

Lambert was appointed by Lerner in June 2012 and is now the sixth longest-serving manager in the Barclays Premier League - and the 27th in England as a whole.

Lambert praised Robbie Cowling, his former boss at Colchester.

But the 44-year-old picked out Lerner as No.1 due - in great part - to his understanding during the tough festive season one year ago.

Lambert said Lerner not only appreciated the pain of defeat after defeat after defeat but also the magnitude of the long haul job facing him.

He said: "It's easy to sit here and say your chairman is really good because you think that will keep you in the job one week later.

"But I get on really well with him.

"He took over in 2006. The stadium is fantastic. Look at the training ground too.

"He has plummeted one heck of a lot of money into the club - on and off the pitch. There has to be that respect. He's been great to work with too.

"When I came in, he told me it would be my hardest year in management. He was right. He was totally right. If you come through that, you come through most things.

"He knew the magnitude of it, on and off the field.

"It's not a challenge I will run away from. This job is years - not just one or two. He knew it would be a major haul.

"I remember when he rang me after the Chelsea game. He said 'how are you?' He phones me after every match. We speak regularly.

"I don't think I could have got away with 'we were unlucky.' But he tells you how it is. If you're that successful in business, you don't tread on eggshells.

"No-one was happy about losing. But there was the human side of him, that's his way. He knew what we were going through.

"He watches everything, every game.

"He's a good guy - the best chairman I've worked with, no doubt, definitely. Robbie Cowling was good. But Randy is probably the best."

Of course, this past week has seen the departure of bosses Andres Villas-Boas and Steve Clarke from Tottenham and West Brom respectively.

Lambert thinks time is not a friendly quality for managers these days.

He added: "It's unforgiving. You used to get a few games to turn it around, now it's one or two matches!

"They say 'get him out, we will get someone else.'

"Then the same problems keep starting. Money starts turning over and over. How do you stabilise it?

"It's incredible. It's impossible. It can't keep going the way it's going.

"Look at the amount of managers that have lost their jobs, it's incredible. It really is. It's incredible the football world.

"You get no respite. You used to get a right few games before pressure now you only have virtually one game. It's ridiculous. It's not right."

Offline Villafirst

Re: Paul Lambert on Randy Lerner .
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 01:27:07 PM »
The Villa Park redevelopment was all done during Doug's reign - there's been no expansion of the stadium in the last seven years. The only difference is the Holte Pub refurb.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 01:29:16 PM »
Lerner completed the training ground to a spec that Deadly wouldn't finance. Lerners put in the dollar bills, unfortunately he has a habbit of hiring the wrong person in both American and our Football.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 01:30:28 PM »
Lambert was appointed by Lerner in June 2012 and is now the sixth longest-serving manager in the Barclays Premier League - and the 27th in England as a whole.
Truly shocking in how the PL owners treat their Managers.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 01:31:27 PM »

Jeez. Some things make you look open-gobbed in astonishment and this is one of them.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 01:48:11 PM »
And if many had their way, he certainly wouldn't be any more.

Wenger, Pardew, Jol, Allardyce and Bruce the ones with longer tenure?

Offline eastie

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 01:49:42 PM »
And if many had their way, he certainly wouldn't be any more.

Wenger, Pardew, Jol, Allardyce and Bruce the ones with longer tenure?

Jol is gone.

Mackay maybe the other one at least for a few more hours .

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 01:55:52 PM »
I must have read that over and over again to make sure I really ready what I thought I read. That's quite ridiculous.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 01:56:44 PM »
Brendan Rodgers was appointed just before Lambert, I think.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 01:57:18 PM »
Does that include managers whose clubs weren't in the Premier League when he was appointed, such as Mackay?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 01:57:36 PM »

Jeez. Some things make you look open-gobbed in astonishment and this is one of them.
Alan Pardew is second longest-serving behind Wenger and he has been at Newcastle three years.

Offline eastie

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 02:05:34 PM »
Does that include managers whose clubs weren't in the Premier League when he was appointed, such as Mackay?

Wenger, pardew, Rodgers, Bruce and mackay - are they the five ?
If so then yes Bruce and mackay have not long been promoted.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 02:15:55 PM »
The Villa Park redevelopment was all done during Doug's reign - there's been no expansion of the stadium in the last seven years. The only difference is the Holte Pub refurb.

Villa Park is hugely different on the inside to how it looked when Doug sold the club. 

The Holte Suite has been completely redeveloped, almost every corporate facility in the Trinity Road Stand has been redeveloped, the tunnel area has been redeveloped, there's the new club shop on Witton Lane, the giant TV in the Holte End car park wasn't there when Doug was around I think, the William McGregor statue (and yes, I know Randy didn't pay for that but I'm sure he sanctioned it - DW will correct me if I'm wrong), VMF, I believe the Corner Flag Restaurant has been refurbished although I've not been in recently, etc, etc.

But Randy's major infrastructure legacy if he left tomorrow would be Bodymoor.  That's widely regarded as being one of the best facilities of its kind in the country.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 02:19:43 PM »
Didn't randy fund the redevelopment of the indoor pitches, etc next to ground as part of the academy revamp?  I might be wrong.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 02:22:32 PM »
Managers by their date of appointment:

Wenger (30/09/96)
Pardew (6/12/10)
Allardyce (1/06/11)
Mackay (17/06/11)
Rodgers (1/06/12)
Lambert (2/06/12)
Bruce (8/06/12)