collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lee Hendrie  (Read 9550 times)

Offline Leighton

• Location: Walsall Wood. Home of the protesting Jesus on a telegraph pole.
Re: Lee Hendrie
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2013, 10:29:32 PM »
He could make a banner saying "We're not fickle, we just can't live up to your unrealistic expectations"

At least it would be in an appropriate colour. 

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2013, 11:06:47 PM »
Lee is a good man who had far too many hangers on and made one poor decisions in life. Good luck to him at Basford.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2013, 05:48:42 PM »
A gobby little Billy Big Bollocks shit is how I remember him. Far too many times have I seen his antics when out in Brum to like him.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2013, 10:59:06 PM »
Hendrie had good periods of form and had a mad spell where he was scoring a wonder goal every other game for about 6 weeks, think that was 04-05. But then he'd get injured or go missing for while and cynically the good form seemed to occur whenever his contract was running down....still not the first player to do this.

He also suffered a bit as back then 4-4-2 was very much still in vogue....he regularly played central midfield but was too lightweight in a two and on other occasions would be on the left with licence to drift inside which probably better suited him although nowadays he'd probably shine as the number 10 type in a 4-2-3-1.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2013, 01:50:15 AM »
Good player for us not a great player

Quick someone get the H&V definitions of what constitutes good players and great players .... Lol

Could never really find the best position for him. But at his best had plenty of energy, could pick a pass and score goals.

The comparison with Barry is an apt on, Hendrie unfortunately never matured as a man.

Offline eastie

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2013, 08:27:16 AM »
Lee is a good man who had far too many hangers on and made one poor decisions in life. Good luck to him at Basford.

Agreed, everyone makes mistakes in life and he does quite a lot for charity these days - best wishes to him.

Offline supertom

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2013, 12:13:28 PM »

Agreed, everyone makes mistakes in life and he does quite a lot for charity these days - best wishes to him.
Yep. Bankruptcy is quite the grounder too. Hendrie seems a lot more level headed and mature these days. He probably has a sense of regret that he didn't do quite enough to get a couple more years here to play under O Neill.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2013, 01:18:30 PM »
When he signed Shaun Maloney MON described him as being "like a young Lee Hendrie". I don't think he was the best coach for either player. Those skillful but flighty types aren't really his bag.

Offline supertom

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2013, 02:14:06 PM »
When he signed Shaun Maloney MON described him as being "like a young Lee Hendrie". I don't think he was the best coach for either player. Those skillful but flighty types aren't really his bag.

Nope not really. I still wonder why on Earth he even signed Maloney. He never showed much faith in Shaun.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2013, 06:42:36 PM »
Maloney was a good squad player for us, popped off the bench to score a few vital goals in 07-08.

But as he admitted when he left, he wanted to go back to Celtic from pretty much the moment he signed so I'd imagine that was a factor.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2013, 07:19:09 PM »
A gobby little Billy Big Bollocks shit is how I remember him. Far too many times have I seen his antics when out in Brum to like him.

I think there is a lot of regret in his life now, but that doesn't change how he was when he "had it all" so to speak. You're right, there's a lot of gobby little wankers like him, just that Lee had the money to back it up then. Now it's all gone he's reflective and he's trying to do what is right which he can be commended for. But at the height of it all, with a very promising career ahead of him he decided other things were a little more important. He had a decent career, but not the one his natural abilities should have provided him.

Offline peter w

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2013, 10:22:39 PM »
All very well, but who's to say that he didn't fulfill his potential? Just because Barry pushed on it doesn't mean Hendrie would also. He had his moments but never really showed anything that suggested he would develop to be in a Man U of the time, team. He made the most of what he had and played as far his his ability would take him. That's why he's still playing in the lower leagues. He loves playing and that shone through when playing for us. If he was good enough to develop further his natural enthusiasm for playing the game would allow his talents to shine through. They didn't because he found his level. And he made the most of it.

Offline tim

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2013, 09:19:13 AM »
To say he "didn't reach his potential" or that "he wasted his talent" is pointless. No-one knows what would or wouldn't have happened to him after breaking through. He may have been overstretching himself to get where he did and then lost it under the pressure. No-one knows.

What we do know is that he played for Aston Villa in the Premier League. And he did so for a few years.
If anyone thinks that is a missed opportunity, they must be in a very privileged position themselves...

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2013, 09:29:13 AM »
Can anyone remember that away game at Boro, the 4-0 season ticket one? Lee and JPA were warming up in front of us and it seemed the whole first half, our 2 goals aside, was taken up with successively chanting their names. Lee in particular seemd to find it very amusing and was happily joining in the goal celebrations with us as well. Happy memories.

Online Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2013, 08:14:55 AM »
Time has clouded my memory but I recall being at VP and watching him nutmeg his uncle John Hendrie moments after kick off in what may have been one of his very early appearances for the club. Is this right or was I dreaming?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal