collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Smoke bombs & flares  (Read 14459 times)

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
Re: Smoke bombs & flares
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 10:49:55 PM »
A bog roll properly thrown down a terrace or unrolled from the window of a Football Special was a great sight, particularly if you were the person who let it go.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 10:53:35 PM »
Not denying that the good old bog roll days were fun, they were, but i do like the flares, especially after dark.

Offline bones.

• GM : 28.01.2020
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2013, 06:33:18 AM »
Bog rolls in the dark are rubbish !

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2013, 07:43:30 AM »
I like them, then again from my seat I can enjoy the spectacle without fear of third degree burns.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2013, 08:36:28 AM »
Our grounds are much safer than a lot of other countries grounds, particularly those in South America which are bloody dangerous.
A lot of the banners that are unraveled or hung around stadia in other countries are also carrying political slogans. Some areas of grounds are pretty much no go zones for police and become totally lawless, hence the flares and smoke bombs. Not really a family atmosphere in those areas. A good atmosphere but not a safe one.
I wouldn't be to comfortable for an area inside any ground at home to become totally lawless. Banners and flags, like the Brigada have really bring a better atmosphere to games and should be encouraged as should Amfy's safe standing trial. Then we would have a fantastic atmosphere back in our grounds.
Flares would be good but only if done by Pyrotechnic experts in safe areas around the pitch. Don't want to see any injuries to supporters because some idiot has thrown a flare into a crowded stand.

Offline villajk

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2013, 10:05:51 AM »
Can we not forget that flares/smoke bombs can cause lung problems if inhaled.  Any 'safe' area is not necessarily going to prevent inhalation.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2013, 10:53:36 AM »
I know we are only talking Manchester and not Milan but will there be an amnesty for supporters turning up at the game with scooters?

[/youtube]

Offline bruisedshins

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2013, 12:56:05 PM »
Pyro has recently been legalised in Norway following prolonged discussions between fan groups and clubs, contrast that witht he UK where police are receiving money to hand out extended banning orders.

Fans must apply to the club to let off flares, smokes and Stroboscobes. I'm presuming that only trusted fans are able to do this.

http://m.ultras-tifo.net/photo-news/1993-stromsgodset-start-27102013.html

There has been talk about the effects of inhaling smoke, obviously inhaling smoke isn't a good idea, however smoke bombs are non toxic and providing you aren't stood directly above one I wouldn't have thought they're any more harmful than walking down the Soho Road on a busy day.

Offline Breezeblock

• GM : 29.11.2024
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2013, 02:14:02 PM »
Pyro has recently been legalised in Norway following prolonged discussions between fan groups and clubs, contrast that witht he UK where police are receiving money to hand out extended banning orders.

Fans must apply to the club to let off flares, smokes and Stroboscobes. I'm presuming that only trusted fans are able to do this.

http://m.ultras-tifo.net/photo-news/1993-stromsgodset-start-27102013.html

There has been talk about the effects of inhaling smoke, obviously inhaling smoke isn't a good idea, however smoke bombs are non toxic and providing you aren't stood directly above one I wouldn't have thought they're any more harmful than walking down the Soho Road on a busy day.

Last bonfire night some dickhead let a smoke bomb off near me and I realised that the shit spewing out of it was definitely not fresh air as I couldn't fucking breathe (i'm mildly asthmatic). 

I also fail to see how not being able to see the fucking pitch due to being in the middle of a smokescreen "improves the atmosphere" in any way shape or form. 

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 02:44:18 PM »
I also fail to see how not being able to see the fucking pitch due to being in the middle of a smokescreen "improves the atmosphere" in any way shape or form

Half way through the West Ham game the other week I'd have taken temporary blindness over having to watch the shite being served up on the pitch.

Talking of West Ham - didn't Newcatsle fans chuck a proper fire bomb into their end once? 

Offline eastie

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 02:58:23 PM »
A bog roll properly thrown down a terrace or unrolled from the window of a Football Special was a great sight, particularly if you were the person who let it go.

I do hope you compensated pauline for the loss of household materials ;)

Offline Olneythelonely

• GM : 03.03.2025
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2013, 11:10:19 AM »
God forbid that we are ever allowed to get some sort of atmosphere back into our sterile sit down or thrown out stadia.

You don't ne

Cathy Long, Head of Supporter Services at the Premier League, said: "We have launched an education campaign because we want fans to be fully aware of the dangers of pyrotechnics and to realise the harm they can cause to other supporters.

"Pyrotechnics are not innocent fun, they can be very dangerous and there are victims.

She's right there, I almost lost a flare up my arse trying to smuggle it to Slavia Prague . Very painful.

I nearly left Prague with the match ball. Then some arse ripped it out my hands and threw it around because they thought the stewards were trying to get it back. They just wanted me to put out my fag (I thought it was allowed). Bad times. Bally would have had a great night in the strip club with us.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2013, 05:14:37 PM »
People should think about the Bradford fire before wasting their time trying to justify bringing these things into football grounds.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2013, 06:58:04 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal