collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Takeover rumours  (Read 164963 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Red Bull to give us wings?
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2013, 08:27:49 AM »
Amidst all this looking back at departed managers and this daft rumour is one question; would you sell the footballing soul of Aston Villa for a league title and european cup?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 08:31:05 AM by Ads »

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2013, 08:40:57 AM »
Amidst all this looking back at departed managers and this daft rumour is one question; would you sell the footballing soul of Aston Villa for a league title and european cup?

No.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2013, 08:57:57 AM »
As far as I'm concerned football lost it's soul years ago, and Villa are part of that whether we like it or not.

Fuck it, go for it, as selfish as this sounds to those who still invest a large part of their life and income into Aston Villa, it won't affect my part-time support one iota if we go down the Citeh and Chelsea route and at least I'll be able to bask in the reflected glory when the trophies start coming in.

Offline dekko

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2013, 09:19:28 AM »
Keep the colours, name, badge and stadium and they can do what they like IMO

Offline eastie

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2013, 09:34:30 AM »
As far as I'm concerned football lost it's soul years ago, and Villa are part of that whether we like it or not.

Fuck it, go for it, as selfish as this sounds to those who still invest a large part of their life and income into Aston Villa, it won't affect my part-time support one iota if we go down the Citeh and Chelsea route and at least I'll be able to bask in the reflected glory when the trophies start coming in.

I'm with  you coops, if it means winning trophies, titles and European glory again I'd be prepared to see us go down the man city route .

Whatever anyone wanted to rename it it would still be villa park to us .
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 09:38:45 AM by eastie »

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2013, 09:37:15 AM »
If meant we could be competitive again. If it meant we could be a force in the game again. If it meant we would no longer be overtaken by clubs like Spurs.
I'd say, bring it on!

Rename the stadium ? It it meant we were competing, then so what.
 I've been going to 'the villa' for nearly 40, years. It will always be 'the villa' to me.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2013, 12:28:13 PM »
Think anyway forward has to be looked at. Villa park is world famous and has been the venue to some of the biggest events in football history along with concerts etc. But the clubs immediate success is measured by how the current team is performing and if names of multi billion pound sponsors can help with that so be it .......

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2013, 12:56:38 PM »

Yes

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2013, 12:58:08 PM »

If Red Bull wanted to give us 10m a year for say 5 years to rename the ground Red Bull Park i'd snap their hands off.

And here's why, IT WOULDN'T CHANGE A THING except give us 50m to hopefully buy something more than potential.

I'd still call it Villa Park, you'd still call it Villa Park and it would still be Villa Park.

No brainer.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2013, 01:13:36 PM »
A world where everyone knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2013, 02:47:00 PM »

If Red Bull wanted to give us 10m a year for say 5 years to rename the ground Red Bull Park i'd snap their hands off.

And here's why, IT WOULDN'T CHANGE A THING except give us 50m to hopefully buy something more than potential.

I'd still call it Villa Park, you'd still call it Villa Park and it would still be Villa Park.

No brainer.

I get what you mean.

But it would regularly be referred to as Red Bull Arena (or similar) in print and on TV.

It's a no for me.  Extra revenue?  Yes please. But not at the expense of the name or colours or ground.

That kind of deal would suit a club with little > no history, so I don't see ourselves or Everton as candidates. Cardiff, Hull or MK Dons makes more sense.  Areas with a sizeable population, but nondescript football clubs.

Offline Dave Cooper please

• GM : 20.04.2019
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2013, 02:53:56 PM »
A world where everyone knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Yes, but this is a stark choice between selling your soul and having a chance of winning something again or being all moralistic about it all and knowing that the odd decent cup run and maybe a UEFA Cup spot is realistically the best we'll ever get from now on in.
And given that we are already (sort of) competing in a League that sold it's soul to the highest bidder years ago my current thinking is, fuck it, let's grab the cocaine and join the bloody party!

I once thought like you Lee, and I was amongst those who were convinced the Sky bubble would burst sooner rather than later, but unfortunately it's proving one hell of a sturdy bubble isn't it?

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2013, 03:28:34 PM »

No brainer.

I get what you mean.

But it would regularly be referred to as Red Bull Arena (or similar) in print and on TV.

It's a no for me.  Extra revenue?  Yes please. But not at the expense of the name or colours or ground.

That kind of deal would suit a club with little > no history, so I don't see ourselves or Everton as candidates. Cardiff, Hull or MK Dons makes more sense.  Areas with a sizeable population, but nondescript football clubs.

I genuinely couldn't care less, it'd still be Villa Park to me and anyone else interested in football. Just as the NEC is still the NEC not the LG Arena, Bescot Stadium is still Bescot Stadum and so on and so on

You can't change peoples mindset just by sticking a new sign up on an old building and expect people to start calling it something new.

The Trough in Walsall became the Rising Sun but everyone i knew still called it the Trough, ditto the Wheatsheaf up the road. A name is not easily changed

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2013, 03:40:02 PM »
As far as I'm concerned as soon as we renamed the Witton Lane Stand we set a precedent, I'd rather we rename stands/the ground for profit rather than as an ego trip.

So long as a club called Aston villa play in claret and blue at a ground in Aston/Witton I couldn't care less about the rest.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2013, 03:49:26 PM »
Our Monday Night Football comes to you from the Lillettes Arena  it gives you wings, Aston Body Form take on the red devils of Mcdonalds United.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal