collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 09:31:23 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 09:31:10 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:31:08 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 09:30:56 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 09:30:05 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by papa lazarou
[Today at 09:29:57 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 09:29:20 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 09:28:01 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Are we a boring outfit?  (Read 36702 times)

Offline eastie

Re: Are we a boring outfit?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2013, 05:58:24 PM »
“Saunders Heroes” has set an overlapping time frame which for him capsulates boredom. 2006 to present, with overlap of 2012-present. To avoid confusion, these are opinions based on seeing the games rather than reading propaganda, just in case there is confusion over the providence of my nonsensical opinion.

These are just a few things that strike me as being anything other than dull;

In that time I have seen us win an away game in Europe in a full competition. I have seen us win away in the preliminary rounds, but my European away day following started in Madrid and in all that time, I have not seen us win an away game. Plenty of draws and enough defeats. I found that exciting.

* We competed at the right end of the table for three of those four years.

* We challenged for trophies, albeit fleetingly.

* We have been witness to the most bizarre and muddled management of succession possibly in the clubs history as we lurched from Houllier to McLeish.

* We seriously diced with relegation on two occasions and managed to pull clear before the end on a third to finish a flattering 9th.

* With a 12 month absence, we have become a very good away side and are more than capable of going anywhere in the country and beating anybody.

* We have a manager who is a reckless gambler, offering unpredictable line-ups, formations.

I don’t think we’re dull. I find a genuine pleasure in watching this Aston Villa side and have only ever been unfortunate enough to question my belief coming back from a Norwich defeat under McLiesh.

I thought we were incredibly boring under Gregory. I think the FA Cup final typified the era and was one of the greatest disappointments of recent times, that all we could summon after nearly 50 years of waiting was that tedious performance? Would that team beat this one? Probably, but it would be a tedious affair.

So I take it you have been a follower since the mid 90s ads?
The reason i ask is that maybe you find the football exciting in comparison to the likes of Gregory, o Leary, Mcleish etc whereas some older fans may be thinking of exciting as being the eras of the 70s and 80s during which we played some top top football at times - never to be forgotten.

Offline supertom

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2013, 05:59:13 PM »
I feel like we've got the potential to kick on. Under McLeish it was just horrifically boring and it all seemed utterly hopeless. Had he stayed he'd have taken us down the following year.

We've seen both sides of the coin now with Lambert. We've seen a side that looked like it could score every game and looked fantastic in attack at times. We've now also seen a side very resolute that can grind out results and are pretty solid at the back.

Can he get our attack looking more effective again? Of course he can. Some of the football we played Feb-May was some of the best I've witnessed since being a fan (90 onwards). Benteke is the most exciting CF we've had since Yorke. I've no doubts that once we get players back from injury, and others back in form, like Westwood and Lowton who were key for us last season, that we'll see more attractive football again.
Will our defense remain so resolute? Who knows. I'm sure we'll have the odd unsightly game now, but I feel assured we're well past seeing a run of results like we saw midway through last season. Shipping 15 goals in 3 games was horrific.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2013, 06:00:12 PM »
I think (bunny ears)Ads(bunny ears) should write for the OS. They could do with another "everything's smashing" outlet on there.

By which measure, you should get a gig filling in for Franksy.

What's that supposed to mean?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2013, 06:00:31 PM »
I really enjoy following the Villa. It routinely makes me angry, but I am not bored by it. You think I am talking nonsense and a talking shop like the website, I don't think that has anything to do with whether the Villa are boring.

Offline eastie

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2013, 06:01:40 PM »
Interesting to note you say you thought lamberts reign has been very exciting in the match thread but now it's only exciting ?

Unpredictable would best describe it , with high and lows along the way but far from very exciting - indeed some of the football especially at home has been turgid in the extreme ., whilst on our day we can be extremely good to watch .
 Are we boring - sometimes
Are we exciting- sometimes .

Given the choice of top 6 and Gregory type football or  what we have seen under lambert I would take the 1-0 wins and top 6 personally.
i will second that

I think I'm the opposite (if I'm understanding you correctly).  I'd prefer that lambert (or whoever) tries a different approach that *might* help us leap from also rans to a genuine title contenders rather than the Gregory approach (see also MON and TSM) of spunking lots of money on established players knowing that there is a ceiling to what can be achieved.

As part of Lambert's philosophy there is bound to be a degree of chaos involved as he's choosing the harder route/option but the rewards are potentially much greater.

There is no might about it for me - not a chance in hell of lambert turning us into title contenders!
Possibly in time he may have us competing for top 6 but title contenders - no .

Offline Ads

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2013, 06:02:02 PM »

Quote from: saunders_heroes
Just because I'm not happy with the Villa now doesn't mean I've never been happy with us before or again in the future. I'm not a nodding dog, and if I'm unhappy with Villa I'll let it be known.

... and just because its not always raining in my world does not make me a mouthpiece, sprouting nonsensical opinion or incapable of independent thought. Neither does being a misery arse equate to being a sage. 

Just because I disagreed with a poster on here who claimed this Villa team is exciting doesn't mean that it's always raining in my world. And no need for the personal insult either.

Sorry, I should have prefixed it with "no offence" as you did, before going on to cause offence.

Offline Ads

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2013, 06:02:46 PM »
“Saunders Heroes” has set an overlapping time frame which for him capsulates boredom. 2006 to present, with overlap of 2012-present. To avoid confusion, these are opinions based on seeing the games rather than reading propaganda, just in case there is confusion over the providence of my nonsensical opinion.

In that time I have seen us win an away game in Europe in a full competition. I have seen us win away in the preliminary rounds, but my European away day following started in Madrid and in all that time, I have not seen us win an away game. Plenty of draws and enough defeats. I found that exciting.

* We have been witness to the most bizarre and muddled management of succession possibly in the clubs history as we lurched from Houllier to McLeish.

* We seriously diced with relegation on two occasions and managed to pull clear before the end on a third to finish a flattering 9th.

* With a 12 month absence, we have become a very good away side and are more than capable of going anywhere in the country and beating anybody.

* We have a manager who is a reckless gambler, offering unpredictable line-ups, formations.

I don’t think we’re dull. I find a genuine pleasure in watching this Aston Villa side and have only ever been unfortunate enough to question my belief coming back from a Norwich defeat under McLiesh.

I thought we were incredibly boring under Gregory. I think the FA Cup final typified the era and was one of the greatest disappointments of recent times, that all we could summon after nearly 50 years of waiting was that tedious performance? Would that team beat this one? Probably, but it would be a tedious affair.

The reason i ask is that maybe you find the football exciting in comparison to the likes of Gregory, o Leary, Mcleish etc whereas some older fans may be thinking of exciting as being the eras of the 70s and 80s during which we played some top top football at times - never to be forgotten.

I am 27 years old and have been following the Villa for 23 years and had a season ticket for 21 of those years.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2013, 06:04:22 PM »
I really enjoy following the Villa. It routinely makes me angry, but I am not bored by it. You think I am talking nonsense and a talking shop like the website, I don't think that has anything to do with whether the Villa are boring.

I also enjoy watching Villa and always will do. That doesn't mean I should be a nodding dog and accept everything thrown at me. If I don't like something I'll say it. What's so unacceptable about that?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2013, 06:04:27 PM »
I think (bunny ears)Ads(bunny ears) should write for the OS. They could do with another "everything's smashing" outlet on there.

It means that if you're going to paint him in terms of being so optimistic he should be writing for the OS (with that being the height of fluffy optimism), on the basis that he's the optimistic type, I am suggesting you should get yourself a gig doing Franksy's job on WM (the height of doomishness), what with you being on the miserablist side

I am basically suggesting that if you're going to stick a label on him based on an exaggeration of his standpoint, maybe you should expect people to do the same to you, based on yours.

Which is what I just did. And I bet you like it about as much as he did.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2013, 06:04:49 PM »

Who cares?!  Apologies for being rude but lets not side track a good thread by getting personal/taking it off topic.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2013, 06:05:43 PM »

Quote from: saunders_heroes
Just because I'm not happy with the Villa now doesn't mean I've never been happy with us before or again in the future. I'm not a nodding dog, and if I'm unhappy with Villa I'll let it be known.

... and just because its not always raining in my world does not make me a mouthpiece, sprouting nonsensical opinion or incapable of independent thought. Neither does being a misery arse equate to being a sage. 

Just because I disagreed with a poster on here who claimed this Villa team is exciting doesn't mean that it's always raining in my world. And no need for the personal insult either.

Sorry, I should have prefixed it with "no offence" as you did, before going on to cause offence.

Well perhaps you shouldn't have called me a "misery arse" then.

Offline eastie

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2013, 06:09:38 PM »

I am 27 years old and have been following the Villa for 23 years and had a season ticket for 21 of those years.

Good man - I hope during your time with us you get to see a really successful villa side winning trophies - we all deserve those days again some day .
So you were 5 when big ron took over - I guess in comparison over the last 15 years ago today's football could be seen as exciting so I get where you at coming from in that sense.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2013, 06:10:43 PM »

It means that if you're going to paint him in terms of being so optimistic he should be writing for the OS (with that being the height of fluffy optimism), on the basis that he's the optimistic type, I am suggesting you should get yourself a gig doing Franksy's job on WM (the height of doomishness), what with you being on the miserablist side

I am basically suggesting that if you're going to stick a label on him based on an exaggeration of his standpoint, maybe you should expect people to do the same to you, based on yours.

Which is what I just did. And I bet you like it about as much as he did.

Response of the night.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2013, 06:10:49 PM »
Interesting to note you say you thought lamberts reign has been very exciting in the match thread but now it's only exciting ?

Unpredictable would best describe it , with high and lows along the way but far from very exciting - indeed some of the football especially at home has been turgid in the extreme ., whilst on our day we can be extremely good to watch .
 Are we boring - sometimes
Are we exciting- sometimes .

Given the choice of top 6 and Gregory type football or  what we have seen under lambert I would take the 1-0 wins and top 6 personally.
i will second that

I think I'm the opposite (if I'm understanding you correctly).  I'd prefer that lambert (or whoever) tries a different approach that *might* help us leap from also rans to a genuine title contenders rather than the Gregory approach (see also MON and TSM) of spunking lots of money on established players knowing that there is a ceiling to what can be achieved.

As part of Lambert's philosophy there is bound to be a degree of chaos involved as he's choosing the harder route/option but the rewards are potentially much greater.

There is no might about it for me - not a chance in hell of lambert turning us into title contenders!
Possibly in time he may have us competing for top 6 but title contenders - no .

No I don't think he will get us to being actual contenders either, BUT under the Gregory/MON route, the finances would have always scuppered our plans, basically because we were spending beyond our means. 

Whereas with Lambert (once the dead wood is removed) we could have a solid mid-table squad (say 7 - 10th) but with profit/wages available to expand beyond the 6th place ceiling we have reached previously.

Ultimately this provides me with hope, which I think makes Villa quite an exciting club right now.  Knowing that it could go tits up and we could end up in a relegation battle just adds to the drama for me.

Offline eastie

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2013, 06:13:39 PM »

Who cares?!  Apologies for being rude but lets not side track a good thread by getting personal/taking it off topic.

Well said , a good thread developing here - no need for anyone to get personal - some good posters making good points on both sides.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal