collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan McCafu  (Read 279671 times)

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
Re: Alan Hutton
« Reply #1770 on: November 03, 2018, 11:04:00 PM »
I think he gets a lot of stick that e doesn't deserve. He's obviously not, say, Cafu(!), and he's no Mark Delaney either. But I think that for where we are, our priorities are in several areas of the pitch way before we get to right-back.

I'm not sure that right back isn't a priority. But I'd like to see us give other right backs at the club a proper chance first - De Laet and Bree (not Richards!) - before going out and bringing in yet another.

Offline Pvb1968

« Reply #1771 on: November 04, 2018, 03:09:48 AM »
De laet looked good pre season.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1772 on: November 04, 2018, 02:21:12 PM »
Hutton is mediocre at best.
I'm surprised Smith hasn't tried someone else at RB; he has some options in that position.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #1773 on: November 04, 2018, 05:01:34 PM »
He's left handed you know

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #1774 on: November 04, 2018, 06:37:25 PM »
Still our best right back, still our best left back.

Not the greatest player ever to pull on a shirt, but he is Villa through and through and has grafted. Better than Bree, DeLaet, Taylor, Elmo, Richards all of whom have been bought in to replace him over the years.

I don't understand the stick he gets tbh.

Offline SheffieldVillain

« Reply #1775 on: November 04, 2018, 09:00:44 PM »
Still our best right back, still our best left back.

Not the greatest player ever to pull on a shirt, but he is Villa through and through and has grafted. Better than Bree, DeLaet, Taylor, Elmo, Richards all of whom have been bought in to replace him over the years.

I don't understand the stick he gets tbh.

Because, in the same way that when Bruce was coming out with 'all I ask of them is that they put on their boots and put in a shift', it isn't all that matters.

Who knows whether Bree or De Laet are better than him, they've never had a run in the team. Taylor wasn't brought in to replace him either. He was bought in to be a left-back, admittedly not something he's very good at.

As for 'Villa through and through' - we happen to be the club who have paid him very well for the last 7 years, his employer nothing else. The amount of interest during his bomb squad days suggests he has done very well to be on the contract and length of time he's had here.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1776 on: November 04, 2018, 09:21:29 PM »
Maybe, but we have had plenty of players that have taken the money for fuck all over the years. Even during the bomb squad days, Hutton always kept himself match fit, as evidenced by his Scotland performances when he never looked unfit.

Offline SheffieldVillain

« Reply #1777 on: November 04, 2018, 09:45:56 PM »
Maybe, but we have had plenty of players that have taken the money for fuck all over the years. Even during the bomb squad days, Hutton always kept himself match fit, as evidenced by his Scotland performances when he never looked unfit.

Wouldnt argue with that. Doesn't make him 'Villa through and through' or a good enough full back in 2019 though, just someone who takes a bit of pride in himself.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1778 on: November 04, 2018, 10:14:02 PM »
Maybe not Villa ‘through and through’, but I think he’s very much a Villa man.
Remember, he could have left in the summer and took a massive pay cut in order to stay, and all that was before we had any inkling of the takeover.

I don’t mind Hutton at all, FOR NOW.
He’s still good enough for this level and I’d even go so far as to say I wouldn’t mind seeing him back at left back again (he’s better than Taylor) with Elmo coming in at right back.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #1779 on: November 04, 2018, 10:56:25 PM »
For all his so called effort (which I don't buy into) his defensive positioning is often hopeless.  Loads of opposition chances and goals stem from him being way off where he should be or simply switching off and  losing his man.  There was another example on Friday, the one Chester cleared off the line, the header came from where Hutton should have been.  De Laet and Bree may be well better, we've not really had a chance to find out.

Offline SheffieldVillain

« Reply #1780 on: November 04, 2018, 11:06:47 PM »
Remember, he could have left in the summer and took a massive pay cut in order to stay, and all that was before we had any inkling of the takeover.

Depends what other offers he got, doesn't it. I doubt there would have been many if any offering the money he was on for his old contract.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #1781 on: November 05, 2018, 08:40:54 AM »
[/quote

Depends what other offers he got, doesn't it. I doubt there would have been many if any offering the money he was on for his old contract.

Wasn't he offered a longer contract at Forest I think it was?  That makes a big difference for a player of his age.  Football is cliché-ridden but as far as I'm concerned, not a great footballer but close to a model professional.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1782 on: November 05, 2018, 11:39:59 AM »
Certainly can't question his commitment. Last season on the whole he was good but then in an SB team all full backs are required to be solid defensively and get in the odd cross.

I think in this style though the full backs need to be good passers, link well with the forwards and get regularly to to the byline. The two we started on Friday simply won't do it. AEM is probably better bet up to January as he does have a decent cross on him but don't think Dean wants to shift Hutton back to left back as he prefers balance on both flanks.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1783 on: November 05, 2018, 01:05:12 PM »
For all his so called effort (which I don't buy into) his defensive positioning is often hopeless.  Loads of opposition chances and goals stem from him being way off where he should be or simply switching off and  losing his man.  There was another example on Friday, the one Chester cleared off the line, the header came from where Hutton should have been.  De Laet and Bree may be well better, we've not really had a chance to find out.
Exactly, he is a repeat offender at being in the wrong place at 5he wrong time.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #1784 on: November 05, 2018, 01:15:40 PM »
Fantastic professional in attitude.
Average professional in ability.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal