collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much more can we bear?...  (Read 31304 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: How much more can we bear?...
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 07:14:12 PM »
8 home games we've played this season against a mixture of opposition:

5 home defeats, 1 draw and two wins.
We have failed to score in five of the games.
The one draw we had we were second best v Sunderland and really should've lost.
The two wins really turned on two terrific free kicks by Bacuna which obviously won't happen every game. The City game was  a fluke, an enjoyable one but a fluke as it's completely out of context with what we've done in other home games.

Really those are grim stats. Lambert is getting off lighty with those stats as he regularly picks up away points which keep us mid table.

We are not good to watch at home at all, we desperately need a number 10 in January, it won't solve everything and make VP in a fortress but it would make things more interesting and one would hope get Benteke firing again.

I don't blame anyone not renewing in the summer. It's up to the club to get a team on the pitch who can play with a bit of style and win some damm home games. The fans will come back then.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 07:14:19 PM »
We're 11th in the league. That will do for me in May.

Sadly the season doesn't end today, Lee. Forget midtable, we're a bottom half side in a piss poor league.

We have four relatively 'winnable' matches coming up.

Let's hope things change but right now there doesn't appear to be any signs of improvement. We're getting worse not better.

Offline supertom

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 07:14:53 PM »
It actually surprises me that Utd at home sells out every season. You'd think we'd learn by now.

Online German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 07:16:02 PM »

Pretty much sums how the club have lowered the fans expectations. Shocking resignation of any ambition.

After the last three years of chaos and near relegation, what postion would you be satisfied with, come May?

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 07:17:53 PM »
Exactly.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 07:19:38 PM »
It actually surprises me that Utd at home sells out every season. You'd think we'd learn by now.

A few years back it only attracted 36k for some reason.

The reality is there's a floating 5k or so who turn up just to see the big players or worse are actually away fans sat in home areas so that inflates the figure. Same for Liverpool really as Chelsea and Arsenal don't tend to sell out as regularly.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2013, 07:21:44 PM »
bought two half season tickets for me and the missus out of some twisted logic that the second half of the season cannot possibly be as bad as the first. Really doubting my wisdom after today.

Offline claret and blue blood

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 07:29:35 PM »
Empty seat next to me as my lad preferred to play football as his games kick off at 2 on Sunday's, he usually misses playing to watch us, but the opposition being that lot he opted out and I'm glad he did.

Offline Big Dick Edwards

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2013, 08:06:05 PM »
We've scored six league goals at home all season, and three of those were in one match! It isn't good enough for players and a manager representing Aston Villa.

Offline andyaston

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2013, 08:13:18 PM »
We've scored six league goals at home all season, and three of those were in one match! It isn't good enough for players and a manager representing Aston Villa.
And I missed that match. I'm fed up of this home form now its beyond boring and becoming a downright depressing chore to attend games at Villa Park.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 08:14:07 PM »
Sorry to repeat what I've written on the post-match thread, but it's the way I feel right now.

As a ST holder, I’m pissed off: having supported Lambert’s candidature as manager and welcomed his appointment, I’m at a point where I think he has reached a bit of an impasse. Today we faced a Utd team which could have been taken down by a side with energy, passion and verve. Instead, we saw a team that proved to be every bit as flaky as other Villa sides of the last three years. Luna, Sylla and Baker were, simply, hopeless. All three made mistakes that turned into goals for a side that was not particularly threatening otherwise.

Along with Luna, Sylla and Baker, KEA is not a Premiership player. Furthermore, Benteke is going through what seems to be a nightmare of a self-confidence crisis. And the ball retention of this team is awful.

Taken all into account Lambert really does not seem to know what to do about it all: his tactical options are limited; his substitutions are too little too late; his half-time talks seemingly ineffectual. The choice of MF seems to me to be critical in top-class footie these days: today, we saw a poor Sylla and a limited KEA team up, with Gardner and Bacuna on the bench. I said before the game, I’d love to have seen the youthful and technically-capable Bacuna and GG play as a breath of fresh air, alongside Westie. Lambert stuck with the tried and tested … but ultimately fallible.

Let’s hope Vlaar and Delph make the difference we need them to, otherwise we’re knackered this season.

And we need to make some astute January acquisitions - not "another one for the future" or "from the bargin-basement department". Everton, whom I thought might have struggled this season, pulled two fantastic season-long loans out of the bag and are prospering - any chance of Lambert doing this?? - nah, thought not.

Offline ez

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2013, 08:17:19 PM »

But he's talking about the home form. You can't be happy with that.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2013, 08:18:28 PM »
Till we die.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2013, 08:24:39 PM »
8 home games we've played this season against a mixture of opposition:
5 home defeats, 1 draw and two wins.
We have failed to score in five of the games.
The one draw we had we were second best v Sunderland and really should've lost.
The two wins really turned on two terrific free kicks by Bacuna which obviously won't happen every game. The City game was  a fluke, an enjoyable one but a fluke as it's completely out of context with what we've done in other home games.

Really those are grim stats. Lambert is getting off lighty with those stats as he regularly picks up away points which keep us mid table.

We are not good to watch at home at all, we desperately need a number 10 in January, it won't solve everything and make VP in a fortress but it would make things more interesting and one would hope get Benteke firing again.

I don't blame anyone not renewing in the summer. It's up to the club to get a team on the pitch who can play with a bit of style and win some damm home games. The fans will come back then.

I'm told that we are the only team in all four divisions yet to score a goal in the first half at home in the league. Is that true?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 08:30:12 PM by Des Little »

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2013, 08:28:07 PM »
I hope not.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal