collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 12:48:46 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 12:46:44 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

Gordon Cowans by devilla
[Today at 12:43:32 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:42:22 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 12:48:46 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 12:46:44 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by devilla
[Today at 12:43:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:42:22 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:40:33 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 12:38:12 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:36:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Gregory back in management  (Read 9900 times)

Offline Damo70

Re: John Gregory back in management
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 08:18:10 AM »
His record wasn't too shabby overall. Played 190. W82 D 52 L 56
Win% 43 (Better than MON and SBL)
He had a certain steadiness I suppose, where-as even more regarded managers like BFR and Brian Little, had the moments it all started going wrong and they got the can.
In fairness that would have come with JG. He didn't have enough nous for it not to happen but considering he never finished outside the top 8, I thought that was remarkable for a manager who's actually quite limited. Part of it probably was the fact he really cared and for better or worse wore his heart on his sleeve for us.

The cup final will forever be a stigma for him. It was such a wretched display and we never looked close to scoring. Nearly but not good enough. I think that's the difference between a BFR and a manager like Gregory. Ron could mastermind a game like Utd in the LC final. Big occasion against a better side. Gregory didn't have that in him I don't think. Chelsea weren't even that brilliant. They were favourites but I wouldn't have necessarily called us underdogs that day.

We didn't exactly cover ourselves in glory in 120 minutes of open play against Bolton in the semi either.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2013, 10:52:54 AM »
No we were very luck in the Bolton game, Holdsworth somehow missing an open goal right at the end of extra time I remember.

Offline supertom

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2013, 11:28:54 AM »
No we were very luck in the Bolton game, Holdsworth somehow missing an open goal right at the end of extra time I remember.

Ha ha. Yep now I recall. I tend to mostly remember Dion smashing in a penalty in the shootout shortly after returning from his horror neck break (first game back??).
Still, I don't think any team gets through to many finals without some luck along the way.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2013, 11:38:30 AM »
Like the man. Hate Crawley, bloody awful place

Offline Damo70

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2013, 11:38:49 AM »

Ha ha. Yep now I recall. I tend to mostly remember Dion smashing in a penalty in the shootout shortly after returning from his horror neck break (first game back??).
Still, I don't think any team gets through to many finals without some luck along the way.

I was right in line with Holdsworth (albeit at the opposite end of the ground) when the ball came to him and with the goal looking like a massive target he couldn't miss. I had my head in my hands waiting for the distant cheers when I heard cheering and laughter all around me.

Offline eastie

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2013, 11:51:42 AM »

I was right in line with Holdsworth (albeit at the opposite end of the ground) when the ball came to him and with the goal looking like a massive target he couldn't miss. I had my head in my hands waiting for the distant cheers when I heard cheering and laughter all around me.

Shocking indeed.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2013, 12:19:07 PM »
Good luck to JG, I used to see him regularly in the morning walking his dogs in Windsor Great Park, always friendly and chatty and Villa through and through. I remember him most when he got the team together for a photograph on the pitch after guiding us to our best start in the league. Can't see that record being beaten any time soon.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2013, 12:23:46 PM »
His record wasn't too shabby overall. Played 190. W82 D 52 L 56
Win% 43 (Better than MON and SBL)
He had a certain steadiness I suppose, where-as even more regarded managers like BFR and Brian Little, had the moments it all started going wrong and they got the can.
In fairness that would have come with JG. He didn't have enough nous for it not to happen but considering he never finished outside the top 8, I thought that was remarkable for a manager who's actually quite limited. Part of it probably was the fact he really cared and for better or worse wore his heart on his sleeve for us.

The cup final will forever be a stigma for him. It was such a wretched display and we never looked close to scoring. Nearly but not good enough. I think that's the difference between a BFR and a manager like Gregory. Ron could mastermind a game like Utd in the LC final. Big occasion against a better side. Gregory didn't have that in him I don't think. Chelsea weren't even that brilliant. They were favourites but I wouldn't have necessarily called us underdogs that day.

We didn't exactly cover ourselves in glory in 120 minutes of open play against Bolton in the semi either.

Or the 180 minutes of the LC semis vs Leicester. 390 minutes of semi and final games, 0 goals scored and we rarely looked like scoring. That sums JG up, could get us so far thanks to spending a fortune, but couldn't get us going when it counted.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2013, 01:00:39 PM »
Was he ever on record in later years regarding his treatment of Collymore?

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2013, 01:04:08 PM »
No idea why I remember this, but after his first game in charge of Villa against Liverpool, a Louise Redknapp song was played over the sound system. At the time, all I could think of it was something to do with her husband. Still think the same, but more in it was a bit of a Gregory showman type event.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2013, 01:09:32 PM »
Started off really well at Villa and I'll remember the good times, but I wasn't sorry when he left.

As people have said, a Villa man and seems like a decent guy.  Good luck at Crawley.

Offline Fred

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2013, 01:13:19 PM »
Is it really 15 years ago and we were heading for the summit of English Football under JG.
It was sad how his time as manager ended.
I liked him as manager and wish him all the best for the futre.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2013, 01:17:08 PM »

Loved JG, wish him all the best

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2013, 01:46:04 PM »
I hope he does well. He holds Villa so close to his heart. Unfortunately and inevitably his stay at Crawley will end sooner than he'd like.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2013, 02:44:14 PM »
Good luck to him.

Apart from being a decent player, his part in Sir Brian's backroom team when we played some superb football and his early days as our manager should never be forgotten. The fact that he always demonstrates great passion for the club is a credit to the man.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal