collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How would you feel....  (Read 152971 times)

Offline aj2k77

Re: How would you feel....
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2013, 03:50:55 PM »
I'm in no way defending some of the performances this season as some of the play is about as bad as it gets but I would be disappointed if he got the bullet. In my view you don't get anywhere long term sacking managers after a bad run.

You don't get anywhere employing bad managers. There is nothing he is doing that suggests to me otherwise. There is no plan. We don't really play a certain style of football, we defend with our backs to the wall, that is it, so I cannot see what he is working towards. What is his brand? What are we working towards?

I don't think he even knows his best formation.

Offline supertom

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2013, 03:51:05 PM »
It's like I've said previously, Villa are like the England cricket team. We've been limping along for a while playing poorly but still getting results, unfortunately sooner or later you don't get those results and you're left with very little. People ignore a lot of issues when you're winning, because they can rationalised away. However once you start losing, then those issues become very apparent. Villa have issues all over the field, one defender away from defensive catastrophe, midfield that doesn't influence or control, attack that produces nothing. 
The other problem is that some of the teams around us are improving slightly. I don't think we'll have any trouble from the bottom 3 again, even though Palace look a lot better under Pulis, but would finishing 15th-16th be acceptable? My worry is that it would be for the board.

I'd say today we put out quite comfortably the worst midfield in the top flight. I'd have even welcomed wee Barry Bannan back today.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2013, 03:51:47 PM »
I'd like to hear the reasons for keeping Lambert first, just for balance and i mean football reasons like what it is exactly he brings to Villa rather than the usual we can't keep changing managers line that gets trotted out time and again.

Yes, that would be nice to hear/read.

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2013, 03:53:28 PM »
Continuity is meaningless, and quite possibly counter-productive, if the man in possession of the job isn't the right man.
Very good point!!

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2013, 03:53:58 PM »
If I'm honest it would probably give me a lift right now. The feeling that it might signal a different approach.

I respect a lot of people on here who are more patient than I am and they are right in many ways, you have to stick at things. Chopping and changing is not the right approach.

But I'm starting to worry that Lambert is getting it wrong more often than he's getting it right of late, that maybe things won't get any better (Up til now I've always felt things would improve if we just got our heads down). That maybe he's not capable of turning us into the progressive team that I think we all want to see.

But is it the time. You would think he'd have until at least the end of the season but any new manager could use January to improve the squad. I think for sure Randy will back Lambert at least until May.

Offline Rico

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2013, 03:55:26 PM »
Times up I'm afraid! Abysmal football which is nearly as bad as TSM. Get rid now so the new man can start to make changes in January. Probably get slated for saying this, but have been saying for ages that Hoddle would be my choice.

Offline supertom

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2013, 03:59:26 PM »
Continuity is meaningless, and quite possibly counter-productive, if the man in possession of the job isn't the right man.
Very good point!!
Personally I don't think he'll get us much better than an unattractive lower-mid table side. We might not get relegated but we'll never progress under Lambert. I don't think he's got it in him. He's out of his depth, like most of our squad is too. If we continue with our ethos too, and flog our few decent players then we're asking for trouble. Unearthing a Benteke happens once in a blue Tony. We've lost the scout who spotted him too have we not? The seconds seasons signings have been puzzling.

When I see players like KEA on the pitch and we can't string 5 passes together and we look embarrassingly disorganized, I really can't see the big picture.

We've had shit seasons in the past yes, but often we had players you knew had another level to them. You knew perhaps with the right guidance or a sudden upturn in form things could get better. I'm thinking Angel from Taylor- O Leary. I do worry about our squad and whoever might take over come the time Lambert is booted out or walks out. Whoever is the next manager of Aston Villa will more than likely inherit the worst squad we've had in donkeys years. Far too much sub-premier league quality.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2013, 03:59:46 PM »
Next 4 games are massive for us and him.

A) Stoke
H) Palace
H) Swansea
A) Sunderland

Play shit in most of them and/or fail to get results and it might be time for a rethink.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2013, 04:00:19 PM »
Paulie put far better than I ever could, but I honestly think the results away have hidden what a poor football team we actually are, we know the new mantra of the club from the top, buy cheap and lets see where it takes us, if he was also adding some of our younger players into the mix on a ongoing basis I could maybe give him the benefit, but we are playing players that are either hopelessly out of form or just hopeless and doing nothing to address the glaringly obvious faults that are being shown to be getting worse each week. It is going to be a long hard winter and I think Lambert has reached his limit and needs replacing, who with I have not got a clue, but I am not paid thousands a year by Aston Villa to make those decisions.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2013, 04:00:33 PM »
I want him to stay, at the same time I won't be lighting a candle in his memory if he gets the bullet. I like a lot of what he is trying to do, but fuck me there are a number of issues he seems blind to sorting out.
Can someone tell me what is meant every time someone says they 'like what he is trying to do'?  As far as I can tell he isn't trying to do anything.  Buying a load of shit players from abroad and lower leagues and turning us into the worst footballing team in the league and most appalling Villa side I have witnessed, isn't really doing anything at all.
Amen brother.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2013, 04:01:41 PM »
I'll except Okore from this, as I don't know yet. But have any of the players Lambert signed in the summer proved to be a significant improvement on what we had? I don't think so, and surely that's the point of signing players for the most part.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2013, 04:02:19 PM »
My support for Lambert is conditional on him trying something different to what he's actually doing, such as dropping players, getting in new coaching staff, or being properly linked with players who will provide solutions to obvious problems.

For too long, his fortunate results have negated the question of his failings. I think he's had his time here, myself.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2013, 04:02:39 PM »
I have been in the give him more time camp but if he did get the sack it is because of the inadequacy he is showing as our manager.

I would feel disappointed because it would show that our Club is not progressing and I worry that this is probably the truth.

Offline eastie

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2013, 04:03:36 PM »
I wouldn't be bothered if he was fired but I don't think there's any likelihood of that happening - even if  we lose to stoke , palace and swansea I can't see randy pulling the trigger .

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2013, 04:05:09 PM »
I won't lose any sleep.

Only manager i've rated since Gregory is Houllier because anyone with limited brain cells could see what he was trying to do.

Lambert & Co........ Yawn

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal