collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Defensive improvement  (Read 8067 times)

Offline eastie

Defensive improvement
« on: November 14, 2013, 02:01:55 PM »
Quote from:  the mirror
By James Nursey | 14/11/13 

Aston Villa fans will not forget last season in a hurry.

It was a crazy, maddening campaign in which supporters often never knew which Paul Lambert side would turn up.

Would it be the side who lost 8-0 at Chelsea and were dumped out of the League Cup semi-final to League Two Bradford.

Or the team who brilliantly won at Man City earlier in the Cup and beat Liverpool at Anfield.

Either way, it was anything but dull as Lambert bloodied a side of youngsters and new foreign talent as his side flirted with the drop.

Last season Villa conceded 69 League goals and without player of the season Brad Guzan in goal it would have been a lot worse.

But this season's current solid mid-table Villa side are now becoming increasingly more predictable.

Villa have four clean sheets already and have conceded just 12 times in 11 games.

That is despite playing seven of the top nine clubs already.

It is quite clear there has been a big defensive transformation at Villa Park.

For starters captain and Dutch international centre-back Ron Vlaar has really stepped up.

I felt Vlaar - when he wasn't injured - had a mediocre campaign at best last season following his £3.2million move from Feyenoord.

I remember challenging the defender to show more leadership when Villa were really struggling.

This season though Vlaar has been immense and has played every League game and been consistently decent.

So credit to Ron for raising his performances and it is no coincidence he now seems to be playing for his country more often too.

Boss Lambert also deserves plaudits for his astute management because I understand his recruitment of former Arsenal defender Scott Marshall to the backroom staff has been very influential.

Lambert was asked about Marshall's contribution recently and actually just stressed the good work of his long-term No.2 Ian Culverhouse.

That's classic Lambert who likes to keep his cards close to his chest.

But my sources at Bodymoor Heath say Marshall has played a telling role since his arrival from Norwich this summer, where he was U21 head development coach.

Marshall is apparently quite a studious, serious fella.

And he has taken up the challenge with gusto and a determination to make a difference.

His arrival looks another superb low-key signing by Lambert.

His work certainly appears to be paying dividends after Villa recorded their second successive clean sheet against Cardiff.

The visitors never looked like scoring and did not trouble Guzan as fellow defenders Nathan Baker, Ciaran Clark and Leandro Bacuna also impressed.

Their collective work and that of Lambert's entire coaching team is now ensuring Villa "staying in games" as Lambert describes it.

But I am sure Marshall, who learned his trade at Highbury, has definitely made a real difference.

As a result, Villa have been transformed into a much more reliable - and effectively more boring - outfit who are by consequence far more likely to pick up points.

Offline supertom

Re: Defensive improvement
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 02:11:54 PM »
Most decent sides should start from the back. Get that right, then you can work on the attacking side. I think Lambo tried it the other way round last season and it didn't entirely work, at times disastrously so.
As long as we stay solid defensively we've got that base. A couple of new signings and bit more training ground work on our passing and movement, and we'll be more entertaining in attack too I  feel. I think if we can win 3 of our next 4 home games, which we should be looking to do (one of those is Utd, and it could go either way dependant on how much they improve between now and then). The others should be games we're expecting to win in.
If we can breed a bit of confidence at VP, that will be a start. Not losing at home, putting on an unbeaten run would be a good start.
Away from home we may find it harder than Feb-march last season, as teams tighten up on us and don't allow us to break at pace as often. So staying hard to beat and picking up points against bottom 12 opposition remains essential.
Sign some guile and quality in midfield and the attacking side takes a step up I think. Until then I suspect results will stay on a similar level, which is good enough. It keeps us on course for around the 50 point region, well clear of the drop.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 02:15:02 PM »
Personally i had never heard of this Scott Marshall fella - but fair play to him and PL for bringing him in, as it's plain for all to see the difference
in our defensive capabilities/ strengths.....long may it continue. So spot on from James Nursey!!!

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 02:28:23 PM »
like bouma before him, vlaar has improved a lot in his second season.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 03:16:38 PM »
Personally i had never heard of this Scott Marshall fella - but fair play to him and PL for bringing him in, as it's plain for all to see the difference
in our defensive capabilities/ strengths.....long may it continue. So spot on from James Nursey!!!

No nor me. We last had an organised defence under Steve Walford. He too is an ex Arsenal defender.

We should bring in Kenny Sansom for the full backs!

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 03:18:48 PM »
It's all very well people saying "he is an international he should be able to slot in" etc etc. but the Premier League is a lot faster and physically more demanding than the other european leagues.  Add in that he probably hadn't seen how most of his opponents played and also the fact that he was expected to baby mind the rest of the defence, then personally I don't think Vlaar should have had as much criticism thrown his way as he did.  This season the others are performing better, he now knows what most opponents are like, he is used to the pace and physicality and he is obviously a lot happier with himself.  This is reflected in his performances.

Offline eastie

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 03:23:25 PM »
Last season Vlaar had to adapt to a new country , new league and new teammates - along with this he shouldered the responsibility of the captaincy and was the leader of a young inexperienced defence , also he had his share of injury problems so it's no surprise it has taken a while to see him perform at this level - he now looks settled and is thriving on the captaincy -  this season he has been superb , and the defence on the whole have improved greatly .

Online LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 03:27:45 PM »
And we still have Okore to come in next season. He will be like a new signing. Again.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 03:29:40 PM »
Vlaar got a lot of unfair stick last season, but has still improved this term.

A very good signing for the money we paid.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 03:31:02 PM »
Hopefully Vlaar will weigh in with the odd spectacular goal this season as well.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 03:53:17 PM »

No nor me. We last had an organised defence under Steve Walford. He too is an ex Arsenal defender.

In't he living rough?

Offline eastie

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 04:37:39 PM »

In't he living rough?

Indeed, last i heard he was sleeping on a park bench about a month ago.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 04:45:52 PM »
Vlaar's injury played a part last season too. He was trying to establish himself, got injured and by the time he came back we weren't exactly playing with gusto.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 04:53:35 PM »
Hopefully Vlaar will weigh in with the odd spectacular goal this season as well.

Hit it! Go on, hit it!

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 04:57:18 PM »
I thought he was gash last season, but he's certainly improved this. One of these days he may even start to deserve to be called by his nickname "Concrete Ron".

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal