collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unsung Heroes  (Read 7682 times)

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
Unsung Heroes
« on: December 06, 2013, 01:46:40 AM »
In which we celebrate players who for whatever reason are not getting the love they deserve. Why they haven't and why they should.

My first candidate is Karim El Ahmadi.

Why has he not received love from the Villa faithful?
He started off well in preseason after he was signed but quickly tailed off and ended up having a pretty poor first season for Villa. This is not unusual as players adjust to the league but KEA was rightfully criticized for his poor energy and lack of going forward.

Why does he deserve some?
2 very important league goals and assists plus a much improved general play. Whether by direction or just hard work he is now getting forward much more and slips into the box regularly. His engine now seems to last the full 90 when needed and his energy level has gone from below average to good.

Forgotten man no more, I give you Karim el Ahmadi. Unsung Villa hero*

*love restrictions apply, rights are reserved to remove love upon crap performances , lack of kissing the badge or having weird alien ears after putting in a transfer request.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
Re: Unsung Heroes
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 02:41:32 AM »
I agree he has improved significantly this season.  Not ready to put him the 'hero' category yet, though.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 04:06:31 AM »
He's had a solid if unspectacular second season. Very workmanlike, nothing flash other than his apparent sense of style. Lovely cross for Kozak's goal and a crucial goal against Albion. So far so good.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 05:16:56 AM »
He's had a solid if unspectacular second season. Very workmanlike, nothing flash other than his apparent sense of style. Lovely cross for Kozak's goal and a crucial goal against Albion. So far so good.

Don't forget his goal against Man. City mate.

Online FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 07:48:46 AM »
In which we celebrate players who for whatever reason are not getting the love they deserve. Why they haven't and why they should.

My first candidate is Karim El Ahmadi.

Why has he not received love from the Villa faithful?
He started off well in preseason after he was signed but quickly tailed off and ended up having a pretty poor first season for Villa. This is not unusual as players adjust to the league but KEA was rightfully criticized for his poor energy and lack of going forward.

Why does he deserve some?
2 very important league goals and assists plus a much improved general play. Whether by direction or just hard work he is now getting forward much more and slips into the box regularly. His engine now seems to last the full 90 when needed and his energy level has gone from below average to good.

Forgotten man no more, I give you Karim el Ahmadi. Unsung Villa hero*

*love restrictions apply, rights are reserved to remove love upon crap performances , lack of kissing the badge or having weird alien ears after putting in a transfer request.

Where did you dig that picture up from.Is he in the new Anchorman movie !

Offline Damo70

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 08:06:26 AM »
Is that jacket given to the player who's team mates have voted the worst in training that week?

Offline supertom

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 09:26:55 AM »
I'm willing to completely change my opinion on him purely based on that jacket. The mans top quality.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 09:32:14 AM »
I think him and Westwood are a poor mix and that, by and large, he is a bit of a passenger.

That said, he has made two very telling contributions in the past two away games.

Offline E I Adio

• GM : 09.10.2020
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 10:24:59 AM »
Is that jacket given to the player who's team mates have voted the worst in training that week?

He nicked it out of my 1970's wardrobe. You can't see it in the in the pic, but he's wearing a pair of my flares as well.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 10:33:47 AM »
I know it's a slow news day gentlemen with only some bloke I've never heard of dying in South Africa but...

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 10:44:36 AM »
I like the suit - too jazzy?....

Offline Ketzster

• GM : 06.12.2020
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 11:40:49 AM »
Like most of the games this season, the game passed KEA by at Southampton. He got very lucky with the cross for the goal as he had lost the ball before somehow it ended back up at him. I was screaming at him telling him how dreadful he is at that point and the next thing I see is him lining up the cross. In my opinion he simply isn't up to it. He just stands still for most of the game

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 11:46:55 AM »
Don't doubt his honesty but unsung for a reason

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 11:52:43 AM »
I'm willing to completely change my opinion on him purely based on that jacket. The mans top quality.

You are Fernando Nelson and I claim my £5!

Offline supertom

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 12:14:01 PM »
KEA I think has the potential to be a 5-10 goalscoring midfielder. The trouble is, as said, he's often a passenger in games. When he gets into certain areas though he shows good movement, awareness and that he can put a chance away. I just think because of his lack of pace he really needs to be playing a little more advanced of the other two more often. Occasionally he's doing the same thing as Westwood and they cancel each other out, and having two players so slow can often hamper our midfield.

We need to see KEA produce more often in games. He's got to be making the telling passes and getting the odd goal here and there. For want of a better option, he could be the number 10 we've been looking for (until Jan).

I like the guy. He works hard. He's got a good attiude, as most of our squad do. But I don't think he's quite good enough at this level long term. I don't see him being a fixture in our side beyond this season in truth. He's getting on a bit (at least in current AVFC terms) and I think Lambo will probably recruit a younger mid with more potential.

As for my unsung hero- Clark. I think he's been excellent this season. He's been on the ball, sharp, and has become reliable. That said, I do worry about him without Vlaar by his side. Concrete has led the back line very well and because he's now settled it's allowed Clark to flourish next to a commanding, experienced partner. Can Clark step up and lead the line? I'm not sure. Worrying about what Baker and the full backs are doing all the time might affect how focused he's been on his own game.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal