collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: We're not fickle..  (Read 27002 times)

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
Re: We're not fickle..
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2013, 10:31:10 AM »

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2013, 01:22:09 PM »
My outstanding memory of O'leary's reign (apart from the fickle banner of course), was going to Everton away with my husband and him managing to successfully start an incredible range of '0'Leary out' chants that went on for the entire match.

It was so bizarre watching my PNE supporting husband get the whole of the Villa support whipped up into full O'Leary Out' mode. I couldn't help being more than slightly uneasy as I was the only one who knew he wasn't actually a Villa fan, and that he was finding the whole thing hilarious.

Still - it did seem to properly get the ball rolling!

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2013, 01:37:53 PM »
My outstanding memory of O'leary's reign (apart from the fickle banner of course), was going to Everton away with my husband and him managing to successfully start an incredible range of '0'Leary out' chants that went on for the entire match.

It was so bizarre watching my PNE supporting husband get the whole of the Villa support whipped up into full O'Leary Out' mode. I couldn't help being more than slightly uneasy as I was the only one who knew he wasn't actually a Villa fan, and that he was finding the whole thing hilarious.

I had a similar experience when we won away at Chelsea on New Year's Eve 2011. I was in a box by the Chelsea lairy boys in the west stand and after we went ahead Terry came over for a throw in. I started booing shouting how bad it was and all the blokes ini front of me joined in and it escalated. Absolute joy!

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2013, 02:03:30 PM »

Blimey was that the 4-1 - we were so shit McFadden scored? I think it was temporarily suspended when Gabby scored. We were dire and we were in deep trouble - thankfully our near neighbours construed to be even more shit.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2013, 02:09:08 PM »
Yes - Gabby's debut I think. We were awful.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2013, 02:14:01 PM »
He's certainly marked his card for management in this country. His ego is too big that he'd take a league 1/2 job, and no one else would take a risk on him. He's similar in a way to a few of our previous managers, like Gregory. I honestly can't see him getting a gig any time soon on domestic soil. It may well be the case for McLeish too who has failed in his previous couple of jobs now, three if you count Shitty, but they're not a prem club so they're back at their level again.

Being a manager of Villa in the last 30 years doesn't lead on to bigger or better experiences - SGT I aside and even he came back to ensure the record was sullied. A who's who of hasbeens if you're lucky or never gonna bes again. Saunders, Barton, Turner, McNeill (even his triumphant return to Celtic was comparatively short lived), Dr Jo, BFR, Little (terminal divisional slide), Gregory, DOL, MON, Houllier, TSM. That is a fairly extensive list - in view of this Lambert really has punted his reputation. I always think that Villa and Wolves are two very very hard jobs. Not that many fans expect them to be Top 4 team nowadays just that they expect them to be better than they are at any given time. Not so with Albion or Blues in the last 10 years.

Offline peter w

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2013, 02:16:40 PM »
I remember watching the 4-1 in Pakistan. The Star TV pundits- Steve McMahon and someone - both laid into O'Leary and his team selection saying that he had picked a team designed to lose.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2013, 02:18:47 PM »
Yes - Gabby's debut I think. We were awful.

Yep Everton were nowt special and absolutely battered us. I think we were in a similar position as them at the time. I had a few beers in Flannagans in town afterwards numbed the pain a little.

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2013, 02:23:15 PM »
I remember watching the 4-1 in Pakistan. The Star TV pundits- Steve McMahon and someone - both laid into O'Leary and his team selection saying that he had picked a team designed to lose.
the highlight that day was singing about the match day programmes...

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2013, 02:27:12 PM »
Ha I was just going to say there was much singing about the programmes!

"Villa fans, programmes are now available"

Waey! Lets all buy a programme! For about fifeteen minutea straight.

Arsenal away where Dolly fawned over his old club and said we cannot compete with the Charltons of this world saw some very loud Dolly out signing. "We're just honest, bunch of lads!"

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2013, 11:49:26 PM »
I hated O'Leary more that I hated McNeil.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2013, 12:09:14 AM »
The Djemba twins put the boot in to O'Leary: click me.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2013, 08:28:35 AM »
He is only 32? Crikey, I thought he would have retired.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2013, 09:15:33 AM »
Even with the negative football and lack of any idea I still dislike the pug nosed one more than I ever did Mcleish...

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2013, 09:28:04 AM »
I dislike O'Leary more than any other former Villa manager and he's alongside the Hopkins of this world when it comes to odious former Villa employees.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal