collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lee Hendrie  (Read 9590 times)

Offline willywombat

Re: Lee Hendrie
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 07:11:24 AM »
If I turned up at Villa Park for a stadium tour with a Villa legend and it was him, I'd want my money back.

Why exactly? (Serious question)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 08:29:10 AM »
If I turned up at Villa Park for a stadium tour with a Villa legend and it was him, I'd want my money back.

I'm sure Lee and everyone else in the party wouldn't lose any sleep.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 08:30:53 AM »
I would expect him to start singing Chicago's If You Leave Me Now.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 10:02:53 AM »
He could make a banner saying "We're not fickle, we just can't live up to your unrealistic expectations"

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 11:30:26 AM »
How exactly did he waste his natural talent? He played over 250 games in the top flight and was capped by his country. If he'd have played 400 games, scoring 100 goals and capped 50 times for England it still wouldn't have been enough for some people.

He had a decent career no doubt but I always say him and Barry came through at the same time, at 32 Hendrie was playing league 2 or whatever and shortly would be in non league, at 32 Barry is playing week in week out in the premier league and recently was still playing for England and in the champions league.

You can say Barry was the more talented player but in reality not so much there should be such a wide gulf between which divisions they're playing in in their 30s.

Pretty sure Barry had an issue or two with drink early in his career here but he wised up so one of the reasons for his longevity.

Offline peter w

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 12:29:25 PM »
And Hendrie could be like Brian Little in that when leaving Villa it was never quite the same playing wise even though the love of being at Villa had gone but not the enthusiasm. Obviously this is taking abour Sir Brian's managerial career.

Offline supertom

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 12:51:34 PM »
How exactly did he waste his natural talent? He played over 250 games in the top flight and was capped by his country. If he'd have played 400 games, scoring 100 goals and capped 50 times for England it still wouldn't have been enough for some people.

He had a decent career no doubt but I always say him and Barry came through at the same time, at 32 Hendrie was playing league 2 or whatever and shortly would be in non league, at 32 Barry is playing week in week out in the premier league and recently was still playing for England and in the champions league.

You can say Barry was the more talented player but in reality not so much there should be such a wide gulf between which divisions they're playing in in their 30s.

Pretty sure Barry had an issue or two with drink early in his career here but he wised up so one of the reasons for his longevity.
Hendrie was frustrating at times because you always knew he could do more. He's a better player than most of what Hodgson has at his disposal in midfield nowadays (in terms of the younger ones). He wasn't always helped by appearing in some dour sides who'd lump it long quite often, or he'd be expected to fill in on the right side of midfield and get down the line to provide crosses, which wasn't his game.

That said there's not a midfielder at our club currently who'll come close to having the career for us that Hendrie did, even if we think he wasn't all he could. He played well over 200 games and chipped in with a fair few goals and offered a lot of memorable moments. I don't even think Delphy will come close to replicating that. Henders has done enough to be remembered but not enough to be considered close to a legend. The potential however, was there.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 12:53:02 PM »

Didn't he get done for drink driving?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 01:00:48 PM »

Before he was old enough to drink legally.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 01:27:24 PM »
LEE LEE LEE

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 03:53:39 PM »
He was often the star of an England U-21 midfield containing future Golden Generation  member Frank Lampard. Gerrard mentions in his autobiog how good Hendrie was in the few times their paths crossed at international level. 

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 08:51:03 PM »

Before he was old enough to drink legally.

Only a few days after he'd passed his test. I remember reading the story on the back page of the News of the World. Although they didn't name him, it was flaming obvious who it was.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 09:08:56 PM »
He should knock it all on the head now.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 09:09:40 PM »
Yep but Barry wised up. I'm sure they'll still be tales of Hendrie from just a few years ago telling people how much money he earnt in nightclubs flaring up...

Offline Leighton

• Location: Walsall Wood. Home of the protesting Jesus on a telegraph pole.
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, 10:28:25 PM »

Why exactly? (Serious question)

Because he's not a Villa legend and I couldn't stand him as a player. Petulant little shit. Don't like him and never will. To call him a legend annoys the heck out of me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal