collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan McCafu  (Read 279760 times)

Offline mr underhill

Re: Alan Hutton
« Reply #1410 on: May 18, 2018, 09:17:15 AM »
wasn't it on Sauchiehall Street? Had some truly mad times in Glasgow in the early 80s.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1411 on: May 18, 2018, 12:16:22 PM »
It’s such a strange situation, and indicative of the ludicrous amount of money swilling around in the Premier League, that the outcome of one game could completely change the futures of a number of players in our squad.

West Brom got nearly £95m for finishing bottom!!!

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1412 on: May 18, 2018, 01:48:05 PM »
What really pisses me off about that is the facilities money, the games chosen for TV are done entirely by the broadcasters and yet it can make a difference of £20m, that's an extra player or 2 for many of the smaller clubs.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1413 on: May 18, 2018, 01:50:35 PM »
Indeed. The Burnley TV appearances is a disgrace.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1414 on: May 18, 2018, 02:00:18 PM »
It is, but the league is also making a shed load of money broadcasting games abroad and Burnley isn't going to sell as well as the sides they most often choose to show. I imagine if we go up we'll be somewhere in the middle.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1415 on: May 18, 2018, 02:59:30 PM »
What really pisses me off about that is the facilities money, the games chosen for TV are done entirely by the broadcasters and yet it can make a difference of £20m, that's an extra player or 2 for many of the smaller clubs.
Yes, that is a scandal.  TV money should be an equal split.

I also think merit money is too weighted.  How can clubs ever catch up if others are getting £40m more per season?  The gap can only get bigger and now the FFP drawbridge has been pulled up it's nigh on impossible to break into the elite.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1416 on: May 18, 2018, 05:07:40 PM »
The side that finishes top should get a lot more than the side that finishes bottom imo. Crazy to think that when you add in parachute payments, sponsorship and all the extra money commercial money that comes from being a PL side, that even 1 season in the top flight must be worth at least an extra £150m to a club. 

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1417 on: May 18, 2018, 05:21:48 PM »

I also think merit money is too weighted.  How can clubs ever catch up if others are getting £40m more per season?  The gap can only get bigger and now the FFP drawbridge has been pulled up it's nigh on impossible to break into the elite.
Designed to create an elite that plays on the European stage each year; effectively, a Euro League without the aggro of formalising it.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #1418 on: May 18, 2018, 05:24:45 PM »
It's prize money, first always gets a lot more than last.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1419 on: May 18, 2018, 06:04:08 PM »

Designed to create an elite that plays on the European stage each year; effectively, a Euro League without the aggro of formalising it.

We were debating the formation of a Euro Super League in the pub before the Boro game. Some can see it coming but I can't. It wouldn't be so easy to sell out say Old Trafford if they finished 15th every year and couldn't be relied upon to batter the proles most weeks.

Offline PeterWithesShin

« Reply #1420 on: May 18, 2018, 06:17:00 PM »
For that very reason there won't be one, probably ever despite there being talk about it for 20+ years. The 'big' clubs currently have the best of both worlds, playing the European 'elite' and winning domestic trophies. Only one side could win the Super League and let's say it's Barcelona most years, Juventus, Bayern, PSG, Man City etc aren't going to settle for finishing 5th-20th. Not even anything like a top 4 place at stake as they would already playing each other.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1421 on: May 18, 2018, 06:22:29 PM »
And you could guarantee there would be no promotion or relegation (unless they invented Euro League 2 to stop it from collapsing).

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #1422 on: May 18, 2018, 06:38:22 PM »
Any of the top European teams listed by PWS would sell out for games among themselves. But English teams for example would get a bigger gate watching them play v Spurs, Arsenal et al and local derby matches than the next tier of European clubs like Seville, Inter , PSG etc.

The current format means they get the best of both worlds.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1423 on: May 18, 2018, 06:41:33 PM »
Any of the top European teams listed by PWS would sell out for games among themselves. But English teams for example would get a bigger gate watching them play v Spurs, Arsenal et al and local derby matches than the next tier of European clubs like Seville, Inter , PSG etc.

The current format means they get the best of both worlds.

Initially maybe but long term? How many spoiled PSG fans would keep going to watch them lose to Barcelona if all the glory on offer was a creditable 12th place finish?

Offline TonyD

« Reply #1424 on: May 25, 2018, 12:02:05 AM »
I want to see him tearing down the wing on Saturday.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal