collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: DOL - Putting the #### into Scunthorpe?  (Read 7553 times)

Offline eastie

Re: DOL - Putting the #### into Scunthorpe?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 10:53:12 AM »
Strange - a manager who got us to within a whisker of the Champions League is loathed and roundly abused whereas on another thread there's no hard feelings towards one who almost got us relegated and   was responsible for some of the worst football since we were playing on Aston Lower Grounds. Well, not strange if you know the two individuals.

True but that's because we are 'an honest bunch of lads '

Offline Damo70

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 11:20:48 AM »
I'd be more surprised he would be interested in the post  .

Not as surprised as he was when his batphone actually rang.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2013, 12:19:47 PM »
The fickle label means he deserves everything he gets, giving every other fan in the country a stick to beat your supporters with is about as bad as it gets in terms of setting their opinion of you.  Best yet, despite taking the piss every other fan knows how much of a c**t he was to do it.

He's the only ex-manager that I really dislike, I think others have done a lot of damage to the club at times but no one else targeted the supporters like that.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2013, 12:29:45 PM »
The one thing I will never understand about O'Leary is that given the feelings towards Doug at the time he didn't have to say a word and he would have had everyone on his side; press, fans, the lot. He didn't even have to be like Gregory and get us onboard with a series of merry quips and witty one-liners - just keep his gob shut. Instead he seemed to go out of his way to alienate everyone.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2013, 01:04:26 PM »
The one thing I will never understand about O'Leary is that given the feelings towards Doug at the time he didn't have to say a word and he would have had everyone on his side; press, fans, the lot. He didn't even have to be like Gregory and get us onboard with a series of merry quips and witty one-liners - just keep his gob shut. Instead he seemed to go out of his way to alienate everyone.
Which, I think, speaks to a smugness and arrogance in the man.
I have a mate who's a good friend of O'Dreary: his comments about the time are that Doug's paranoia about expenses very quickly alienated O'Dreary who couldn't basically handle the relationship at all. It was not helped by the fact that the manager was commuting from the White Rose Republic. Contrast this with the relationship he had with the crook-chairman at Leeds during their heyday - close, built on mutual respect (well, until O'Dreary decided to publish "United on Trial", which blew everything).
It was a torrid time for both, I suspect, even if some of what was done on the pitch by the pug-nosed one was definitely not all bad.
O'Dreary, it seems to me, has a fundamental inability to empathesise and build rapport  - a pretty significant deficit in the job he was in.

Offline paulcomben

• GM : Oct, 2013
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2013, 01:13:15 PM »
Sorry for lowering the tone but it's a headline writers dream.  They wouldn't actually give him a job, would they?

http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/Aston-Villa-manager-Leeds-United-manager-David-O/story-20112923-detail/story.html

What is a HORP and is it something rude, then?!

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2013, 05:38:38 PM »
I've always thought he was from Scunthorpe

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2013, 06:56:16 PM »
Hope we draw them at home in the League Cup next season. (They are already out the FA Cup).
Reserve my seat, Lower Trinity, Row A near the half way line.  >:(

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2013, 07:07:22 PM »
I remember leaving the Riverside absolutely convinced we were going to finish 4th.

Offline Leighton

• Location: Walsall Wood. Home of the protesting Jesus on a telegraph pole.
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2013, 11:32:53 PM »
Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Mighty as in mighty twat!

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2013, 07:33:16 AM »
Oh how the mighty have fallen.

True. This would be represent one hell of a fall from grace for the mighty Scunthorpe.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 06:09:26 PM »
I remember leaving the Riverside absolutely convinced we were going to finish 4th.

The folly of yoof.

Offline eastie

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 10:29:04 AM »
Scunthorpe has dismissed the idea that dolly is in the running for  the job saying its utter nonsense.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2013, 10:41:49 AM »
Scunthorpe has dismissed the idea that dolly is in the running for  the job saying its utter nonsense.

I saw the official statement last night. They seem very keen to kill any talk of it happening. So keen it made me LOL.

Offline Fred

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »

I think that. I also wonder if he had resigned as soon as the season ended in 2006 would he have got a job with another club the following season? Would the general thought have been that he did his best with Doug and deserved a chance with a mid table top flight club?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal