collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan McCafu  (Read 279702 times)

Offline Breezeblock

• GM : 29.11.2024
Re: Alan Hutton
« Reply #1365 on: May 14, 2018, 09:12:00 AM »
He's my player of the season. He's head and shoulders the best full back in the squad. He had Treore in his pocket the whole game on Saturday. He can play both sides.  He was treated appallingly by the club but just got his head down and got on with it. Yet people want rid of him.  Who's going to replace him? Bree? Taylor? Sorry, I really dont get it. 

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #1366 on: May 14, 2018, 09:21:36 AM »
I think that whilst everyone appreciates Alan Hutton's spirit, maybe more could notice that he has also improved a great deal as a footballer. I think his overall game has just got better and better, and not just because he tries hard.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #1367 on: May 14, 2018, 10:03:54 AM »
I think that whilst everyone appreciates Alan Hutton's spirit, maybe more could notice that he has also improved a great deal as a footballer. I think his overall game has just got better and better, and not just because he tries hard.

Totally agree with this Amfy

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1368 on: May 14, 2018, 10:36:16 AM »

Me too, I think being at left back has helped him massively because he's not bombing up field on the overlap so often so instead of trying to get forward and put in crosses and then struggling to get back in position he's now much more focused on the parts of his game that were always ok, and it's making him much more valuable.  This Hutton is fine and serves a purpose, especially in the current playstyle, but he's not the same player as he was even last season when I'd happily have seen him leave on a free, now it's a shame that he's suddenly looking worth a place just as his deal is expiring.

That said I wouldn't give him a new one, he's 33 and in defence in particular we're looking very old. The only first team defender we own who won't be in his 30s by the end of next season is Bree, you can add in Whelan and Jedi as the DMs and they'll both be 34 at the start of next season as well.  If Hutton agreed a low wage and an backup role then maybe he'd be worth keeping around as cover whilst Bree (or a new right back) and a new left back are given gamre time but I think he'll have better offers than that.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1369 on: May 14, 2018, 11:07:20 AM »

Absolutely. I was one who wanted rid of Hutton because his headless runs forward always left us exposed and he never seemed to listen as well as being hot-headed in challenges.

Since Bruce came in though, he's applied himself, rarely gets caught out, makes good challenges, doesn't lose his head and has been a top pro. Whether he'd be good enough for the Premier League I'm not sure, but he deserves another year I'd say.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1370 on: May 14, 2018, 11:46:02 AM »
It used to be the case that you coundlt offer a player a new contract on less money, you had to offer a free transfer.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1371 on: May 14, 2018, 12:38:44 PM »

I was never his biggest fan but certainly have come round to what he brings to the team and club. Interestingly his best form for us has come as LB where he seems a better fit, but it should also be tempered by the fact that he's playing at a lower level. Championship football is a lot less technical and not remotely as fast as the PL is and it's often the speed of movement that caught Hutton out and he was left making desperate challenges. Personally I would love to keep him but only in a back up capacity if we go up, and as a starting option if we don't.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #1372 on: May 14, 2018, 01:01:46 PM »
As great as he has been this season, especially at LB, he has definitely found his level now at his age, if we go up id be at the front queue to congratulate him on a fantastic season, but he would be found out most weeks at a higher level.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1373 on: May 14, 2018, 01:06:50 PM »
I'd definitely give him a new deal if the wages were sensible.  A replacement will be 2-3 million and we have bigger problems to address.  We've found it enormously difficult to find competent full backs over the last few years so I have no idea why we wouldn't want to keep the only one we have.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #1374 on: May 14, 2018, 01:14:01 PM »
I'd definitely give him a new deal if the wages were sensible.  A replacement will be 2-3 million and we have bigger problems to address.  We've found it enormously difficult to find competent full backs over the last few years so I have no idea why we wouldn't want to keep the only one we have.
Probably closer to £8-10m someone OK in todays market.

Offline Chris Stares

« Reply #1375 on: May 14, 2018, 03:03:38 PM »
We do have another option at RB in De Laet, assuming he comes back to us after his loan is finished.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #1376 on: May 14, 2018, 04:20:06 PM »

He has been far better this year and last, but lets not forget the league we're in.

He's 34, earns a bomb load and isn't good enough if we go up and is keeping a younger player out if we stay down.

Is he really worth giving another lucrative contract to for anything other than he tries hard ?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1377 on: May 14, 2018, 04:24:57 PM »

He has been far better this year and last, but lets not forget the league we're in.

He's 34, earns a bomb load and isn't good enough if we go up and is keeping a younger player out if we stay down.

Is he really worth giving another lucrative contract to for anything other than he tries hard ?

Was never his biggest fan, but I thought he had a good season last season as well.  I think we are going to have to strengthen in both full-back areas no matter which division we are in next season and although Hutton's versatility would mean he would be a decent squad option for at least one more season, finances will dictate if that is an option or not.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #1378 on: May 14, 2018, 05:00:31 PM »
From The Express and Star.

Hutton is out of contract in the summer and Bruce has previously indicated his future at Villa Park depended on the club regaining Premier League status.
But with the 33-year-old having put in a string of impressive performances, Bruce will attempt to convince owner Tony Xia the Scot is worthy of a new deal, even if the club remain in the Championship.
“I’ve continued to say this about Alan Hutton. He is everything I enjoy about a player,” said Bruce.
“He goes home, is one of the first in, and you can see his fitness levels at 33 are quite remarkable.
“He’s been terrific since I’ve been here.
“If I get my way there will certainly be a contract offered to him.”
Hutton will again be tasked with man-marking Middlesbrough’s Adama Traore with Villa protecting a 1-0 lead in Tuesday’s play-off semi-final second-leg.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1379 on: May 14, 2018, 07:25:00 PM »
It won't surprise me to see Traore being played in a more central role tomorrow with Penis launching long balls over the top of Terry or Chester for him to run on to.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal