collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gary Neville  (Read 12686 times)

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
Re: Gary Neville
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 01:41:36 PM »
Yeah, he's the most insightful of all of them. I think Carragher has improved due to Neville's level of expertise. BT's lot are a load of gubbins. Way too many pundits and the anchor acts a bit too much like a wanchor (didn't Ginola get into trouble for giving him that very hand-sign?).
I couldn't believe it when BT had Boris Becker as their pundit for the Dortmund v Bayern game last weekend. It just smacked of "let's get a famous german in, quickly, anyone!".

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 01:42:54 PM »
BT's lot are a load of gubbins.

Who are the BT pundits?

Offline OasisVillain

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 01:46:27 PM »
In the studio on a Saturday BT usually have a selection from Owen Hargreaves, Steve McManamam, David James, Daveeeeed Ginola and Neil Warnock, seen Tony Pulis on there too before now (not anymore though)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 01:49:59 PM »
Yeah, he's the most insightful of all of them. I think Carragher has improved due to Neville's level of expertise. BT's lot are a load of gubbins. Way too many pundits and the anchor acts a bit too much like a wanchor (didn't Ginola get into trouble for giving him that very hand-sign?).
I couldn't believe it when BT had Boris Becker as their pundit for the Dortmund v Bayern game last weekend. It just smacked of "let's get a famous german in, quickly, anyone!".
They also have  the interesting Michael Owen.

Offline eastie

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 01:51:04 PM »
They also have  the interesting Michael Owen.

What a bunch - only warnock from those i would rate at all.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 01:55:26 PM »
Gary Neville has been great as a pundit and some of his insight is fantastic compared to what we see on other channels. His analysis as mentioned on City v spuds was good and So was the interesting points he made about Suarez's free kick.

I know the MOTD team say they don't get the time that they do on Sky but surely they could do a condensed version of what Neville and Carragher do (although Carragher's voice does grate).

Fed up of Hansen and shearer just telling us what we have already seen and know.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 03:32:06 PM by mrfuse »

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 01:55:41 PM »
As Chris says, the good thing with Neville is the genuine insight he gives that we would miss. Compare that with the mugs on MOTD for example.

I believe he also went on a coaching course to help with his insight.

He was still loathsome bastard as a player mind.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2013, 01:58:38 PM »
Neville actually appears to care about the job, whereas I'd wager many other pundits wouldn't bother doing any sort of research before a game. He strikes me as the sort of person who'd make an excellent manager in time.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 02:25:26 PM »
If you lot are seriously suggesting that Red Nev is a better pundit than my hero Garth Crooks then you're bonkers. Anyway, I've got to stick my shoes in the oven before the monkey men tear a hole in the space time continuum.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2013, 02:36:32 PM »
As Chris says, the good thing with Neville is the genuine insight he gives that we would miss. Compare that with the mugs on MOTD for example.

I believe he also went on a coaching course to help with his insight.

He was still loathsome bastard as a player mind.

I think that's why we have this thread. We all saw him as a player and thought we knew him and the consensus was that he was a twat. It has come as a shock to discover that he's not only an intelligent pundit but also a seemingly decent human being.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2013, 02:37:10 PM »
I've seen a behind the scenes documentary of a MNF and Neville basically spends the whole day going through the major incidences of the weekend and looking at tactical aspects, deciding what he's going to use. They've introduced in-game analysis this season too; like yesterday they ringed Gabby, Benteke and Weimann to show the positions they were taking up. That sort of detail can take a few minutes to work out when watching on tv. When you're at the game, you have a bird's eye view of the whole pitch and it's obvious.

In the last couple of years Sky have started to put everyone else to shame. I say started because the other pundits don't do it.

With the analysis there's been times before now where I've not been interested in their game and just watched the pre-match analysis. I think they should do an hour-long show even when they don't have a game on a Monday.

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2013, 02:39:25 PM »
I've seen a behind the scenes documentary of a MNF and Neville basically spends the whole day going through the major incidences of the weekend and looking at tactical aspects, deciding what he's going to use.

Gary Neville is Ron Jaworski
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 03:20:30 PM by UK Redsox »

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 02:43:13 PM »
The throw-in thing winds me up. I haven't seen a side lose so many of their own throw-ins as we do. We may as well just flip a coin.

I don't remember the last time I saw somebody other than in an Under 10's game being pulled up for a foul throw, Villa did two in the Hull match alone. I don't think they know how to take them properly.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2013, 03:05:53 PM »
Gary Neville is
I've seen a behind the scenes documentary of a MNF and Neville basically spends the whole day going through the major incidences of the weekend and looking at tactical aspects, deciding what he's going to use.

Gary Neville is Ron Jaworski

Who?

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2013, 03:13:43 PM »
Listening to him talk about us last night was very impressed with the stature in which he holds us.  "Big club", "terrific stadium" etc. 

Before the first game of the season, they did a preview thing with Neville and Carragher. You should have heard Carragher bigging us up, said he wasn't a Villa fan but as a kid used to go to our matches etc etc. It was genuinely surprising to hear.

7:24.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal