collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Smoke bombs & flares  (Read 14460 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Smoke bombs & flares
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2013, 06:59:46 PM »
People should think about the Bradford fire before wasting their time trying to justify bringing these things into football grounds.

How many stands these days are made of wood with decades of rubbish accumulated undreneath?

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2013, 07:02:57 PM »
The smoke-flare at the Baggies was thrown over my head and landed two rows in front. It was a very unpleasant experience. We'll done to the steward who dealt with it promptly.

I'd be in favour of bans for anyone found carrying such things into a ground.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2013, 09:53:15 PM »
People should think about the Bradford fire before wasting their time trying to justify bringing these things into football grounds.

How many stands these days are made of wood with decades of rubbish accumulated undreneath?

Not many but Bradford City were hardly a club in the limelight at the time. A tragedy, similarly caused, took place at Kings Cross Underground Station. Because we are nearly always at grounds with new stands, we may forget old stands still exist but they do. The Fire Service would not differentiate between new and old anyway. The dangers have been explained regarding smoke inhalation and it does not need an inferno to cause that.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2013, 09:58:05 PM »

Not many but Bradford City were hardly a club in the limelight at the time. A tragedy, similarly caused, took place at Kings Cross Underground Station. Because we are nearly always at grounds with new stands, we may forget old stands still exist but they do. The Fire Service would not differentiate between new and old anyway. The dangers have been explained regarding smoke inhalation and it does not need an inferno to cause that.

I hate incendiaries, good post DC5

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2013, 10:13:16 AM »
West Midlands Police have given West Bromwich Albion supporters special dispensation to use yacht flares at their home games. A spokesman said that they should only be used when people are in distress, they've hit the rocks and are in danger of going down and sinking without a trace.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2013, 10:57:10 AM »
West Midlands Police have given West Bromwich Albion supporters special dispensation to use yacht flares at their home games. A spokesman said that they should only be used when people are in distress, they've hit the rocks and are in danger of going down and sinking without a trace.
Brilliant.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2013, 01:18:44 PM »
A smoke bomb isn’t actually alight though is it? Isn’t it just expending the gas contained within the canister?

I don’t think comparisons with the Bradford fire are relevant, as I recall hearing that parts of the Telegraph and Argus newspaper from 1968 had been found after and I cannot think of a similar ground in the top flight beyond Everton where there is anything remotely combustible.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2013, 01:34:42 PM »
Brilliant.

may I steal this please ? cheers Mrs Slag

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2013, 01:55:27 PM »
A smoke bomb isn’t actually alight though is it? Isn’t it just expending the gas contained within the canister?

I don’t think comparisons with the Bradford fire are relevant, as I recall hearing that parts of the Telegraph and Argus newspaper from 1968 had been found after and I cannot think of a similar ground in the top flight beyond Everton where there is anything remotely combustible.

Thank fuck scousers don't wear shell suits anymore.

Offline freethinker

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2013, 02:08:59 PM »

The stand I was in at Craven Cottage yesterday (the one to your right as you look at the pitch from the away end) has wooden staircases, floorboards and seats. It felt a bit like the old Trinity Road stand, albeit on a less grand scale.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2013, 11:01:09 AM »

Coming from a safety critical environment as I do, you try to close down opportunities for anything unsafe to happen. In the case of smoke bombs and flares, no consideration would be given to differentiate between smoke bombs and flares. They both have the ability to cause harm.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2013, 11:20:58 AM »
he stand I was in at Craven Cottage yesterday (the one to your right as you look at the pitch from the away end) has wooden staircases, floorboards and seats. It felt a bit like the old Trinity Road stand, albeit on a less grand scale

It's no coincidence

Offline J

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2013, 11:43:12 AM »

Coming from a safety critical environment as I do, you try to close down opportunities for anything unsafe to happen. In the case of smoke bombs and flares, no consideration would be given to differentiate between smoke bombs and flares. They both have the ability to cause harm.

Many activities have the ability to cause harm but are tolerated, surely you have to measure the extent of the risk? Playing contact sport carries a higher degree of risk than non toxic smoke being expelled from a canister.

Offline Dave Clark Five

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2013, 12:09:15 PM »

Many activities have the ability to cause harm but are tolerated, surely you have to measure the extent of the risk? Playing contact sport carries a higher degree of risk than non toxic smoke being expelled from a canister.
Why should the Police spend time determining if it is a smoke bomb or a flare? Besides, the smoke can be harmful and has been proved to be as such.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2013, 12:10:44 PM »

You choose to play sport.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal