collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Season Review - Progress  (Read 4964 times)

Offline Loxton01

Season Review - Progress
« on: December 05, 2013, 09:53:55 AM »
So we are 14 games in and have 19 points. Having played all of the current top 8 within those 14 games the start we have had is impressive.

In comparable games this time last season against these top eight clubs we would have 0 points [I think]. This is compared to nine this season.

With the players we have brought in and the appeared budget now operated at the club the current position of the 10th is extremely encouraging.

We have 5 clean sheets in 14 games the same as the whole of last season.

For many the style and performance level this season has been disappointing particularly at home however we need to get a reality check that we do not have a define right to beat any teams in this league. We have a squad in my opinion comparable to the likes of WBA, Sunderland, Fulham, Stoke and West Ham and we are out performing all of them currently.

Many at the start of the season said a 10-12th position this season would be real progress and if we achieve this that would be huge progress. One of the huge criticisms last season was how easily it was to score against us..... that has improved although I admit there is much work still to be done.

Last season I would argue we had three players who were proven top 10 premiership quality in Gabby [on his day], Guzan and Benteke. This season I would add Delph and Vlaar to this category. This gives us a spine to work from.

What needs to become clear after we rid ourselves of Bent, Given, NZog and Ireland which Im sure we are still paying most of there wages is will Lambo be able to go out and spend 20-30m and bring in 3-4 players of proven 1st Team quality. If so we can then 'go' again.

I also think come next summer Lambo needs to take a long look at the Likes of Albrighton, Bowery, Herd, Bennett et al if he doesnt rate them he needs to rid of them as they are gathering cobwebs and taking up wages.

Lambo had a real job when he came in to strip everything right back in this greed league instant success is all that matters, however I do feel inch by inch we are getting there. I can see it taking a long time with a fair bit of pain and ups and downs along the way but PROGRESS is being made

Offline levico

Re: Season Review - Progress
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 10:56:50 AM »
Cant disagree with anything there. Certainly if we end up around the same position then it definitely will be progress. Any idea where we were after 14 games last season?

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 11:03:47 AM »
Yes it is progress, the results prove that. We have to hope that Lambert addresses the areas where we have problems that is mainly the two full back posistions then we will make further progress.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 11:09:30 AM »
Cant disagree with anything there. Certainly if we end up around the same position then it definitely will be progress. Any idea where we were after 14 games last season?

We were 17th with 13 points!

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 11:18:23 AM »

17th

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 12:25:22 PM »
We may have progressed from last year but it's bloody frustrating.

Offline Miguelito

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 12:26:12 PM »
Yes it is progress, the results prove that. We have to hope that Lambert addresses the areas where we have problems that is mainly the two full back posistions then we will make further progress.

I doubt that too be honest, i think Luna & Bacuna/Lowton are the kind of full backs he likes. Surely it's that creative midfielder that's the target in January and possibly a centre half, maybe on loan, depending on Vlaar's injury.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 12:54:42 PM »
The defence being more solid and points tally is a big bonus. However we do need to start retaining possession and creating a lot more if we're going to progress. At the moment if we can't counter attack, we struggle to create anything of note. We need to start working possession through the midfield and creating chances through the middle. We also desperately need Vlaar to be fit as he's been pivotal to the improved defence.

Offline Richie

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 01:30:38 PM »
Just looking at last seasons stats, it was the New Years Day draw at Swansea that got us to 19 points.

That's 7 more games than it took this season.

Plus January was a shocking month (as I'm sure we all still have nightmares about).

After the 3-3 at Everton, we had played 25 games and only had 21 points.

It's certainly not been pretty to watch this season, particularly for those of us who only tend to go to home matches, but you can't argue with the facts.

We are definitely moving in the right direction.

Offline bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 01:50:14 PM »
After last night, I'm beginning to think that Lambert's approach may have changed somewhat. Last season we played more attractive passing football in the centre of the park and it was our woeful defending that did for us. The defence has improved, I think Vlaar's performances this year have been a big difference, hopefully he's not out for too long.

For large parts of last night our football was abysmal, (pass completion was below 50% I believe?) but three classic breakaway goals and we get a very good 3 points. The team spirit that LAmbert has created is obviously excellent, Delph last night said they are like "brothers" and I think this is visible that they really do keep going. That has really been evident this season. We are progressing, slowly.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 02:04:53 PM »
Just looking at last seasons stats, it was the New Years Day draw at Swansea that got us to 19 points.

That's 7 more games than it took this season.

Plus January was a shocking month (as I'm sure we all still have nightmares about).

After the 3-3 at Everton, we had played 25 games and only had 21 points.

It's certainly not been pretty to watch this season, particularly for those of us who only tend to go to home matches, but you can't argue with the facts.

We are definitely moving in the right direction.

I posted the stats of 14 games vs 14 games last season on the transition thread last night, but as uncomfortable as the football as been, 5 more scored and I think 6 less conceded in those games, 6 more points and having played the sides we have, the progress is stark. I think the last 3 months of the season, played in a cavalier swashbuckling was, clouded the memories of how poor we were at times in the first half of the season. We have now found bottle and heart, and know that the skill is there in many of them that we are not seeing it in at the moment. Individual form is temporary, and we will play better football when our better players play themselves back into form and Lambert finds a couple of attacking midfielder to help us keep hold of the ball better.

If we win (and I don't think we will) against Fulham it will have taken us 15 games to top what it took us 25 to do last season. Not bad really.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 03:05:13 PM »
I am very happy with the progress. I would just like to win a few more home games as my two juniors attend every home game and so far they have not had much to shout about other than Mancity and Cardiff wins. I was disappointed with our meek exit in the League cup so the priority for the next 10 games is 15 points and 2  FA cup wins.

Offline eastie

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 03:39:09 PM »
I am very happy with the progress. I would just like to win a few more home games as my two juniors attend every home game and so far they have not had much to shout about other than Mancity and Cardiff wins. I was disappointed with our meek exit in the League cup so the priority for the next 10 games is 15 points and 2  FA cup wins.

I like your thinking , you are a cool cat affers and have set an achievable target .

Offline supertom

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 03:49:45 PM »

I like your thinking , you are a cool cat affers and have set an achievable target .
Yep that would be realistic I think. We'd be well on our way to a solid haul of around 45-55 points, which would put us somewhere between 8th and 12th depending how well we've done. That would be good progress. A good cup run would be good, and as long as it doesn't have an adverse effect on our league form, it will be great. The pleasing thing is that Kozak, effectively our second choice main striker, looks like he's got goals in him. If Benteke were to be back in form for example, I'd happily call upon Kozak in cup games for example. Likewise, who knows a good draw against a lower league club could be ample time to introduce Helenius and get a bit of confidence for him.

Importantly we have options now and we aren't short of players who are willing to work very hard when given the chance.

Offline eastie

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 04:18:34 PM »
Interesting piece -
Quote from: the mirror
By James Nursey | 05/12/13 

A stunning 3-2 away win at Southampton means Aston Villa fans and neutrals are starting to wake up to Paul Lambert's quiet revolution.

I wrote last week how I have been impressed with Villa's steady - if unspectacular - progress under the Scot despite not spending big.

He has assembled a competitive, promising side on the cheap with a good future ahead of them collectively and individually.

But it is only when you get an impressive win that the majority of people probably start to acknowledge Villa's progress.

Victory on the South Coast does not mean Villa are now going to definitely qualify for Europe after five games unbeaten.

But they have clearly improved significantly from last season's relegation battle and various embarrassing thumpings.

They currently stand 10th and have 19 points from 14 games which is a decent haul given they came 15th last term with 41.

I am enjoying watching the likes of Ashley Westwood, Fabian Delph, Leandro Bacuna, Karim El Ahmadi, Ron Vlaar and Co improve from week to week.

Their steps - or strides in the case of Brad Guzan and Christian Benteke last season - gives Villa genuine hope for the future.

The players deserve respect for their efforts but Lambert is the key to encouraging them to flourish.

Lambert recently gave a rare glimpse behind the mask as to what really makes him tick.

The usually deadpan manager usually tries to give as little away as possible in his dry press conferences on camera.

He certainly never reveals his methods.

He even went to watch a club train abroad recently in the international break but refused to name who it was despite being repeatedly asked!

Yet last week he was talking up Westwood to the press (probably to deliberately boost the midfielder's belief and confidence) and in a lengthy discussion he casually mentioned: "I get great enjoyment seeing players each do well for themselves, not just Westy.

"I get great enjoyment seeing the lads make a name for themselves and trying to achieve something."

It occurred to me this is surely the principle of Lambert's management.

Because by putting the emphasis on individuals to better themselves and improve, the net result is the whole team therefore improves too.

That is what we saw at Norwich where he guided the Canaries from League One into the Premier League - and kept them there.

As a result dedicated pros like Russell Martin are now well-paid top-flight players and internationals, who otherwise might have been languishing in the lower leagues had they not got a break.

It also helps explain why Lambert takes players whether from abroad or lower down the leagues and gives them a platform to better themselves.

The consequence is then usually a win/win scenario with the player improving, earning more, playing high up the leagues and Lambert's side improving too.

I believe that is what we are witnessing at Villa this season where Lambert's collection of "humble" players - a quality he likes to emphasise - are continuing to grow.

Their resulting loyalty and hunger also means they have a strong stomach for a fight as underlined recently at the likes of West Brom and Saints.

I am not getting carried away as creditable top-flight finish of somewhere between eighth and 12th remains what is realistic and what I always expected this term.

There is still work to be done of course to rectify the home form.

And Benteke has gone off the boil but I am sure he will come good again for Villa and in the meantime other players are starting to make a name for themselves too as Lambert helps progress their careers and in turn the club - on a much cheaper, sustainable financial model.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal