collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

Recent Posts

Re: Football Arrests by Ads
[Today at 12:48:15 AM]

Re: Football Arrests by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:31:51 AM]

Re: Small Heath: The gift that keeps on giving by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:20:52 AM]

Re: Football Arrests by SaddVillan
[November 15, 2018, 11:57:47 PM]

Re: Scudamore & the Premier League by SaddVillan
[November 15, 2018, 11:52:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2018/19 by Marlon From Bearwood
[November 15, 2018, 10:39:49 PM]

Re: Small Heath: The gift that keeps on giving by olaftab
[November 15, 2018, 10:02:33 PM]

Re: Small Heath: The gift that keeps on giving by Ad@m
[November 15, 2018, 09:55:30 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan Hutton  (Read 162749 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Alan Hutton
« Reply #1800 on: November 09, 2018, 01:44:55 PM »
I think we are all agreed that we need fullbacks pushing on when there is space and players should drop in to cover them.  The problem comes when it is tight or you are into the 2nd or 3rd phase of play and the fullback is still up there at the expense of the midfield player who is covering him and who would be better offensively with the ball than the fullback. This happens so many times with our fullbacks.

Yep, there's 2 solutions, you either tell your fullbacks to stay deeper so they can quickly get back if we lose possession (this was Bruce's approach) or you find fullbacks that contribute more.  For me the 4 players who need to always be aware of their positioning (in a 433 based team) are the centre backs, the defensive midfielder and the striker. Everyone else should be able to, when we're in our attacking 3rd, start to look for space, or makes runs to create space and I include the fullbacks in that, I want them to feel they can go beyond their winger, outside or inside.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #1801 on: November 09, 2018, 04:03:00 PM »
I think we are all agreed that we need fullbacks pushing on when there is space and players should drop in to cover them.  The problem comes when it is tight or you are into the 2nd or 3rd phase of play and the fullback is still up there at the expense of the midfield player who is covering him and who would be better offensively with the ball than the fullback. This happens so many times with our fullbacks.

Yep, there's 2 solutions, you either tell your fullbacks to stay deeper so they can quickly get back if we lose possession (this was Bruce's approach) or you find fullbacks that contribute more.  For me the 4 players who need to always be aware of their positioning (in a 433 based team) are the centre backs, the defensive midfielder and the striker. Everyone else should be able to, when we're in our attacking 3rd, start to look for space, or makes runs to create space and I include the fullbacks in that, I want them to feel they can go beyond their winger, outside or inside.

which is useful if said fullback can actually do anything with the ball in those forward positions. if not they might as well stay back surely?

Offline passport1

• Underneath their clothes people are sheep
« Reply #1802 on: November 09, 2018, 05:08:34 PM »
Probably heard Smithy talking about Barcelona yesterday. Its good to dream.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1803 on: November 09, 2018, 09:45:16 PM »

which is useful if said fullback can actually do anything with the ball in those forward positions. if not they might as well stay back surely?

I guess it depends, if Smith wants to play like that (as seems to be the case) then it's better to implement it the best he can and then try to replace the players who aren't suited in January once they've had a decent chance to pick things up in training and have shown they're not going to adapt.