collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Should you support Villa or somebody else?  (Read 10845 times)

Offline supertom

Re: Should you support Villa or somebody else?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 07:38:39 AM »
I could have supported one of the other clubs who've been around since the dawn of football, Marlow. Or Wycombe, but even they were non-league when I first got into footy.
Could have been a Liverpool fan as my dad was, but he wasn't a big football fan and never really has been. I also seemed to take a bit of a dislike to Liverpool from early on because a mate of mine (who got me into Villa) hate them.

Before I was about 10 I wasn't hugely interested in football. I suppose because I didn't live and breathe footy like a lot of kids, I didn't get to local matches. Then I found myself becoming more and more interested. I liked the Villa, purely because I liked the kit and the name and my mate supported them. Then I started collecting Pro Cards. I remember liking Wolves too because of their gold kit, and the Wolf badge. So had I not succumbed to peer pressure from my best mate (at the time) I could easily have been a Wolves fan.

As it was I decided to join the Villa ranks around 90. I figured they were 2nd, they must be good. By 93 I was well and truly hooked and my interest in Footy had grown substantially. Ironically my mate who was football obsessed when he was younger seemed to lose interest throughout his teens and onward.

Offline Steve kirk

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013, 07:51:18 AM »
Born in Acocks green but moved to Coventry when I was 3 and lived there till my early thirties, never a chance of being a Sky Blues fan (thank god) on regular visits to Brum to see my relatives my Grandad would tell me tales of Villa's greatness and that was it, I was hooked, never ever felt like a Coventry kid, I was always a brummie, when I returned to Brum many years ago it felt like coming home.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2013, 07:58:33 AM »
Dads side of the family from Erdington, Moms side from Witton. I am not aware of any part of the family ever following anybody else.

Offline eastie

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2013, 08:07:19 AM »
Born in nuneaton and as a kid there used to be loads of coaches going to the villa - still a big villa following in the town , we moved to coventry in the 70s and there are quite a few villa fans there too.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2013, 08:27:52 AM »
In order of approximate distance:

MK Dons (thakfully they didn't exist) - 15 miles
Northampton Town - 21 miles
Oxford United - 24 miles
Coventry - 41 miles
Reading - 49 miles
Leicester - 53 miles
Villa/Blues - 59 miles
Watford - 66 miles
Chelsea - 70 miles
Arsenal - 73 miles

I got a bit carried away there.  Basically I could take my pick, I chose wisely.
http://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between.htm

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2013, 09:11:41 AM »
Born at the old Sorrento hospital.

Me too! Do you tell people you were born in Sorrento?

Then lived in Hall Green. Father was from Stourbridge and took me there for cleansing in the early 60's and I recovered equilibrium to start supporting Villa in 1971.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2013, 09:18:48 AM »
Born and brought up in Stripeyfilth territory, I should be one of them but my dad was born and raised in Handsworth and brought us all up Villa fans for which i'll be eternally grateful.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2013, 09:22:35 AM »
Place of birth: Birmingham City

Grew up: Coventry City

Online waynejames

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2013, 09:29:51 AM »
Place of birth: Birmingham City

Grew up: Coventry City

phewwww!
you turned the right way!

Offline bobdylan

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2013, 09:47:50 AM »
Likewise for me Villa were the 3rd closest after Cov and Blues, the other 2 don't bear thinking about.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2013, 10:04:54 AM »
Born and raised in Cambridge, Mom and Dad moved down from Brum in 1962, Dad born in Small Heath and Mom I think in Erdington.....Mom's side all Blosers and Dad's side (which is a big family) always have been Villa.

I should be a Cambridge Utd supporter as I was born and lived about a quarter of a mile away and I do follow them abit, but always wanted a season ticket at the Villa just like my Great Grandad and Grandad and have had one for 15 years now after I stopped playing local football myself.

UTV
The Doc

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2013, 10:09:16 AM »
Yep, I should support the Villa.  4.6 miles away from me.  Nearest next football club is the Bescot Stadium, Walsall (4.9)

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2013, 10:15:09 AM »
Born in good Hope Sutton, raised in Walmley. Dad from Hockley and Mom's family from Erdington and then the Vale. There was never another option.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2013, 10:26:44 AM »
I was actually born in Portsmouth. My excuse, however, for not following them apart from the fact they are shit and their ground is the pits, is that my dad was down from Birmingham doing his National Service as a Flight Lieutenant in the RAF on Thorney Island in 1961 when I came along. We returned to Birmingham shortly afterwards so I think that qualifies me ok as a natural Villa fan! Particularly as it has run in my dad's side of the family for 2 or 3 generations. It's funny to think I have come full circle and am now back down in the same area

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2013, 10:35:41 AM »
Born in South Bham and lived in Kings Heath and Kings Norton most my life about from 3 years up in Leeds.

Didn't ever consider SHA, if you are born in Bham and consider yourself a football fan, there's only one team.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal