collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dwight Yorke.  (Read 32277 times)

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: Dwight Yorke.
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2013, 02:23:39 PM »
I wasn't at Old Trafford the day of the 'badge kiss' but I would ask the question of whether he was getting dogs abuse? & whether it was a stupid heat of the moment action or calculated action of a numpty?

McGrath aside Yorkie is easily the best, most exciting player I've ever seen since I started attending in 89-90...

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2013, 02:33:34 PM »
His chipped pen against the arse was pretty special.

Offline supertom

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2013, 02:43:57 PM »
Despite Everton and the badge kissing, and the fact I was at one a pre-season friendly against Wycombe the summer he left, and he'd said to a few of fans before the game that he wasn't going to leave, I still think he's the best player I've seen here in my time (90 onwards)barring God of course. I feel Tekkers has the potential to be even better, but he's got a long way to go to match Yorkie.

Yorke was a classy player. A class striker, great touch, shit-loads of ability, good enough technician that he could easily have played in midfield. Quick enough he could play wide. I thought for a time with us, and his first season at Utd he was a Worldy. He just then got caught up in the celeb lifestyle too much. Shagging Jordan, partying etc. Not good. When he should have been peaking he was rapidly declining. As it is he'll be remembered as a very good player but not a great one. He should however be considered up there in Premier League terms with some of the best.

It's a shame really because Yorke always had a fantastic attitude, but his ego finally got the better of him by the time Utd came sniffing around, and then during his time there. Money and success can make a bellend out of the best of us. I do think (or hope) however Yorke probably regrets some of his behaviour in retrospect.

If we had a striker like Yorke playing off Benteke we'd be fucking brilliant.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2013, 02:46:20 PM »
That piece could be shortened to 'Gis' a job'

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2013, 02:50:19 PM »
I fucking love Dwight Yorke for all of his ills. A proper superstar player that could do everything. He loved playing for us. Yes, things got a little out of control towards the end, but for me Dwight Yorke leaving is just one more example of how as a club we never capitalized on some of the incredible talent we've had down at VP over the years. He should have been the centrepiece of so much that we could have achieved and for one reason or another again we didn't make the most of it. Look at us now as compared to where we were going in the era of Dwight being at the club and how much more we could have achieved and didn't. For those that witnessed Dwight in his pomp in a Villa shirt you know he gave everything and did things that the current crop don't dare to dream of doing let alone have the ability.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2013, 03:18:11 PM »
If he turns out to be a good manager then yeah, we'll have a look. He'll have to go somewhere and prove he's a good manager first though.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2013, 03:20:49 PM »
I may have dreamt it but upon signing for the unwashed didn't he declare that they were the biggest club in Birmingham?

Yes

I wouldn't lose any sleep about that, its no doubt a contractual obligation on anyone who signs for them that they have to recite that ritual incantation.

Offline Ghost of Pongo Waring

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2013, 03:55:13 PM »
I may have dreamt it but upon signing for the unwashed didn't he declare that they were the biggest club in Birmingham?

Yes

I wouldn't lose any sleep about that, its no doubt a contractual obligation on anyone who signs for them that they have to recite that ritual incantation.

When Kevin Phillips joined Small Heath he said he'd loved his time at Villa and had great respect for the club and the fans. However his job was to play football and he'd now do his best for his new club and hoped fans would understand.

That's a perfectly fair and reasonble thing to say and it's not surprising the Phillips is held in high regard by fans of Villa, Small Heath and West Brom.

There was no need, or excuse, for Yorke to say what he did. Coupled with the badge kissing, and the display at Everton, it makes it very difficult to think kindly of him, from my point of view.

Absolutely loved the bloke when he was here but he's tarnished that immensely.

Offline Herman

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2013, 03:55:39 PM »
One or two ill judged comments or actions when he had left but when he was here, Yorkie was a fabulous player for us.
Although the years do seem to make things a little less clear, didn't he come in for Dalian towards the end of the 1992-93 season and scored a few goals. Then was dropped when Dalian was fit again and Dalian did F all for the remaining seven or eight games when we lost our way, had a poor end to the season and Man U won the league?
That was always the version of events which I seem to recall. However that doesn't necessarily mean that it's true.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2013, 04:03:54 PM »
Good of him to offer to manage us. Although, unless I've missed something his management CV (or lack of) makes Tony Adams' look experienced and impressive. I suppose SKY might like a season of picking a PL era legend for each club and giving them a year as boss. Liked him when he was here and he would probably get into my best Villa XI of the last thirty years, disliked him when he left and don't really care either way about him now.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2013, 04:55:40 PM »
In my time, which is from 71 onwards,and taking out the 81-82 legends who are all exempt, he is the best player I've seen at VP. He won games by himself just take a look at the DVD's for a reminder, he was better than God in so much as IMO it's harder to score goals than to prevent them but it's a close run thing and if anyone disagrees then I can understand.

He also had a fantastic song which was ours and no one else's which we sang everywhere.

As for the badge kissing, at the time I hated him, but hated Beckham more for the goal!

The thing about his time is we weren't scraping around the lower reaches like now, we were competing at the top and he was our key player.

Sigh, for those times

Offline sirlordbaltimore

Re: Dwight yorke.
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2013, 05:01:42 PM »
His love for us didn't stop him kissing the Man Utd badge in front of us at Old Trafford.

Our love for him didn't stop the Holte giving him dogs abuse either. Not sure why some supporters think abuse is ok one way but then have a shit fit when the player reacts in kind

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2013, 05:01:42 PM »
I try to vanish his time post us from my mind because while he was with us he gave us some wonderful memories. A goal he scored at VP against Forest - weaving run down the left, cut inside and the most brilliant curled finish into the top right corner - is one of the most memorable goals I've ever seen in B6. Wonderful.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2013, 05:10:34 PM »
Ash was probably the closest since Dwight in that you got off your seat when he had the ball. Ash was still a solid peg or three below Dwight in what he could actually do to influence a game. It was just so easy for him at times and a free at that. Some kid playing with a ball on a beach (or as the myth might have evolved). Thank goodness Sir Graham had a great eye during that tour.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2013, 05:12:36 PM »
Ash was probably the closest since Dwight in that you got off your seat when he had the ball. Ash was still a solid peg or three below Dwight in what he could actually do to influence a game. It was just so easy for him at times and a free at that. Some kid playing with a ball on a beach (or as the myth might have evolved). Thank goodness Sir Graham had a great eye during that tour.

This

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal