collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Season Review - Progress  (Read 4965 times)

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Season Review - Progress
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 05:47:27 PM »
After last night, I'm beginning to think that Lambert's approach may have changed somewhat. Last season we played more attractive passing football in the centre of the park and it was our woeful defending that did for us. The defence has improved, I think Vlaar's performances this year have been a big difference, hopefully he's not out for too long.

For large parts of last night our football was abysmal, (pass completion was below 50% I believe?) but three classic breakaway goals and we get a very good 3 points. The team spirit that LAmbert has created is obviously excellent, Delph last night said they are like "brothers" and I think this is visible that they really do keep going. That has really been evident this season. We are progressing, slowly.

Agree with this. Vlaar is a different player from last season and from what we've seen, Joes Okore looked to be a great signing that would have seen us with a more solid central pairing. Questions still need to be asked about the full backs, it's so disappointing that Lowton couldn't carry through his form from last season. Hopefully it will come. On the left we still look weak which is not helped by Lambert playing us very narrow which enables teams to run at us from the flanks.

The midfield haven't come close to the level of performance we saw from February onwards last season.
Delph is growing as an important player and at times is a joy to watch.
Westwood is still learning but overall does his job though still not up to the level of last season. He really needs to show more mobility and make himself available to receive a pass, too often he puts himself in a dead zone, limiting the options for the player with the ball.
KEA and Sylla haven't shown enough to warrant an automatic first team place.
KEA shows glimpses of the player he was in Holland but overall I'm not convinced. The number of short passes he makes that immediately put one of our players under pressure is criminal. Often it's not him that gives the ball away but he's often the cause of it.
Sylla never started the season and has struggled to find any rhythm to his game. I'm still not convinced he's playing in his best position, often as our most advanced midfielder when we bought him as a defensive midfielder. Love his workrate but again the rest is no where near his level of last season.

Gabby showed last night what he's capable of achieving. Complete and utter belief in his ability when there was an easier option. He's struggled with injury this season but still remains an essential part of our team. Due to the lack of anything constructive from our midfield, Gabby is often seen dropping deeper and cutting inside. Whilst understandable, it does mean we lose a lot of shape and attacking threat.

It's not helped that on the other side, Andi Weimann despite his workrate looks nothing like the same player as last season. He appears to look very heavy and rarely a threat on goal. Right now he does very little for defenders to worry about and is easily taken care of. He really needs to get himself more in the box when the ball is coming in from the left. Stuck out on the wing he generally only manages to pass the ball back to Bacuna.

Benteke like Gabby has had his fair share of injuries but it's the lack of service and support that has made him look nothing like the player from last season. Too often he's isolated which allows teams to double up on him. It must be extremely frustrating, especially when we revert to hoofing it up to him. Saying that, there's no excuse for a poor attitude but then only way to solve that is to get him more involved in games.. and more importantly, get him scoring. Right now, judging by his reaction to our goal celebrations, I'm not convinced his heart is in it. I don't believe for one milisecond he's a one season wonder but the team need to give him better service and he needs to show more desire. I think it will come and he'll be back to the player we all know and love.

As for the rest..

Clark has shown some improvement but still needs to learn how to be a dominating defender, I'm just not sure he has the physical strength.
Baker is still only 22 and still leaning his trade. Ideally he'd be doing it out on loan but can't fault his effort and commitment.

Luna, after gaining overnight worship, mainly because of the Tony Moon tag, started the season well but looks anything but solid in defence. Another to suffer from Lambert's narrow formation. Not sure he'll be the player we all want him to be but needs more time to adapt. Despite his aging features it's worth remembering he's also only 22.

Bacuna blows hot and cold. Great free kicks, a couple of MOTM performances and a few shockers. Jury is still out.

Tonev reminds me of the young Tony Morley when we signed him from Burnley; great with the ball at his feet but no end product. Right now coming off the bench should be his only option.

Kozak really has been thrown in the deep end and is just about treading water. He's adapting as best he can given the poor service but thankfully he has some experience which will help him, though not as much as the goals. He never had a decent run at Lazio so he's not going to be full of confidence but I do see him playing his part this season.

Lambert. I'm really not sure where to start. Is he another MON, tactically naive that will take results and build nothing, another disciple of Charles Hughes or is he just dealing with an ongoing injury crisis that doesn't allow him to set up his team and get them playing the way he wants? Right now I'm guessing it's a combination of the two. His biggest challenge once we're safe is to get us performing at Villa Park. Fail to do that and I don't think there will be many renewing their season tickets, nevermind the walk ups turning up. Like so many of our youngsters he's still learning his trade but there's a very thin line between success and failure and Lambert right now can thank his luck he's walking on the right side.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 08:04:22 PM »
Very much a season of transition.  The quality of football seems to have dropped but we are harder to beat and conceding less goals.

What is noticeable, the players on the fringes now cost a lot less than previous regimes and will be on much less a week in terms of wages.  They shouldn't therefore stop us continually investing - Lambert's policy of signing younger and unknown players relatively cheaply should be more sustainable.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 08:31:53 PM »
On the whole I'm very pleased with the gradual but tangible progress that has been made in the last 18 months. I like Lambert. I like his quiet steely resolve. I also like the 'project' as it feels very much like something is being built almost from scratch, and is taking shape before our eyes.

That said, there are some things I just can't fathom. Yes, we have become more difficult to beat, but we have seemingly lost some of the rampaging force that we had towards the end of last season as well. I wonder if it is just that the other teams know what to expect from us now, and they might have worked out how to play against Benteke?

We now have these two big strong centre forwards, and yet there is seemingly no-one tasked with crossing balls into the box. When KEA got that cross in last night Kozak duly dispatched it. I can't help thinking that both he and Benteke could be prolific if someone was crossing balls in the whole game. This was obviously the only way MON knew to set up a team, and so I'm happy to have a bit more variety in terms of how we play. But how do we play? It seems to be quite haphazard to me. There doesn't seem to be a plan, just a lot of commitment to the cause.

Anyway, that commitment to the cause is currently seeing us make progress and build up some self confidence, which can only be good.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 09:49:51 PM »
Good thread this one. I agree with many of the posts on here

I've come to the fairly simple conclusion that we need more creative midfielders / wide forwards. Someone who can get the ball down and create. Without that sort of player I don't think we'll get that attractive.

But I think we can return to something close to the form at the back end of last season. But we need:

- a settled shape. That must help surely - knowing where your team mates are likely to be
- get Lowton back in the side
- gabby linking up with benteke
- possibly Tonev coming into things
- Westwood to learn to assert himself more. I'm not entirely sure he's got the physique that will enable this though

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 09:57:09 PM »

I've come to the fairly simple conclusion that we need more creative midfielders / wide forwards. Someone who can get the ball down and create. Without that sort of player I don't think we'll get that attractive.

But I think we can return to something close to the form at the back end of last season. But we need:

- a settled shape. That must help surely - knowing where your team mates are likely to be
- possibly Tonev coming into things
- Westwood to learn to assert himself more. I'm not entirely sure he's got the physique that will enable this though

And don't write Kozak off ;-)

Offline Chicago_Villa

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 09:22:06 PM »
If you replace Wigan with Cardiff, Reading with Hull and QPR with Palace (given their relative finishing positions in last years Premiership/Championship, over the same 15 games that we have played this season, last season we would have picked up 10 points by now. This would leave us firmly rooted in 19th place and 3 points behind West Ham in 17th. I call that solid progress, even if the style of the performances have not been pretty in many cases.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 09:29:42 PM »

- possibly Tonev coming into things- Westwood to learn to assert himself more. I'm not entirely sure he's got the physique that will enable this though
Tonev, coming into things? I am guseeing you mean his shorts as soon as he sees the goal just before lashing his shot 30yards off target. The bloke should be nowhere near this league.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal