collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan McCafu  (Read 278380 times)

Offline supertom

Re: Alan Hutton
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 01:56:05 PM »
Alan Hutton has been well known as being a player who looks better at international level. Quite how I don't know because generally, tackling is even more stringently controlled at that level, and the guy is a walking leg breaker. He was fucking horrendous for us. It's no exaggeration to say he could have had 3-4 (maybe more) red cards in his season under McLeish. He also got away with a few nailed on penalties which the ref and lino didn't spot. I recall him handling in the box on a number of occasions.
Aside from getting away with it a lot of times, due to some fortune, he still gave away numerous freekicks in dangerous areas (as did Collins and Warnock that year). Honestly that defence that year just gave me nightmares. It was gifted goal always waiting to happen. We'd give away limitless set pieces in good areas and had an innate inability to defend them. Hutton was the worst of the bunch as he was also pretty hopeless going forward.

I'm glad Charlie Adam isn't in charge here if he thinks Hutton is our best right back. As others have said, Lowton, Bacuna and even Herd have more right to play at this level in that position. I'd even play Okore or Donacien head of him.

Wretched player. It was also his wages which were the stumbling block for him to move back to Spain. He also stated earlier in the summer he wouldn't move back to Mallorca despite enjoying himself, because he didn't want to play at that level. But they wouldn't have had the cash in any case. No one from England has wanted him, even at Champ level, where conceivably, many clubs could afford a substantial chunk of his wages (at least in comparison to the sort of Spanish clubs after him).

He'll probably get a move in Jan. It won't be in the Premiership though.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 02:04:33 PM »
Stoke might have him.

Offline Fergal

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 02:10:40 PM »
If he's so good, why has nobody of note been willing to take him on? Didn't he turn down a couple of offers in the summer - in which case he's not entirely blameless for his lack of match practice.
How did we finish up with him in the first place?  Someone must have thought he was worth it, and that is why we are in the state we are in now.

Offline supertom

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 02:11:05 PM »
Stoke might have him.
I hope so. There had been rumours but they never transpired.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 02:13:10 PM »
If he's so good, why has nobody of note been willing to take him on? Didn't he turn down a couple of offers in the summer - in which case he's not entirely blameless for his lack of match practice.
How did we finish up with him in the first place?  Someone must have thought he was worth it, and that is why we are in the state we are in now.

A chapter in our history that we're still trying to put behind us.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 02:13:57 PM »
I said a few months ago Alex mcleish must have cost this club at least £40m in wasted money. Hutton alone will cost about £10m

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 02:15:14 PM »

because Luke Young wanted to go home to London and we had TSM as manager who knew him from his Rangers days. Spurs had paid 9m for him quite astonishingly a few years prior. TSM, Hutton and Aston Villa. That could be a chapter unot itself as a sub section when referencing the darker days in our modern history.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 02:16:59 PM »
I don't think he should be playing, but not naming him in our squad of 25 just in case we get an injury crisis seems petty.

I suspect he turned down a move somewhere that would've required a wage drop and Lambert is trying to force him to take an inferior deal elsewhere by making life at Villa unbearable.

Sadly for us, he's contracted till the end of next season.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 02:47:04 PM »
He looked good at Rangers and was unlucky with injuries at Spurs. But he didn't impress me when he was on loan at Sunderland and to say he didn't impress me in his season with us would be an understatement. I agree with richardhubbard,  I would sooner play Bacuna, Lowton or Herd. I also agree with supertom, he could have had a number of penalties and red cards given against him that he got away with.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »
I agree with supertom also, I too would play Okore in front of him, even on one leg.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 03:50:18 PM »
He went to Spurs on the back of good performances in scotland (not hard) he was shit and IS shit, got frozen out, HE who can't be named brought him for far too much money, was shit, didn't get frozen out because he brought him, new manager came in said you're shit a froze him out, Simple

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 04:11:40 PM »
I'm sure everyone has their own nominee, but he's genuinely the worst player i've ever seen in an Aston Villa shirt. Others may have been more frustrating, or not arsed about having the good fortune to play for the club, but Hutton is a player who, in my opinion, has no discernable talent that justifies him having a career as a professional footballer.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2013, 05:06:41 PM »
This is the definition of the word Liability from a non financial sense:

li·a·bil·i·ty  (l-bl-t)
n. pl.li·a·bil·i·ties

1. The state of being liable.

2. Something that holds one back; a handicap.

3. Alan Hutton at Right Back for Aston Villa

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 05:08:05 PM »
I'm sure everyone has their own nominee, but he's genuinely the worst player i've ever seen in an Aston Villa shirt. Others may have been more frustrating, or not arsed about having the good fortune to play for the club, but Hutton is a player who, in my opinion, has no discernable talent that justifies him having a career as a professional footballer.

See also Lee Catermole, fucking awful players that have no right to earn what they do

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 05:31:38 PM »
I think there's a bit of revisionism going on in how dirty everyone says he is. I'm sure there were plenty defending him even at his most reckless (the lunge on Long).

He's clearly got some use, he wouldn't have played for Spurs or even us if he didn't and at times last season I was cursing Lambert's jettison-ing of him and some of the other seniors. He has some nous and decent experience at this level which we lacked chronically last season. We still do a bit but Lowton came on leaps and bounds before his dip in form this season and Ole-Oh!-Leandro has really stepped-up to the plate so Alan (who is probably on more than Bacuna and Lowton combined), if he really wants to play regularly, would be best served forgoing the last six months of his contract in January and joining Leicester or someone.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal