collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: View From the Opposition - WBA fan  (Read 57896 times)

Offline Liam_Baggies

View From the Opposition - WBA fan
« on: November 18, 2013, 01:26:44 PM »
Hi,

On our forum (westbrom.com) we run a weekly feature where I get your thoughts ahead of Monday's game. If you could answer the questions beneath it would be most appreciated. The finished article shall be posted in this topic later on in the week.

Firstly, I would like to apologise to the forum administrators if this violates any forum rules or is indeed in the wrong place.

1. What are your expectations for Aston Villa this season?
2. What are your expectations for WBA this season?
3. Paul Lambert had a tough season last year, what have you made of his tenure so far?
4. What are your views on your summer recruitment?
5. What are your views on our summer recruitment? (Additions of Anelka, Sessegnon, Anichebe, Vydra, Sinclair etc)
6. The previous game finished 2-2. What were your thoughts on that game. Fair result?
7. Being honest, who will finish higher in the table come the end of the season? Albion or Villa.
8. What are Villa's strengths and weaknesses?
9. What side is Paul Lambert most likely to choose?
10. And finally, score predictions.

Thank you.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: View From the Opposition - WBA fan
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 01:47:28 PM »
1. What are your expectations for Aston Villa this season?

I am hoping for a continued improvement from last season, picking things up form wise from how we started to pick up points from February onwards, which in fairness, is what we have done. We have had the hardest start to the campaign of any club in the league, but we're nicely tucked into mid-table.

Anything from 12th-8th is a possibility, as there are a number of sides milling around the league of similar quality.

2. What are your expectations for WBA this season?

I would expect you're aiming for around the same spots as we are.

3. Paul Lambert had a tough season last year, what have you made of his tenure so far?

I find the man and his vision for the club refreshing over what went before. He has been dealt a hand few managers could cope with; a huge wage deficit to be made up, while taking over one of the poorest squads in the league. He has re-built the entire squad, has played infinitely more attractive football than his predecessor and has managed to completely balance the books in the process. He has given us a sustainable platform to build from for the future.

4. What are your views on your summer recruitment?

There were a lot of unexpected names, with most recruits being youngsters from Europe. Probably the best, Okore, is out for the season unfortunately. The likes of Tonev and Kozak look useful, but it takes time for them to bed in.

Bacuna has looked very good and I would like to see him get a run in midfield.

5. What are your views on our summer recruitment? (Additions of Anelka, Sessegnon, Anichebe, Vydra, Sinclair etc)

I thought some of the signings were panic buys, the amount you spent on Anichebe for example seemed out of the norm and a little over the top. Sessegnonn has quality, but is an in and out player, probably best typified by his good run against Stoke and his awful finish in the last minute.

6. The previous game finished 2-2. What were your thoughts on that game. Fair result?

We should have been well out of sight by half time. Defensively lapses were common place last season, so the fact we let a lead slip wasn’t all that surprising. We seem to have brushed off some of the naivety and we are a lot stronger defensively this time around.

7. Being honest, who will finish higher in the table come the end of the season? Albion or Villa.

The Villa will.

8. What are Villa's strengths and weaknesses?

I think our biggest weakness is creativity in the midfield, especially at home. We miss a number 10 to link the play.

9. What side is Paul Lambert most likely to choose?

If Gabby is fit, then it may be: Guzan, Lowton, Baker, Vlaar, Luna, Westwood, Sylla, Delph, Bacuna, Gabby, Benteke.

10. And finally, score predictions.

Villa win via a 93rd minute handball, with the scorer being offside too. Peace gets his crayon out and writes another letter to the FA, Fifa and the Dalai lama claiming it bay fair.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 01:52:55 PM »
1) Mid table
2) See 1
3) Better than the previous 2 incumbents given the situation.
4) In keeping with cutting cloth. OK but the best propect seems to be injured.
5) Mixed. Sessegnon should be good with someone who can handle him properly. Sinclair if he is moivated. Thankfully when you signed him I got Anichebe mixed up with Pinear in my own head.
6) Possbily. Maybe an age thing but I can't remember much. I can remember 0-0 in December 1987 and April 2006. Because I was there.
7) Probably Albion by 5 points or so.
8) Stengths - GK and Forwards when they are fit. Waeknesses - some of the rest.
9) Dunno depends on availability.
10) 1-2 to Villa. If it was at VP I'd say the same in WBA's favour.

Offline Richie

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 02:03:03 PM »
1. Mid-table
2. Mid-table
3. He had a massive job on his hands when he took over. It's been a complete overhaul of the team he inherited. Due to this, the fans have been more patient with him. There's been obvious major disappointments in his first season, but he's getting there.
4. A bit mixed. Players signed who we had no idea about and some of the foreign lads seem to be taking a bit of time adjusting to the speed of the Premier League. Bacuna has had a great start, Tonev hasn't !
5. Anelka looks way past his best and Vydra and Sinclair have hardly kicked a ball. Sessegnon looks dangerous but looks like he will only perform when he's in the mood. Anichebe - always thought he looked a handful for Everton but doesn't score many goals (see Heskey, Emile).
6. The classic game of 2 halves. Fair result.
7. I honestly don't think there will be more than 3 or 4 points in it either way. Letting my heart rule my head, Villa to finish higher.
8. Defensively we look a lot more solid than last season when we needed to score 3 to stand a chance of winning a match. Always likely to score a goal with Benteke in the side. Weakness - not enough creativity in the midfield.
9. Guzan, Baker, Clark, Vlaar, Bacuna, Delph, Sylla, Westwood, Weimann, Gabby, Benteke (injuries depending)
10. 1-1

Offline Miguelito

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
I agree with Ads with 1-8. as for the team, Clark will keep his place over Luna. Hopefully Delph will be fit but if not Weimann with Bacuna deeper. As for the result, 1-0 Benteke from a Bacuna set piece.

Offline supertom

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 02:14:21 PM »
1- 9th-12th
2- As above.
3- His ideas in principal are good. The execution hasn't always been there, and often a bit naive, but he's getting there. He's been more pro-active than previous managers in identifying and trying to rectify problems. He still has his stubborn areas (lack of width for example), but he did something significant to improve our defence in the summer with new playing and coaching additions.
4- Bacuna is a fans favourite already. Luna looks a good purchase. Positionally he needs work but that should come. Kozak has done okay overall. He's struggled at times to impact on games, but not entirely from his own fault. Okore will be very good. Tonev looks lively. Helenius I'm not sure on. I just wonder whether he'll be one of those players, a bit like Mattieu Berson who may never settle in this league. I hope not.
5- Sessegnon can turn a game when he wants to. The other signings are a mixed bag really. I think it's the young lad Berahino who really stands out for the Baggies right now.
6- I thought we had the game in our hands and poor defensive organisation and performances had us throwing away the result. Had we had a bit more nous to kill the game and stay tight we'd have been good value, but overall, we took our foot of the gas and gifted a point back to you. In all I'd say it's a fair result. If you gift goals and don't see out games you can't complain if you get 1 pt instead of 3.
7- Very close but I think Benteke is the difference. We'll finish higher. Had the Baggies re-acquired Lukaku for the season, I'd have had them ahead by a nose if I'm being honest.
8- Our strength is Benteke. He's not at his best at the moment but he'll get back to it again. He's going to hit 15-20 league goals this season. Guzan at the other end is also a top keeper. Our weakness is midfield. Lambert wants to play the ball on deck, high tempo. He wants us to aspire to be like Dortmund I guess, but we don't have enough technical ability in the middle of the pitch and we lack a mid with guile.
9- Depending on the fitness of Clark, he may well go for the back 3 and wing back system with Benteke and Kozak up top. Probably Westwood, Delph and KEA/ Sylla in CM.
10- 1-1. It won't be a pretty game to watch, as derbies rarely are. It'll be tight. A bit of Benteke magic for us. Sessegnon may raise his game for this, or perhaps Berahino with the other goal.

Offline eastie

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 02:24:50 PM »
1- 9th to 12th
2- as above
3- mixed , good signings but questionable tactics and formations at times- work in progress.
4- failed to address the main problem of creativity in midfield - bacuna and okore very good signings
5- Albion have some decent young players but will you keep them?
6-villa should have killed the game off in the first half - 2 points lost.
7-little to choose , could be either .
8-strengths are counter attacking , defence much better but midfield still weak.
9- you tell me - who can ever predict his team?
10-Albion 1 villa 2

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 02:35:16 PM »
1. Mid table.  If I had to put a number on it, I'd say 10th, but the main thing is this young side shows some progress, which we have so far
2. League position wise I'd say you'll be very close to us.
3. Very good on balance. 
4. Bacuna and Okore, until his injury, looked very good.  The rest seem to e slow burners, so we'll have to wait and see.
5. I think you've gone backwards squad wise, but that's because you've lost Lukaku and the combination of Anelka and Anichebe won't make up for that.
6. Can't really remember too much about it to be honest, so that probably means it was a fair result.
7. Toss of a coin, really.  If and when Benteke finds his scoring boots again we could pinch it, but I can't see an awful lot of points being in it either way.
8. Last year attack was the strength and defense the weakness.  This year the weakness seems to be midfield creativity at home, but I think our goal scoring ability, mainly Benteke, will prove to be the strength again.
9. Too many injured at the moment to be sure.  If everyone were fit, other than Okore, I'd go Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Clark, Luna, Westwood, Delph, Bacuna, Gabby, Benteke and Weimann.
10. 1-1.

Offline Fuse

• GM : 28.08.2015
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 05:02:18 PM »
1. 9-12th
2. Same
3. I think he has done a good job so far but it will be at the end of year 3 when he will be judged. Will he overcome the perenial issue of improving us past the 3 year tenure?
4. Bacuna and Okore look class. Luna has potential. Not impressed with Helenius and Kozak as yet.
5. Not taken too much notice to be honest.
6. Was pissed off at the time as we should have had the game won. On reflection it was a typical games of 2 halves so fair result.
7. Think we have more potential to get better so will say Villa
8. Youthful exhuberance which is a strength and weakness in equal measure for us at the moment
9. Guzan, Bacuna, Vlaar, Baker, Clark, Westwood, Sylla, Delph, Benteke, Weimann, Kozak
10. 2-1

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 06:12:38 PM »
1. Top half but not in Europe
2. Bottom half but not relegation
3. B-
4. Bacuna and Okore are quality. Luna is impressive. Jury still out on Kojak and the Gladiator.
5. Not fussed, sorry.
6. Should have been a Villa win.
7. Villa
8. We only have strengths
9. The winning one.
10. We will score more than you.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 06:13:55 PM »
That 2-2 game last season was our entire season in a nutshell.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 06:53:44 PM »
Nice forum, by the way.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 07:34:56 PM »
1: 8th
2: 14th
3: I like what he's trying to do, even though it spectacularly fails sometimes. We finally seem to have some kind of long term plan in place.
4: Okore looked top class before his injury, Bacuna looks very good and the others have shown promise. I'd like to see more of Helenius in the first team.
5: Don't care.
6: Was typical of our season. We battered you in the first half and could have been out of sight. It was no shock we ended up dropping two points by full time.
7: Villa
8: We're Paul Lambert's Villa. Who knows as it changes from game to game.
9: Is that you Mr Clarke
10: 3-1 Villa win.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 07:42:20 PM »
Nice forum, by the way.

I was just looking at their pre match thread.

Reading some of their comments, you'd think they were pushing for Europe and we were in a relegation fight rather than us one place below them on goal difference - a goal difference of 1.

I don't have anything against Albion by and large, I never encountered them in my youth as i was the other side of the city, so i find it hard to get annoyed too much by them either way - they've been utterly insignificant to me for 45 years - but reading some of that forum, they don't half have some deluded fans.

Offline Liam_Baggies

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 07:57:25 PM »
I was just looking at their pre match thread.

Reading some of their comments, you'd think they were pushing for Europe and we were in a relegation fight rather than us one place below them on goal difference - a goal difference of 1.

I don't have anything against Albion by and large, I never encountered them in my youth as i was the other side of the city, so i find it hard to get annoyed too much by them either way - they've been utterly insignificant to me for 45 years - but reading some of that forum, they don't half have some deluded fans.

Apart from one member who was talking with his tongue firmly in his cheek I don't see how you have come to the conclusion that some of our supporters on the forum are deluded - unless you're looking in a topic which I've missed.

Most of us have admitted this will be a difficult game and that a draw is most likely.

Nice forum, by the way.

Thank you.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal