collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:38:25 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

Brian Evans by maidstonevillain
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Jacob Ramsey by AV84
[Today at 12:12:05 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 12:04:41 AM]

Matty Cash - Polish international by PeterWithe
[Today at 12:03:00 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:02:34 AM]

Press-ing on triumphantly by dave.woodhall
[April 18, 2024, 11:47:47 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Charles N'zogbia update  (Read 105815 times)

Offline eastie

Charles N'zogbia update
« on: November 14, 2013, 09:07:36 AM »
Quote from: Birmingham mail

Aston Villa’s forgotten man Charles N’Zogbia will be out of action until next year, with his injury proving to be more serious than first feared.

It was thought N’Zogbia, who ruptured his Achilles tendon on holiday in the summer, might be able to resume training in time for the festive programme of fixtures next month.

But it now seems as if the 27-year-old winger will be sidelined from Paul Lambert ’s squad until January at the earliest.

N’Zogbia originally sustained the injury while keeping fit ahead of pre-season during a summer break in Miami.

He had an operation in the States in June and Villa’s head of sport and exercise medicine, Dr Roddy MacDonald, flew over there to accompany him back to England for his rehabilitation.

N’Zogbia impressed in flashes last season during an individual campaign which summed up his stop-start claret and blue career since being signed by former boss Alex McLeish in July 2011.

The French international was stripped of his No.10 shirt by Lambert and given No.36 during the summer, amid suggestions that he was surplus to requirements.

However, the £9.5 million wideman still has two-and-a-half years left on his contract, having been signed on a five-year deal committing him to Villa until 2016.

N’Zogbia, who has scored five goals for Villa in 60 starts and substitute appearances over two seasons, played his last game for the claret and blues in the 3-0 defeat at Manchester United in April , when he was substituted at half-time.

Meanwhile, Villa hope a fortnight’s break from Premier League action will give some of their other current casualties time to recover before the derby with West Bromwich Albion at the Hawthorns a week on Monday.

Goalkeeper Brad Guzan and central defender Ciaran Clark have been excused as a precautionary measure from international duty with the United States and Ireland respectively.

Central midfielder Fabian Delph (knee), striker Andi Weimann (hamstring) and left-back Antonio Luna (hamstring) are also expected to be fit for the November 25 match.

Gary Gardner is believed to be making good progress with a back problem and could resume training in the next fortnight but Joe Bennett’s back injury could take longer to clear up.

Along with N’Zogbia, Jores Okore is Villa’s other long-term casualty.

Okore had an operation on his knee in late September with the cruciate ligament problem still set to sideline him for the rest of the season.

Offline danlanza

Re: Charles N'zogbia update
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 09:39:47 AM »
Just makes you realise how bad our injury problems are.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 09:48:09 AM »
When it says that Guzan and Clark have been excused as a precautionary measure does that imply that they're carrying knocks? Or is it just as a 'just in case' thing? Because if Guzan ever got injured that would be horrendous for us, I wouldn't trust Steer just yet.

One thing Lambert's not had is luck with injuries, whereas MON had an abundance. It's amazing considering he never rotated the squad, and I'm convinced it played a huge factor in our 'success' under him.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 09:50:10 AM »
That's a strange article. I thought it was common knowledge that he was out until the new year anyway.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 09:55:46 AM »
We have had rotten luck with injuries since MON left. Houllier and TSM hardly had it easy with injuries either.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 10:03:02 AM »
Bet you a tenner he'll still be out injured in February.  He's this year's Richard Dunne.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 10:06:55 AM »
I thought he was out for the season anyway.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 10:07:06 AM »
Can't see him playing for us again.

Offline supertom

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 10:13:12 AM »
Perhaps there was something to O Neill's easier going approach to training? Largely MON was very lucky with injuries. Gabby only started picking up more regular injuries and niggles once Houllier came in.

But anyway, I think Lambos mind has been made up on Zogbia. I'm not sure he knows where he could fit him in. And again, his outlay for someone who's gonna be on at least 50k a week, is not enough. I think we could actually use him right now because at his best he's got a bit of guile we're lacking at times, but even if he was fit, I'm not sure he'd be in the side. He had a brief purple patch for us last year but went quiet again. I think Lambo probably made his mind up at that Utd game. Much like Holman, he'd given Brett a shot. He played okay initially but couldn't sustain it, and just wasnt offering enough (that was more down to a lack in quality compared to Zoggy) and made up his mind.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 10:23:15 AM »
We have had rotten luck with injuries since MON left. Houllier and TSM hardly had it easy with injuries either.
Is it luck? We never seemed to have problems with this kind of thing under O'Neill. Surely coaching and conditioning have a lot to do with it.

Look at Lionel Messi, a history of muscle problems in his youth, Guardiola comes in and he barely misses a game for the next four years. New coaching staff come in and he's had three muscle injuries in the last six months. Robin van Persie - five or six years where he barely managed to play half a season, he's given two years of deciding when and how he trains and plays two unbroken seasons. New coaching staff come in and put him on the same training as the rest of the team and he's had two separate injuries already this season.

And I'm pretty certain that the fact that Arsenal have had nearly a whole team out injured for the last eight years can't be put down to just bad luck.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 10:26:14 AM »
That's a strange article. I thought it was common knowledge that he was out until the new year anyway.

It seemed like a long winded way of saying we hoped to have him back for the Christmas period but it will be a few weeks after that. I like him as an impact sub but I think Lambert might freeze him out totally.

Offline eastie

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 10:27:27 AM »
I thought he was out for the season anyway.

According to kendrick it had been hoped he may start training next month so still hope for later in the season .
His contribution was huge against west ham last season in a much needed win but he has rarely looked like the player he did at wigan sadly.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:29:13 AM by eastie »

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 10:35:22 AM »
He has been poor for us, I would get rid if possible if not we've got to play him, can't have a player in the reserves for 3 years

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 10:36:25 AM »
He had some great games after Xmas , WBA away and west ham spring to mind, then again he was woeful vs Bradford both games

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 10:44:43 AM »
It's an interesting question - had Charlie not been injured, would he have been in the bomb squad?

To me it's all about value for money and Lambert would want more than he gives for what he's earning, so he'd want rid and use the money on 2 or 3 players who would contribute more.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal