collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: We go again  (Read 17255 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: We go again
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 11:33:33 AM »
Great to meet Darren Woolley in the pub before the game yesterday, by the way

Chico: "How will I know you, Darren?"
Darren: "I'll be carrying a copy of John Harkes's autobiography".

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 11:33:45 AM »
PS only joshing, Daz.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 11:36:12 AM »
Probably a little too 'statty' granted, but just trying to basically say that we're moving slowly up the league despite yesterday's result, so something somewhere is going right.

That's a fair point. And we were saying yesterday that it's almost eaxctly 12 months since the 8 niller at Chelsea so things are obviously improving over last season. I suppose that just highlights how bad we were last season though and not how well we're doing this season. Sorry for the snotty response earlier.

Don't worry - I didn't read as being snotty at all!

Mid table mediocrity is nothing to shout from the roof tops about for a club like ours, even if it is an improvement from 12 months ago.  But, and here's where we may differ, I see it as a stepping stone to getting back to the business end of the table.  We can't go from the McLeish period and early part of Lambert's tenure back to where MON had us straight away and need to go though a more natural growth and progression.

If this is the height of what we can expect from the approach we have now then it is time for a rethink, but as long as we keep progressing then I happy to sit back and see where it takes us.     

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 11:36:18 AM »
I don't read too much into it, because, as others have said, he has to say something.

He does have a pretty limited range of press phrases, mind. Obviously, "we go again" is the best one, but also "We'll give it a right good go", "He's been brilliant for me" (when referring to any player who has done OK over a period of time), and he likes to roll out the word "unplayable" quite a lot, too.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 11:42:59 AM »
I'm used to it now to be honest, it dose'nt bother me in the slightest.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 11:47:23 AM »
I've also noticed he's a frequent offender when it comes to the spurious use of the word "football" before "club" - one of my pet hates.

For example, he'll say things like "he's been great for the football club", "we're just trying to improve the football club", "we'll try to bring players in to the football club" and so on. There is really no need for the word "football", we know you're not talking about a bingo club or a golf club.

He's far from the worst case, though, there are plenty of people in the game who are worse than him. I don't know why they do it, it's like some verbal tic they've picked up from watching other managers talk on MOTD.

Gets right on my tits. Almost to the extent of people who go into shops or cafes and when ordering, begin their sentence with "Can I get ....". Animals. Absolute animals.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 11:51:37 AM »
I've also noticed he's a frequent offender when it comes to the spurious use of the word "football" before "club" - one of my pet hates.

For example, he'll say things like "he's been great for the football club", "we're just trying to improve the football club", "we'll try to bring players in to the football club" and so on. There is really no need for the word "football", we know you're not talking about a bingo club or a golf club.

He's far from the worst case, though, there are plenty of people in the game who are worse than him. I don't know why they do it, it's like some verbal tic they've picked up from watching other managers talk on MOTD.

Gets right on my tits. Almost to the extent of people who go into shops or cafes and when ordering, begin their sentence with "Can I get ....". Animals. Absolute animals.

You do realise that admitting to this pet hate will more than likely result in many H&V posters now doing it just to annoy you, don't you?

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 11:54:56 AM »

You do realise that admitting to this pet hate will more than likely result in many H&V posters now doing it just to annoy you, don't you?

It doesn't work in an internet forum, it has to happen in front of me, either in person or on telly.

See, you lot, you're just text on a screen to me, with as much relevance as, say, the Argos web site, or Shafali Oza's twitter.

No offence. Noffence.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 11:57:34 AM »

It doesn't work in an internet forum, it has to happen in front of me, either in person or on telly.

See, you lot, you're just text on a screen to me, with as much relevance as, say, the Argos web site, or Shafali Oza's twitter.

No offence. Noffence.

Can we please get back on to what's best for the football club.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 12:01:17 PM »
We are a marginal team at the moment. Equally capable of winning or losing a match against any opposition. Yesterday was Fulham's day. The had the run of the ball or say the ref and we are not good enough to over come such events. So we go again!

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 12:01:32 PM »

No offence. Noffence.

Can we please get back on to what's best for the football club.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 12:02:17 PM »

No need to loose your rag because of bad habits picked up off of the telly.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 01:14:10 PM »
I can recall Benteke doing an interview last season with some of his mates. They were sat in a hotel room shooting the breeze when Benteke asks "what is a ******? My manager calls me a ******, what does it mean?".

Hazard was polite enough to suggest the c-bomb meant "idiot".

I think its fair to say that Lambert tells the players and the public two different things.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 01:26:49 PM »
What a load of rubbish yesterday was. 1 step forward, 2 steps back. That's how our season seems to be panning out.

If you plotted a graph of our league position so far this season, I think you'd see a steady upward curve, other than the large variances from the earliest parts of the season, so I'm not sure how that's '1 step forwards, 2steps back'?

Yep, two steps forward and one step back would be how I see it.  We're going to get results like this and just have to take it on the chin.  Just forget about it and move on.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2013, 01:38:09 PM »
Made me laugh on an otherwise depressing morning. Lambert's post match pearls of wisdom from yesterday - sorry if someone has already posted this:

"I don't think we got going if the truth be known. I can't fault the lads, their effort was there, we had a really tough game on Wednesday and you pick yourself up and go again. ..."

What a load of rubbish yesterday was. 1 step forward, 2 steps back. That's how our season seems to be panning out.

The 'we go again ' line he trotted out all last season made me laugh in the early days but it now has me pulling my hair out in frustration :(

What would you rather him say?

''I've been sacked because my team plays the most atrocious football since Wimbledon of the late 80's''

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal