collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dwight Yorke.  (Read 32397 times)

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
Re: Dwight Yorke.
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 11:30:28 AM »
Absolutely loved him as a kid, especially before KO when he'd run the length of the pitch to the tunnel with the ball on his head!

I remember forgiving his move to Man Utd where he won a lot of medals, however being absolutely gutted when he signed for the rags.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 11:30:41 AM »
He was an amazing talent,I wasn't annoyed by him moving as he had outgrown us,I was annoyed that the football world only noticed how good he was after he joined Utd.

Great player,top man,terrible pundit.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 11:57:40 AM by garyshawsknee »

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 11:39:09 AM »
That piece could be shortened to 'Gis' a job'

Agreed. What with John Gregory now back in management, Sky/BT must be looking for a former Villa player to be a pundit for our games.
Great player, a joy to watch, bags of talent but still a Plastic FC badge kisser.

Offline T13theobh

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 11:51:52 AM »
Fantastic player, I loved him, but wouldn't put him in the same bracket as GOD and a few others; Sir Brian Little, Withe, Gray, Shaw, Sid, Morley, in fact the 1980/81 entire team but that's just my opinion. I guess for me he was equal but no better. I've met him and he was a nice bloke but that was while he was still a Villa player. I was absolutely gutted when he left and the way he engineered the move left a sour taste but I understood why he wanted to leave. What I dislike now is that he didn't have to kiss the badge in front of the Villa fans at Old Trafford and he didn't have to say the things he said when he joined the rags, but he did. Why would he do that if the Villa and the fans meant so much to him? It's nice to hear good things from past players but this just sounds like a bit of ass licking. I hope he apologises for his comments in part 2 after he's looked for the ManUre score....er sorry I mean the Villa score.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2013, 11:58:46 AM »
Brilliant player with my memories unfortunately tainted by the ManUre badge-kissing.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 12:00:02 PM »
I may have dreamt it but upon signing for the unwashed didn't he declare that they were the biggest club in Birmingham?

Offline richardhubbard

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 12:17:45 PM »
Great player and gave us 9 great years , to have two players like him and McGrath in the same team we were very lucky

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 12:34:09 PM »
It was his behaviour at Goodison which blighted my memory of him. I dare say JG could have handle the player's departure with more aplomb, but the episode left a sour taste in my mouth.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 12:34:21 PM »
One of the few truly world class players i've seen play for us in about 37 years. The other two being Platt and McGrath. Many others were just a slight level below, Sid, Laursen etc.

His actions after leaving us left a sour taste, but fuck me, when his song was being belted out it was something special. No other players song has ever felt like it was sung that loud or that often. If that makes sense.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 12:43:16 PM by PeterWithesShin »

Online Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 12:38:21 PM »
I may have dreamt it but upon signing for the unwashed didn't he declare that they were the biggest club in Birmingham?

Yes

Online edgysatsuma89

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 01:35:30 PM »
Everton game + kissing united badge = knobhead. I just don't believe him, maybe he is telling the truth, but I've always found him to be insincere. Could just be me, but yeah, shocking pundit and just looking for a job. Top striker though. Knobhead.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 01:44:23 PM »
'One day I will come back and manage the football club '- thanks for the offer but no thanks !
Its a decent write up but I'm not sure I'd agree that he's one of the greatest players in villa history , he was a class player for us but I've seen many better.

Since I've been going (roughly 94/95), Dwight Yorke has been by far the best player at the club that I have seen.

Surely your not including mcgrath there who was by far the best I've seen in 36 years of watching villa.

I'm of a similar era and I rate Yorke more highly based on what I saw. I was perhaps a bit too young to appreciate McGrath whereas Yorke was very noticable as the main man in our teams of 95-97, my favourite Villa era. I was devastated when he left, it really hurt. Couldn't bring myself to say his name for a few years. I'd like to think I was more mature now but not so sure.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 01:58:05 PM »
Mcgrath, Sid, Yorke, Platt - four of the best Villa players over the past 50 years and all signed by SGT for less than 1m quid

Offline eastie

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2013, 02:07:49 PM »
Mcgrath, Sid, Yorke, Platt - four of the best Villa players over the past 50 years and all signed by SGT for less than 1m quid

Indeed , he certainly got his money worth for those players for sure.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 02:14:22 PM »
Why did it take so long for Yorke to shine at the club? Being played out of position, off field shenanigans or a combination of both? Brilliant player for us, we just couldn't find the right partner for him maybe to win the league

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal